Page 63 of 68 FirstFirst ... 13536162636465 ... LastLast
Results 621 to 630 of 674

Thread: Rams select Michael Sam, NFL's first openly gay player [W:282]

  1. #621
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Rams select Michael Sam, NFL's first openly gay player [W:282]

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    *sigh* Yeah, 80+ years of advancing helmet science and personal experience says people knew that playing football threatened brain damage... except you say it doesn't because you don't seem to understand that people suspect things before they conduct a study (why else pursue the topic?), or admit it is a potential problem (when millions of dollars are at stake). Like I said, there is no other way to explain it to you.
    Like I was saying to the other poster, of course people knew there was a potential for head injury. But at one time, I was around quite a bit of football. I just don't see how anyone can say that it was widely known that there was a large risk associated with repeated blows to the head that might not manifest themselves as injury immediately, but could have devastating effects over the long term.

  2. #622
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,696

    Re: Rams select Michael Sam, NFL's first openly gay player [W:282]

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    Like I was saying to the other poster, of course people knew there was a potential for head injury. But at one time, I was around quite a bit of football. I just don't see how anyone can say that it was widely known that there was a large risk associated with repeated blows to the head that might not manifest themselves as injury immediately, but could have devastating effects over the long term.
    And like I said, those of us paying attention knew the risk because we followed boxing and could put 2 and 2 together.
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

  3. #623
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Rams select Michael Sam, NFL's first openly gay player [W:282]

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    And like I said, those of us paying attention knew the risk because we followed boxing and could put 2 and 2 together.
    Well I didn't. And I was from a football family. I used to party with people in the pros. I don't ever recall anyone mentioning it.

  4. #624
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Rams select Michael Sam, NFL's first openly gay player [W:282]

    I was just thinking that football has been associated with modern conceptions of what it means to be a man. This event demonstrates that those notions are undergoing fundamental change. At the same time it will have the effect of changing those notions as well. It's interesting how that works in both directions.

  5. #625
    Student
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    West Bloomfield, MI
    Last Seen
    06-13-14 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    174

    Re: Rams select Michael Sam, NFL's first openly gay player [W:282]

    Quote Originally Posted by northwinds View Post
    The NFL is there for a reason.........to promote the leftist agenda. First they spent a generation promoting blacks....since 1989 the league has consistently drafted only 20-25 percent White players.......now they have taken on the gay agenda with fervor........complete with kissing males on national television. And if you don't go along with the agenda........you are punished like the Miami player who sent out negative tweets about the televised kissing. My generation grew up on football and it's hard to put it down.......but the younger White kids are playing lacrosse and asking their Dads 'why do you spend all weekend watching a bunch of dreadlocked thugs knock into each other?'
    Naw, the younger White kids aren't asking that, it's their butthurt dads who were never able to compete at that level, mad because they see a group of people they that they were better than making the cut.

  6. #626
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: Rams select Michael Sam, NFL's first openly gay player [W:282]

    Quote Originally Posted by CRUE CAB View Post
    Sam, great person wonderful man.
    Tebow, outcast.
    Shows exactly where our nation is heading.
    What are you talking about? Tebow was given a shot and was not good enough. Sam is being given a shot and if he isn't good enough he'll be gone too. The NFL is about winning and money. Everything else only matters to the media and fans.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  7. #627
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Melbourne Florida
    Last Seen
    04-18-17 @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,763

    Re: Rams select Michael Sam, NFL's first openly gay player [W:282]

    Quote Originally Posted by Kreton View Post
    What are you talking about? Tebow was given a shot and was not good enough. Sam is being given a shot and if he isn't good enough he'll be gone too. The NFL is about winning and money. Everything else only matters to the media and fans.
    Tebow was ostracized for his Christianity from the get go.

  8. #628
    free market communist
    Gardener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    09-30-17 @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,661

    Re: Rams select Michael Sam, NFL's first openly gay player [W:282]

    Quote Originally Posted by CRUE CAB View Post
    Tebow was ostracized for his Christianity from the get go.
    It was Christianity that gave him that slow release and inability to read defenses?

    Who woulda thunk!
    "you're better off on Stormfront discussing how evil brown men are taking innocent white flowers." Infinite Chaos

  9. #629
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: Rams select Michael Sam, NFL's first openly gay player [W:282]

    Quote Originally Posted by CRUE CAB View Post
    Tebow was ostracized for his Christianity from the get go.
    By fans and media maybe. However, half the people loved him because of his faith and pretended he was better than he was. Sam is no different in that respect. A **** load of people want him to fail or succeed based on his sexuality (like tebow and his faith) rather than on his football ability.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  10. #630
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: http://www.latimes.com/sports/football/nfl/la-sp-michael-sam-nfl-draft-20140511-s

    People seriously need to stop with the crap about him being co-conference defensive POY. That means nothing. Nothing.

    Hell, I know a two-time national champion and Heisman winner who is begging for a job in football.

Page 63 of 68 FirstFirst ... 13536162636465 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •