Page 62 of 68 FirstFirst ... 12526061626364 ... LastLast
Results 611 to 620 of 674

Thread: Rams select Michael Sam, NFL's first openly gay player [W:282]

  1. #611
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,789

    Re: Rams select Michael Sam, NFL's first openly gay player [W:282]

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    1.)Your'e a huge sports fan but you think a 7th round draft pick deserves a thread ? What the hell ?
    2.) Start a thread about Clowney or someone who deserve the distinction.
    3.) Not start a thread about a Gay dude because hes gay who's not even going to make the roster.
    1.) again where did i say this? you continue to make stuff up
    But on a sports board all drafts get talked about especially if that board has sub boards based on each team but again this isnt about 7th round pick its about equal rights and the lessening of hate, discriminating and bigotry.
    2.) whats he have to do with equal rights?
    3.) again none of this happened so you continued strawman continue to fail and get destroyed.

    still waiting for that qoute by the way, why do you keep dodging this request.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  2. #612
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,789

    Re: Rams select Michael Sam, NFL's first openly gay player [W:282]

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    Whats Funny is YOU'RE the one who's redefining the word "bigot" without even realizing it.

    You broadbrushed a select group based on your bigoted perceptions.

    Liberals are so helplessly ignorant.
    did you really just say that? lol another post that totally fails and tells us all we need to know.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  3. #613
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:24 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    42,886

    Re: Rams select Michael Sam, NFL's first openly gay player [W:282]

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    Whats Funny is YOU'RE the one who's redefining the word "bigot" without even realizing it.

    You broadbrushed a select group based on your bigoted perceptions.

    Liberals are so helplessly ignorant.
    So you accuse me of broadbrushing a select group, and then you broadbrushed a select group.
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  4. #614
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Rams select Michael Sam, NFL's first openly gay player [W:282]

    Used to be coaches would pat you on the butt and say 'good hit' or something. I that happens with Michael Sam people will start talking!

  5. #615
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Rams select Michael Sam, NFL's first openly gay player [W:282]

    Football is a rough sport. I think people are just beginning to understand the effects is has on people. Michael Sam appears to be happy, but like I say, he should be careful

    College football players have visible brain changes

    The brains of college football players may already display the effects of years of taking hits, according to a new brain imaging study.

    Players who had been diagnosed with concussions and those who had been playing for years had smaller hippocampuses - a brain structure critical to memory - compared to those who never played football or played for fewer years, researchers found.

    “Boys hear about the long-term effect on guys when they’re retired from football, but this shows that 20-year-olds might be having some kind of effect,” said Patrick Bellgowan, the study’s senior author from the Laureate Institute for Brain Research in Tulsa, Oklahoma.

    The researchers write in JAMA that they didn’t find any differences in behavior between players and non-players, but Bellgowan told Reuters Health that a smaller hippocampus is linked to depression, schizophrenia and chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE).

    There has been growing concern over whether the connection between contact sports - like football - and CTE, which is a brain disease known to affect some athletes who experience repeated hits to the head, may extend to younger players.

    “We keep hearing about retired football players having diseases that relate back to smaller hippocampuses,” Bellgowan said. “Maybe this is just the precursor of it.”

    The symptoms of CTE, which tend to set in years after the last traumas, often include memory loss, aggression and dementia.

    Between June 2011 and August 2013 the researchers recruited 25 college football players who had been diagnosed with a concussion, 25 players without a history of diagnosed concussion and 25 similar young men who had never played.

    The participants had magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) of their brains and researchers used the images to measure the volume of certain brain regions. The athletes also took a computerized test to assess their cognitive abilities.

    The researchers found that college athletes had hippocampuses between 17 percent and 26 percent smaller than non-athletes. Those who had been diagnosed with concussions also had smaller hippocampuses than the players without past concussions.

    The longer the young men had played football, the smaller their hippocampuses were and the slower their reaction time on one of the tests.

    “People try to understand why some NFL players have what looks like Alzheimer’s in their forties,” Dr. Jeffrey Bazarian said. “How did they get there? I think this study points out the early stages of that.”

    Bazarian was not involved with the new research, but has studied the brains of young athletes at the University of Rochester Medical Center in Rochester, New York.

    “Maybe there is something going on early on,” he said. “None of these players were feeling bad but their brain structure isn’t normal.”

    Both Bellgowan and Bazarian said it will take longer studies to find out whether a smaller hippocampus may cause problems for these athletes in the future.

    For now, Bellgowan suggested that parents and coaches take a conservative approach when dealing with student athletes by taking them to specialists when they walk off the field with a headache.

    “The conservative approach is what I’m hoping to get out there,” he said.

    Bellgowan is also on the faculty at the University of Tulsa, where, he said, "Participation of the athletic department was essential to this work."
    I remember once hitting this guy so hard I started seeing double. You keep doing that over and over, year after year, and there's no telling what sort of effect that has. Back then, a hit like that was glorified.

    http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...0DT24720140513

  6. #616
    Educator HogWash's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Last Seen
    05-03-15 @ 12:47 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    997

    Re: Rams select Michael Sam, NFL's first openly gay player [W:282]

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    Sports, especially immensely popular professional sports like the NFL, aren't part of the culture?
    No, there have been queers in the sporting world for years. Nothing Sam can add will enhance it. In fact, when old Michael meets the turk he'll be nothing but a bad memory.
    Liberalismódividing up the EARNED wealth of honest, hard working and ingenious AMERICANS and giving it to the leeches who would rather waste their worthless lives living off the government teat.
    -----HogWash-----

  7. #617
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    01-15-15 @ 03:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,578

    Re: http://www.latimes.com/sports/football/nfl/la-sp-michael-sam-nfl-draft-20140511-s

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    I agree.

    it isn't that ground breaking and the only reason it is ground breaking is because he said he was gay. big friggen deal. i am hetrosexual where is my media spotlight and everything else. there were several other hetrosexual drafts that went higher so i don't see a big deal being made over them.
    There is a point where you keep saying things like this and people will have to simply ignore you because we already explained it.

    who cares if he was that it isn't the big deal that people are making out of it.
    Why.

    the bigger deal will come when he gets cut if he does for not being able to perform. we will see how these same media people react. i am sure that they will call for the coach to be fired and to boycott the rams.
    Except we know that that isn't going to happen because we saw with the NBA player who came out when he started the year without a job.

  8. #618
    Educator HogWash's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Last Seen
    05-03-15 @ 12:47 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    997

    Re: Rams select Michael Sam, NFL's first openly gay player [W:282]

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    I'm really not sure how many more ways I can say to you that it was no secret when I played football in the 1980s in high school, let alone the NFL before it sinks into your skull. Hell, the ever changing helmet technology over the last 80+ years of NFL history is a clue that the NFL was well aware of the potential for head and brain injury among its players.
    The fact that colleges and high schools started wearing helmets in the 19th century (1893 Army vs Navy) should tell you EVERYBODY was aware of that potential before the NFL was ever heard of.
    Last edited by HogWash; 05-13-14 at 10:02 PM.
    Liberalismódividing up the EARNED wealth of honest, hard working and ingenious AMERICANS and giving it to the leeches who would rather waste their worthless lives living off the government teat.
    -----HogWash-----

  9. #619
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Rams select Michael Sam, NFL's first openly gay player [W:282]

    Quote Originally Posted by HogWash View Post
    The fact that colleges and high schools started wearing helmets in the 19th century (1893 Army vs Navy) should tell you EVERYBODY was aware of that potential before the NFL was ever heard of.
    It's stating the obvious to say that people knew there was a potential for head injury. What is different is that people are now more aware of the various types of injuries that may happen from blows to the head. For example, someone can get hit and it may not be apparent at the moment that there is something wrong, but sustaining blows over and over again over a period of years can have effects that are only recently known.

  10. #620
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,685

    Re: Rams select Michael Sam, NFL's first openly gay player [W:282]

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    And you have offered no evidence that it was "common knowledge" other than to assert that it was so. I have offered evidence to support the notion that it was not widely known the extent of the permanent damage that could occur as a result of repeated blows to the head in football.
    *sigh* Yeah, 80+ years of advancing helmet science and personal experience says people knew that playing football threatened brain damage... except you say it doesn't because you don't seem to understand that people suspect things before they conduct a study (why else pursue the topic?), or admit it is a potential problem (when millions of dollars are at stake). Like I said, there is no other way to explain it to you.
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

Page 62 of 68 FirstFirst ... 12526061626364 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •