Page 55 of 68 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast
Results 541 to 550 of 674

Thread: Rams select Michael Sam, NFL's first openly gay player [W:282]

  1. #541
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,697

    Re: Rams select Michael Sam, NFL's first openly gay player [W:282]

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Make them play with no helmets, like rugby.
    Exactly.
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

  2. #542
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: http://www.latimes.com/sports/football/nfl/la-sp-michael-sam-nfl-draft-20140511-s

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    Not a football fan I take it.

    As an NFL prospect, Sam sucks. And he's bad at football, too.
    You're critiquing other peoples fandom nad then you say something like that. Funny, seems at least one teams scouts, multiple analysts, and others all disagere with you. As an NFL Prospect it's more accurate to say that Sam is pretty average. Measurables aren't the only thing that make a prospect. There was enough on the field tape of Sam to make a majority of draft evaluators rate him around a 5th round grade, enough for the Rams scouts to think he was worth a 7th rounder, and reportedly enough to make scouts from 4 teams think he was worthy of a UDFA pickup.

    He's not "bad" at football. He's not a stand out, he doesn't have a high cieling, and he only went from average to "good" college player this year which gives some pause. Thus a 7th round pick. But unless you're suggesting most UDFA or 7th rounders are "bad" at football I'd say your evaluation is off base.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    This guy almost did not get drafted....He is not a good football player and really was only drafted because he is gay.
    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    If he is so good why did he almost did no get drafted?
    With Erod questioning the other poster's football fandom I wonder if he'll say anything to these obviously uninformed comments.

    Joe Jacoby, Arian Foster, London Fletcher, Wes Welker, Jeff Saturday, James Harrison, Antonio Gates, John Randle, and Bart Scott are a smattering of Undrafted Free Agents that have went on to be some of the best players in their positions if not the league.

    Sometimes good players don't get drafted for a large variety of reasons. One of the best QB's of the past two decades was drafted in the 6th round (Brady), and another was undrafted (Kurt Warner).

    There's no way of knowing or even suggesting he was drafted "only because he was gay". It's actually kind of ridiculous to suggest that an NFL team is going to use some of it's resources on someone simply to make some kind of social statement. It's far more reasonable to assume the Rams felt like he was worth a late round pick for potential depth. Which is in line with what scouts and analysts have suggested Sam was projected for, even prior to him coming out.

  3. #543
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: http://www.latimes.com/sports/football/nfl/la-sp-michael-sam-nfl-draft-20140511-s

    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Actually no.I was using Wist's pretzel logic. He's the one that threw that bs out there. Why aren't you calling out wist for suggesting that homosexuality equals pedophilia?
    Because I don't even know who "wist" is.

  4. #544
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,179

    Re: http://www.latimes.com/sports/football/nfl/la-sp-michael-sam-nfl-draft-20140511-s

    Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    As I said, you guys seem to think it is okay to engage in homosexual acts in front of children - that's an assault on the innocence of those children. I don't care who you hump in your bedroom - knock yourself out; but don't expect that you can behave like that in public, when children are watching, and think you won't get push back.

    Here you're getting push back b/c it was brought out into the public - and you think anyone who objects is a homophobe?? That's the slippery slope, and it is the twisted logic that is pushing the envelope ever further, until - yes, I fully expect it will be a crime to prevent some pervert from molesting my kid.

    The slippery slope never stops being slippery.
    Last I watched the NFL, there wasn't a lot of sex on the field. Homo or hetero. I'd argue also that you really shouldn't have hetero sex in front of children either. Do you make it a habit of having your children watch you bang your wife?


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  5. #545
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,179

    Re: http://www.latimes.com/sports/football/nfl/la-sp-michael-sam-nfl-draft-20140511-s

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    You're critiquing other peoples fandom nad then you say something like that. Funny, seems at least one teams scouts, multiple analysts, and others all disagere with you. As an NFL Prospect it's more accurate to say that Sam is pretty average. Measurables aren't the only thing that make a prospect. There was enough on the field tape of Sam to make a majority of draft evaluators rate him around a 5th round grade, enough for the Rams scouts to think he was worth a 7th rounder, and reportedly enough to make scouts from 4 teams think he was worthy of a UDFA pickup.

    He's not "bad" at football. He's not a stand out, he doesn't have a high cieling, and he only went from average to "good" college player this year which gives some pause. Thus a 7th round pick. But unless you're suggesting most UDFA or 7th rounders are "bad" at football I'd say your evaluation is off base.





    With Erod questioning the other poster's football fandom I wonder if he'll say anything to these obviously uninformed comments.

    Joe Jacoby, Arian Foster, London Fletcher, Wes Welker, Jeff Saturday, James Harrison, Antonio Gates, John Randle, and Bart Scott are a smattering of Undrafted Free Agents that have went on to be some of the best players in their positions if not the league.

    Sometimes good players don't get drafted for a large variety of reasons. One of the best QB's of the past two decades was drafted in the 6th round (Brady), and another was undrafted (Kurt Warner).

    There's no way of knowing or even suggesting he was drafted "only because he was gay". It's actually kind of ridiculous to suggest that an NFL team is going to use some of it's resources on someone simply to make some kind of social statement. It's far more reasonable to assume the Rams felt like he was worth a late round pick for potential depth. Which is in line with what scouts and analysts have suggested Sam was projected for, even prior to him coming out.
    He was, as was pointed out, co-Defensive Player of the year in the SEC. You don't get that if you're not kind of good. Considering that his other "co-DPOY" was a top-20 pick...I'd say that getting that in the 7th round is good value if he can perform. And if he can't, it's not like you wasted a lot on him.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  6. #546
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: http://www.latimes.com/sports/football/nfl/la-sp-michael-sam-nfl-draft-20140511-s

    And in terms of gay players, one of the greatest Tight Ends in Redskins History (and really, if you check his stats, should be up there as one of the all time greats for the NFL) Jerry Smith was homosexual and was seemingly known amongst a number of the players.

  7. #547
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,179

    Re: http://www.latimes.com/sports/football/nfl/la-sp-michael-sam-nfl-draft-20140511-s

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    And in terms of gay players, one of the greatest Tight Ends in Redskins History (and really, if you check his stats, should be up there as one of the all time greats for the NFL) Jerry Smith was homosexual and was seemingly known amongst a number of the players.
    The only difference between Sam and the gay players who have already played (Kopay, Smith, Tuaolo...probably others) is that everybody knew he was gay before he came into the league.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  8. #548
    He's the most tip top
    Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,300

    Re: http://www.latimes.com/sports/football/nfl/la-sp-michael-sam-nfl-draft-20140511-s

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Because I don't even know who "wist" is.
    So let me see if I understand this? You see someone you don't know on this forum say something beyond stupid and you won't respond to them because you don't know them?

    How exactly did you ever get started here?

  9. #549
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: http://www.latimes.com/sports/football/nfl/la-sp-michael-sam-nfl-draft-20140511-s

    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    So let me see if I understand this? You see someone you don't know on this forum say something beyond stupid and you won't respond to them because you don't know them?

    How exactly did you ever get started here?
    Maybe you missed the part where I commented on the "other comments", which incuded many other comments, not just one poster's.

  10. #550
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: http://www.latimes.com/sports/football/nfl/la-sp-michael-sam-nfl-draft-20140511-s

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    He was, as was pointed out, co-Defensive Player of the year in the SEC. You don't get that if you're not kind of good. Considering that his other "co-DPOY" was a top-20 pick...I'd say that getting that in the 7th round is good value if he can perform. And if he can't, it's not like you wasted a lot on him.
    He generally was percieved to have a 5th round grade, and went in the mid 7th...so yeah, decent enough value. It was entirely reasonable though for his "Co-DPOY" to go in the top 20 as opposed to Sam going in the 7th.

    Mosley had two consistent seasons as a MLB with over 100 tackles. His stats were also pretty consistent game in, game out. He was also a freshman all american, two time concensus all american, 2 time SEC first team, a Butkus award winner (best LB in NCAA), and a multi-time national champion. Mosley's measurables were pretty good for a MLB, both in terms of physical stature (height and weight prototypical for the position) and combine (like his 4.4 on his 40 time)

    Sam's only year over 5 sacks as a pash rusher was his senior year. Additionally, 9 of his 11.5 sacks came in a 4 game stretch. In 8 games he didn't register a single sack. This was the only year he was any kind of first team/all american type player. His measurables were relatively poor, coming in a bit under sized for DE but not quick enough for rush OLB.

    I'm not implying that you've suggested otherwise, but I didn't want some people to read that and take away the notion that somehow it was wrong that Sam went in the 7th and the SEC Co-DPOY went in the top 20. Sam in the 7th was decent value (one of MULTIPLE potential value picks, as is the case in every draft), but also likely relatively where he belonged if he was going to be drafted.

Page 55 of 68 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •