Page 42 of 68 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast
Results 411 to 420 of 674

Thread: Rams select Michael Sam, NFL's first openly gay player [W:282]

  1. #411
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    42,861

    Re: Rams select Michael Sam, NFL's first openly gay player [W:282]

    Quote Originally Posted by northwinds View Post
    The NFL is there for a reason.........to promote the leftist agenda.
    Well, that's a new one.
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  2. #412
    Professor

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    11-27-17 @ 09:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,907

    Re: Rams select Michael Sam, NFL's first openly gay player [W:282]

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    well america proves your statement factually false everyday, not only for gays but straights too lol

    if gays had equal rights and there wasnt still a large amount of hatered and bigotry and discrimaintion towards them in this country then you MIGHT have a point but since thats not true your statement if false.

    Not to mention millions are made on the stories of who straight people sleep with daily in the media.

    Now if you want to say it SHOULDNT matter I agree 100% it shouldnt matter but the bigots make it matter along with the gossip king and queens.
    I am saying it doesn't matter. That's the only non bigoted answer. Everything else is taking sides and dividing US into groups of interests. This in my estimation is bad and bigoted in its own way.
    "It is only when men contemplate the greatness of God that they can come to realize their own inadequacy." Jean Calvin

  3. #413
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 06:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,951

    Re: Rams select Michael Sam, NFL's first openly gay player [W:282]

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    not to mention was tebo the only CHRISTIAN in the NFL? if not there goes the crap theory he was mocked for being a christian. lol
    Here's one quick example from the NY Times who even acknowledged it (the Times, not a right wing paper)

    While Tebow is not the first openly religious athlete, the circumstances surrounding his performance this season are so unusual, the N.F.L. is experiencing a rare, if not unprecedented, religious feud. The latest chapter in the Book of Tebow played out Sunday, when he threw two touchdown passes in the Broncos’ upset of the Oakland Raiders, perhaps saving his status as the starter, but not ending the larger debate.



    and from the same article:



    One columnist in Denver called Tebow the worst quarterback in football. Another columnist in Canada labeled Tebow the “Kim Kardashian of sports,” for the intense reaction he elicited. Online, the torrent of mockery and criticism has been fierce. Blog posts included “God explains why he let Tim Tebow fail” and Twitter exploded in hateful vitriol, to which the Sports Illustrated writer Joe Posnanski mused: “I believe Tim Tebow isn’t an N.F.L. starter and I want him to prove me wrong because I believe he’s a great guy. Is that allowed?”

    In sheer volume and intensity, the comments section on an ESPN article best captured the storm known as Tebow mania. They ranged from critical to crude under the theme “X is > Tebow,” with X being “eating your kids” among the options, as moderators struggled to delete the escalating venom.



    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/08/sp...ball.html?_r=0

  4. #414
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 06:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,951

    Re: Rams select Michael Sam, NFL's first openly gay player [W:282]


    ''Inside the NFL'' analyst and former Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver Cris Collinsworth concluded that much of the hatred against Tebow was based on his religious beliefs. Responding to a question from fellow host James 'JB' Brown, Collinsworth showed his disgust for Tebow's treatment: ''It's unbelievable, though, JB, that one of the best kids - just pure kids that's ever come into the NFL - is hated because of his faith, because of his mission work, because of the fact that he wears it on his sleeve, because of the fact that he lives his life that he talks about.''

    This isn't the first time the issue has come up. Many sportswriters and fans have mocked Tebow and hoped to see him fail - in large part, his defenders have argued, because of his strong Christian beliefs. Other football analysts are starting to agree with that assessment.

    NBCsports.com commentator Jelisa Castrodale argued: “The NFL's other backup-turned-starters don't generate this type of negativity.” And CBS analyst and former 49ers offensive lineman Randy Cross blamed the media for anti-Tebow coverage: ''People, especially the media, root against him because of what he stands for.''

    Showtime Sports' Oct. 12 edition of 'Inside the NFL' featured a nearly 5-minute segment on Tebow. Analysts Brown and Collinsworth were joined by former NFL stars Warren Sapp and Phil Simms discussing Tebow's faith - and the controversial reactions to it.

    Brown teased the segment: ''This is a guy that you either love to have him or you hate to love him. What is it about him that folks are so polarized?''

    Brown and Collinsworth concluded that much of the hatred against Tebow was based on faith. Brown pointed out: ''There's a number of guys who come into the league with a big marquee, fat paychecks, a lot of attention, and folks don't seem to hate them with the same intensity that they hate Tim Tebow.'' Collinsworth concurred with Brown: ''I couldn't agree with you more. And it's kind of a sad commentary, that, you know, if someone is out carousing every night, the Joe Namath thing, or whatever, they're American heroes, and Tim Tebow, who's working in missions in Asia somewhere, is a guy that we're going to vilify.''


    NFL Analysts: Tim Tebow Hated Because of His Faith | NewsBusters

  5. #415
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,761

    Re: Rams select Michael Sam, NFL's first openly gay player [W:282]

    Quote Originally Posted by johndylan1 View Post
    1.)I am saying it doesn't matter.
    2.)That's the only non bigoted answer.
    3.) Everything else is taking sides and dividing US into groups of interests.
    4.) This in my estimation is bad and bigoted in its own way.
    1.) but it does, reality does make it matter, it forces it to matter, bigotry, hate and rampant history of discrimaintion makes it matter
    2.) factually false considering #1. again reality makes it matter.
    3.) nope SOME of the people are supporting the advancement of equality and ability for it to start not to matter and some do not. Nothing bigoted about that per the definition of the word. Now if a person wanted him to get drafted ONLY because he was gay that would be bigoted but thats not the case with the news and majority of supporters.
    4.) again also false unless it fits the very small example above.

    It would only be bad and bigoted if it fir that example
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  6. #416
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    42,861

    Re: Rams select Michael Sam, NFL's first openly gay player [W:282]

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Here's one quick example from the NY Times who even acknowledged it (the Times, not a right wing paper)

    While Tebow is not the first openly religious athlete, the circumstances surrounding his performance this season are so unusual, the N.F.L. is experiencing a rare, if not unprecedented, religious feud. The latest chapter in the Book of Tebow played out Sunday, when he threw two touchdown passes in the Broncos’ upset of the Oakland Raiders, perhaps saving his status as the starter, but not ending the larger debate.



    and from the same article:



    One columnist in Denver called Tebow the worst quarterback in football. Another columnist in Canada labeled Tebow the “Kim Kardashian of sports,” for the intense reaction he elicited. Online, the torrent of mockery and criticism has been fierce. Blog posts included “God explains why he let Tim Tebow fail” and Twitter exploded in hateful vitriol, to which the Sports Illustrated writer Joe Posnanski mused: “I believe Tim Tebow isn’t an N.F.L. starter and I want him to prove me wrong because I believe he’s a great guy. Is that allowed?”

    In sheer volume and intensity, the comments section on an ESPN article best captured the storm known as Tebow mania. They ranged from critical to crude under the theme “X is > Tebow,” with X being “eating your kids” among the options, as moderators struggled to delete the escalating venom.



    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/08/sp...ball.html?_r=0
    I think the main reason Tebow was relentlessly mocked was because ESPN hitched its wagon to Tebow early and just promoted the hell out of him.

    How ESPN Ditched Journalism And Followed Skip Bayless To The Bottom: A Tim Tebow Story

    In October, Doug Gottlieb, a radio host and basketball analyst who'd decamped for CBS the previous month after nine years with ESPN, went on The Dan Patrick Show and dropped something of a truth bomb about his time in Bristol:

    I was told specifically, "You can't talk enough Tebow." I would jokingly throw it into a segment. "I gotta find 15 seconds here to talk about Tebow, all right let's move on and talk about Major League Baseball."
    This helps explain why, over the summer, ESPN dispatched veteran reporter Sal Paolantonio and a crew to cover Jets camp as if it were the run-up to the Super Bowl. ("ESPN embarrassed themselves," Dan Patrick, who spent 18 years in Bristol, said of ESPN's flood-the-zone coverage in Florham Park.) This helps explain why ESPN2's First Take referred to Tim Tebow more than seven dozen times in late May even though there was absolutely no Tebow news to report on. This helps explain why SportsCenter covered Tim Tebow's 25th birthday like a moon landing. This helps explain why it seemed perfectly reasonable to a SportsCenter anchor to ask in-studio guest Liam Neeson whether Tim Tebow should be the Jets' starting quarterback even though Liam Neeson had no clue what he was talking about. This helps explain how ESPN wound up breaking Tim Tebow news to, yes, Tim Tebow.
    There's a lot more. I think the mockery of Tebow was less about Tebow and more about the overly saturated media hype surrounding him.
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  7. #417
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,761

    Re: Rams select Michael Sam, NFL's first openly gay player [W:282]

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Here's one quick example from the NY Times who even acknowledged it (the Times, not a right wing paper)

    While Tebow is not the first openly religious athlete, the circumstances surrounding his performance this season are so unusual, the N.F.L. is experiencing a rare, if not unprecedented, religious feud. The latest chapter in the Book of Tebow played out Sunday, when he threw two touchdown passes in the Broncos’ upset of the Oakland Raiders, perhaps saving his status as the starter, but not ending the larger debate.



    and from the same article:



    One columnist in Denver called Tebow the worst quarterback in football. Another columnist in Canada labeled Tebow the “Kim Kardashian of sports,” for the intense reaction he elicited. Online, the torrent of mockery and criticism has been fierce. Blog posts included “God explains why he let Tim Tebow fail” and Twitter exploded in hateful vitriol, to which the Sports Illustrated writer Joe Posnanski mused: “I believe Tim Tebow isn’t an N.F.L. starter and I want him to prove me wrong because I believe he’s a great guy. Is that allowed?”

    In sheer volume and intensity, the comments section on an ESPN article best captured the storm known as Tebow mania. They ranged from critical to crude under the theme “X is > Tebow,” with X being “eating your kids” among the options, as moderators struggled to delete the escalating venom.



    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/08/sp...ball.html?_r=0
    this changes nothing LMAO
    the idea he was mocked only because he is a Christian is idiotic unsupportable and retarded

    answer the question was Tebo the only christian in the NFL?
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  8. #418
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 06:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,951

    Re: Rams select Michael Sam, NFL's first openly gay player [W:282]

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    this changes nothing LMAO
    the idea he was mocked only because he is a Christian is idiotic unsupportable and retarded

    answer the question was Tebo the only christian in the NFL?
    Ah, so you're smarter then the NY Times. Okay.

    How many people pay to read you?

    "retarded"? Why do you hate special needs people?

  9. #419
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,761

    Re: Rams select Michael Sam, NFL's first openly gay player [W:282]

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    1.)Ah, so you're smarter then the NY Times. Okay.

    How many people pay to read you?
    1.) because if its in the paper its a fact LMAO
    2.) nobody how many people pay for the Koran, must make it true and factual and all other religions are fake your logic complete fails and gets destroyed again

    maybe this time you wont dodge the question (which is VERY telling)

    was Tebo the only christian in the NFL? are thier Christians in the NFL now?
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  10. #420
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    42,861

    Re: Rams select Michael Sam, NFL's first openly gay player [W:282]

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post

    ''Inside the NFL'' analyst and former Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver Cris Collinsworth concluded that much of the hatred against Tebow was based on his religious beliefs. Responding to a question from fellow host James 'JB' Brown, Collinsworth showed his disgust for Tebow's treatment: ''It's unbelievable, though, JB, that one of the best kids - just pure kids that's ever come into the NFL - is hated because of his faith, because of his mission work, because of the fact that he wears it on his sleeve, because of the fact that he lives his life that he talks about.''

    This isn't the first time the issue has come up. Many sportswriters and fans have mocked Tebow and hoped to see him fail - in large part, his defenders have argued, because of his strong Christian beliefs. Other football analysts are starting to agree with that assessment.

    NBCsports.com commentator Jelisa Castrodale argued: “The NFL's other backup-turned-starters don't generate this type of negativity.” And CBS analyst and former 49ers offensive lineman Randy Cross blamed the media for anti-Tebow coverage: ''People, especially the media, root against him because of what he stands for.''

    Showtime Sports' Oct. 12 edition of 'Inside the NFL' featured a nearly 5-minute segment on Tebow. Analysts Brown and Collinsworth were joined by former NFL stars Warren Sapp and Phil Simms discussing Tebow's faith - and the controversial reactions to it.

    Brown teased the segment: ''This is a guy that you either love to have him or you hate to love him. What is it about him that folks are so polarized?''

    Brown and Collinsworth concluded that much of the hatred against Tebow was based on faith. Brown pointed out: ''There's a number of guys who come into the league with a big marquee, fat paychecks, a lot of attention, and folks don't seem to hate them with the same intensity that they hate Tim Tebow.'' Collinsworth concurred with Brown: ''I couldn't agree with you more. And it's kind of a sad commentary, that, you know, if someone is out carousing every night, the Joe Namath thing, or whatever, they're American heroes, and Tim Tebow, who's working in missions in Asia somewhere, is a guy that we're going to vilify.''


    NFL Analysts: Tim Tebow Hated Because of His Faith | NewsBusters
    Cris Collinsworth is wrong. There.

    Newsbusters? C'mon, TB, you're way better than that.
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

Page 42 of 68 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •