Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 183

Thread: Arkansas judge strikes down gay marriage ban

  1. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Arkansas judge strikes down gay marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    The "people" are so wise that sometimes they think it's okay to curtail the rights of others because it's a majority vote.
    ...and if I thought marriage was a right, I'd agree with you.

    If they try to prevent gays from voting, I'll hold the signs up.

  2. #12
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,831

    Re: Arkansas judge strikes down gay marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    When antifeds talk about the "state", they mean "the people", not overzealous judges. If the state votes to ban and the court overturns, that's not even close to letting the "people" decide.
    individual rights > peoples votes

    the state made the mistake thinking this was an issue to vote on and its being fixed
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  3. #13
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,056

    Re: Arkansas judge strikes down gay marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    ...and if I thought marriage was a right, I'd agree with you.

    If they try to prevent gays from voting, I'll hold the signs up.
    You're certainly free to think that. However, the USSC has already ruled multiple times now that it's a right. In any case, it's a red herring because of equal treatment under the law.

  4. #14
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,831

    Re: Arkansas judge strikes down gay marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    ...and if I thought marriage was a right, I'd agree with you.

    If they try to prevent gays from voting, I'll hold the signs up.
    marriage is a right, with or without your thoughts :shrugs:
    its doesn't need your approval to be one
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  5. #15
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,831

    Re: Arkansas judge strikes down gay marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    You're certainly free to think that. However, the USSC has already ruled multiple times now that it's a right.
    100% correct
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  6. #16
    Bohemian Revolutionary
    Demon of Light's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    03-07-17 @ 12:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,095

    Re: Arkansas judge strikes down gay marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    I suggest you go to wikipedia on "same sex marriage in the united states", and scroll down to "States that license same-sex marriage" in order to get your facts straight.
    What exactly am I supposed to be seeing there?
    "For what is Evil but Good-tortured by its own hunger and thirst?"
    - Khalil Gibran

  7. #17
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: Arkansas judge strikes down gay marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    When antifeds talk about the "state", they mean "the people", not overzealous judges. If the state votes to ban and the court overturns, that's not even close to letting the "people" decide.
    Aren't you rather contemptuous of the "common mind" in general, yet the "people" should determine the rights of a minority here? That interview with the arkansas senator in Religulous shows all we need to know about voters there.

  8. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Arkansas judge strikes down gay marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by chromium View Post
    Aren't you rather contemptuous of the "common mind" in general, yet the "people" should determine the rights of a minority here? That interview with the arkansas senator in Religulous shows all we need to know about voters there.
    Actually yeah. Democracy is a joke of a system, but it's (kinda) what we have now. When in Rome...

  9. #19
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: Arkansas judge strikes down gay marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    Actually yeah. Democracy is a joke of a system, but it's (kinda) what we have now. When in Rome...
    Well you're also basically saying the constitution (equal protection) is to be ignored whenever the "people" feel like it. What if the majority in arkansas voted to ban gun ownership or free speech?

  10. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Arkansas judge strikes down gay marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by chromium View Post
    Well you're also basically saying the constitution (equal protection) is to be ignored whenever the "people" feel like it. What if the majority in arkansas voted to ban gun ownership or free speech?
    If you can show me the word "marriage" anywhere at all in the Constitution, I'll concede every last point you just made.

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •