Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 183

Thread: Arkansas judge strikes down gay marriage ban

  1. #171
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: Arkansas judge strikes down gay marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by WorldWatcher View Post
    So you don't really support "religious freedom", it's more like "I support freedom for the religion I agree with".


    Maybe it's not such a good thing to try to hide behind "religious freedom" when you don't really support it.



    >>>>
    In correct. I don't give a **** about homosexual "rights" when they conflict with other's rights.
    Only a fool measures equality by results and not opportunities.

  2. #172
    Guru
    WorldWatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,041

    Re: Arkansas judge strikes down gay marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    Also, reread the arguments. That was a post to the challenge from rogue nuke to "Prove that any same sex couple has ever tried to force a church or clergy member to perform a wedding/marriage ceremony for them against church doctrine in the US. I dare you." It was not presented as a argument but a response.

    And by posting about a challenge in England where the Church of England was sponsored and established by the government was a classic fail. The request, as you quote above was for US Churches being forced to perform a religious ceremony.



    >>>>

  3. #173
    Guru
    WorldWatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,041

    Re: Arkansas judge strikes down gay marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    In correct. I don't give a **** about homosexual "rights" when they conflict with other's rights.

    Which is what I said, you try to hide behind "freedom" but you don't really support "freedom". You support only those things you agree with.


    >>>>

  4. #174
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: Arkansas judge strikes down gay marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Er, did you read what you wrote?
    Sorry, copied from wrong tab.

    Washington Same-Sex “Marriage” Bill Is A Threat To Churches |
    Only a fool measures equality by results and not opportunities.

  5. #175
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Arkansas judge strikes down gay marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    That is first of all nothing but fearmongering speculation, not an actual challenge to any law. Second, that blogger apparently has no clue about the laws. If a church is opening up their spaces/properties to the public for lease/rental, then that means they must abide by anti-discrimination/public accommodation laws, even if that violates the beliefs espoused by the church because they are choosing to open up their spaces/property as a business, to make money for the church. This applies to more than just same sex couples, and exists without same sex marriage being legal.

    This is absolutely not a clergyman/minister being forced to perform a wedding ceremony against their beliefs. That is the contention being made, question being asked. And you still have not shown any proof/evidence that any minister/religious leader will be forced to perform a wedding or be sued/lose a lawsuit for refusing to perform a same sex wedding.

    In fact, the Washington law that legalized same sex marriage included a specific protection for religious organizations and clergy to refuse to perform, recognize, or accommodate same sex weddings.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  6. #176
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,771

    Re: Arkansas judge strikes down gay marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    if you want anybody to take this failed argument seriously all you have to do is factually prove its a real concern and then also explain why straight marriage doesn't do that same thing. Until then everybody honest and educated will laugh at the joke strawman and fear tactic it is.
    Thank you in advance but my guess is you will dodge this request because theres no support out there.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  7. #177
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: Arkansas judge strikes down gay marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    That is first of all nothing but fearmongering speculation, not an actual challenge to any law. Second, that blogger apparently has no clue about the laws. If a church is opening up their spaces/properties to the public for lease/rental, then that means they must abide by anti-discrimination/public accommodation laws, even if that violates the beliefs espoused by the church because they are choosing to open up their spaces/property as a business, to make money for the church. This applies to more than just same sex couples, and exists without same sex marriage being legal.

    This is absolutely not a clergyman/minister being forced to perform a wedding ceremony against their beliefs. That is the contention being made, question being asked. And you still have not shown any proof/evidence that any minister/religious leader will be forced to perform a wedding or be sued/lose a lawsuit for refusing to perform a same sex wedding.

    In fact, the Washington law that legalized same sex marriage included a specific protection for religious organizations and clergy to refuse to perform, recognize, or accommodate same sex weddings.
    I disagree. A business owner should be free to "discriminate" on any basis the like. They are the owner after all and nobody has a right to use, buy, etc to what a person owns.

    And I disagree with Washington law about forcing churches to allow it on their property.
    Only a fool measures equality by results and not opportunities.

  8. #178
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: Arkansas judge strikes down gay marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by WorldWatcher View Post
    Which is what I said, you try to hide behind "freedom" but you don't really support "freedom". You support only those things you agree with.


    >>>>
    No, you specifically said I didn't care about "freedom of religion", which I do care about. And yes, I care about Freedom also. Including the Freedom to tell people to "**** off" if they want to. There is no "right" to products, services, or anything that belongs to another person. If the owner wants to "discriminate" for whatever reason, he/she has the freedom to do so.
    Only a fool measures equality by results and not opportunities.

  9. #179
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Arkansas judge strikes down gay marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    I disagree. A business owner should be free to "discriminate" on any basis the like. They are the owner after all and nobody has a right to use, buy, etc to what a person owns.

    And I disagree with Washington law about forcing churches to allow it on their property.
    There are plenty of people who do disagree with anti-discrimination laws. However, they are still in place and not likely to completely go away any time in the near future. They may change or be limited more (which I personally think some of them should be, just not all), but the need is there and recognized by a majority of people, outside the government and in.

    The Washington law does not force churches to do that.

    Washington Same-Sex Marriage Veto Referendum, Referendum 74 (2012) - Ballotpedia

    Does Same-Sex Marriage Threaten Religious Freedom? | Political Eye Candy

    " Many, such as Washington’s, not only exempt clergy from performing ceremonies, but also allow religious organizations to refuse any sort of accommodations, facilities, privileges, or goods relating to a same-sex marriage, and provide immunity from any civil action relating to such a refusal."
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  10. #180
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,741

    Re: Arkansas judge strikes down gay marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    To you lefties the vote that the people of the state means nothing and that is the scary part
    A few posts up you said this was being appealed. Apparently you only care about judicial decisions if they work in your favor.

    No, Navy Pride, the scary person is that a person who joined our military to defend our freedom and our constitution believes that it's acceptable for a vote of the people to violate the constitution.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •