Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 183

Thread: Arkansas judge strikes down gay marriage ban

  1. #131
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,030

    Re: Arkansas judge strikes down gay marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    The people of Indiana voted overwhelmingly to not change the definition of marriage.
    Too bad. The people of Alabama, South Carolina, and Virginia wanted ("overwhelming") in the 1960s to not allow interracial couples to marry. The people in some states like Mississippi wanted overwhelming to maintain racial segregation laws.

    We do not live in a direct democracy, even when it comes to individual states. We live in a constitutional republic, where the main governing document is the US Constitution.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  2. #132
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,030

    Re: Arkansas judge strikes down gay marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Demon of Light View Post
    "Equally-situated couples" would be other unmarried couples who would also lack the benefits of married couples. They are not penalized for being gay. No penalty is imposed on them by government.
    No. That is not how this works legally. They are unmarried because they are legally unable to marry, not because they are choosing not to get married.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  3. #133
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,030

    Re: Arkansas judge strikes down gay marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    To you lefties the vote that the people of the state means nothing and that is the scary part
    Not when it is a vote on a law that violates someone else's rights.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  4. #134
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,984

    Re: Arkansas judge strikes down gay marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    If they vote Dem, then they are in fact supporting the denial of some "rights" to others.
    You mean like Republicans denying equal pay to women? Republicans trying to deny women's rights further by continually trying to restrict abortion? You mean like Republicans trying to deny gays the same privileges and legal protections as straight couples in marriage?

    Yeah, that street runs both ways.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  5. #135
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,984

    Re: Arkansas judge strikes down gay marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    The people of Indiana voted overwhelmingly to not change the definition of marriage.
    How about if a state votes overwhelmingly to ban and confiscate all guns? That ok then?

    And 'equal protection' is just as much a part of the Const. as the 2A.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  6. #136
    Bohemian Revolutionary
    Demon of Light's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    03-07-17 @ 12:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,095

    Re: Arkansas judge strikes down gay marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by WorldWatcher View Post
    They are denied equal access to protections under the law, that is being penalized. Other unmarried different sex couples can choose to get married, in many states same-sex couples cannot - they are barred by law.

    They are penalized by not having access to Civil Marriage when compared to "Equally-situated couples". In this case that would be law abiding, tax paying, US Citizen, infertile, consenting, non-related, adults in different-sex couples as compared to law abiding, tax paying, US Citizen, infertile, consenting, non-related, adults in same-sex couples.

    One set of the above is permitted to Civilly Marry in every State in the Union, the other denied this in most states. They are penalized by not having equal treatment under the law to access the same legal status - which then impact life, liberty and property.



    >>>>
    No. There is no penalty involved. Only a lack of recognition. No one is being punished by not having a relationship recognized by the government. Many relationships of a romantic or co-dependent nature get no recognition or beneficial status from the government. Government does not confer any special status or recognition on a married man's relationship with his mistress either even if they live together and do all the things a married couple would do normally. They are not being penalized by that lack of recognition.
    "For what is Evil but Good-tortured by its own hunger and thirst?"
    - Khalil Gibran

  7. #137
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: Arkansas judge strikes down gay marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    You mean like Republicans denying equal pay to women? Republicans trying to deny women's rights further by continually trying to restrict abortion? You mean like Republicans trying to deny gays the same privileges and legal protections as straight couples in marriage?

    Yeah, that street runs both ways.
    The right to kill children, abortion, is not really a right.

    For your other fantasies, I think you are grossly exaggerating what they are really trying to do. In some case, yes, they would appear to supporting taking away someones "rights", primarily because it involves infringing on other peoples rights. Also, they do not support, for the most part, using government to force or enforce social agendas upon people against their rights.

    I do not support government enforcement of homosexual marriage because 1) it infringes on others right to practice their religion 2) the government should not be mandating any benefits and tax breaks based upon marital status, whether normal or homosexual.
    Only a fool measures equality by results and not opportunities.

  8. #138
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: Arkansas judge strikes down gay marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    How about if a state votes overwhelmingly to ban and confiscate all guns? That ok then?

    And 'equal protection' is just as much a part of the Const. as the 2A.
    Fine with me, but try it my state, bring lots of body bags.
    Only a fool measures equality by results and not opportunities.

  9. #139
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,030

    Re: Arkansas judge strikes down gay marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Demon of Light View Post
    No. There is no penalty involved. Only a lack of recognition. No one is being punished by not having a relationship recognized by the government. Many relationships of a romantic or co-dependent nature get no recognition or beneficial status from the government. Government does not confer any special status or recognition on a married man's relationship with his mistress either even if they live together and do all the things a married couple would do normally. They are not being penalized by that lack of recognition.
    Most relationships can get that recognition though if they wish by simply applying to be married.

    Now, some can't due to other restrictions, restrictions based on age, close relation, or number of partners/contracts. The restriction we are discussing is the one based on sex/gender. That is the one being challenged currently. In order for this restriction to overcome this challenge, the state must show that the restriction furthers a legitimate state interest in some way. Those other characteristics used to restrict marriage can be challenged as well, and the same principle applies to them as well. In order for them to be maintained, the state must show that the challenged restriction furthers a legitimate state interest.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  10. #140
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,030

    Re: Arkansas judge strikes down gay marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    The right to kill children, abortion, is not really a right.

    For your other fantasies, I think you are grossly exaggerating what they are really trying to do. In some case, yes, they would appear to supporting taking away someones "rights", primarily because it involves infringing on other peoples rights. Also, they do not support, for the most part, using government to force or enforce social agendas upon people against their rights.

    I do not support government enforcement of homosexual marriage because 1) it infringes on others right to practice their religion 2) the government should not be mandating any benefits and tax breaks based upon marital status, whether normal or homosexual.
    Recognizing same sex marriages as legal in no way infringes upon anyone's rights to practice their religion. If it did, then recognition of any marriages could/would infringe upon someone's right to practice their religion in some way.

    And the government giving benefits or tax breaks for marriage is an entirely different argument and has no place here because whether or not same sex couples get married, opposite sex couples who get married would still have those things. Take that 2) argument to another thread if you wish, but it in no way furthers your argument against same sex marriage.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •