Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 182

Thread: Scientists Create First Living Organism With 'Artificial' DNA

  1. #71
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:19 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,060

    Re: Scientists Create First Living Organism With 'Artificial' DNA

    Quote Originally Posted by Luftwaffe View Post
    It's funny because for the scientific developments that will lead to "over-population" there will also be developments that lead to colonization of space which would address said "over-population."

    Brilliant.
    So I'll be 700 years old, look like Yoda, and live on a moon near Alpha Centauri for 200 years.

    Thanks, I'll pass.

  2. #72
    cynical class clown
    Luftwaffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    CONNECTICUT
    Last Seen
    11-18-17 @ 10:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    10,499

    Re: Scientists Create First Living Organism With 'Artificial' DNA

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    So I'll be 700 years old, look like Yoda, and live on a moon near Alpha Centauri for 200 years.

    Thanks, I'll pass.
    Sure, no one would be obliged to get the treatments and augmentations that allow for longer lives. I just know I'll accept them. Also, at around 300 years you would still probably look like 20-30 because what happens is the aging process gets slowed, so 100 would be like being a teenager today and so on and so forth. With absolute biological immortality because cells always constantly divide at a healthy pace theoretically I believe one should never look of old age.

    That being said is of course if one wishes for the augmentations. Go ahead and die in 80-90 years bud, not like I would give a **** when I'm 200
    -----MOS 19D = cavalry scout = best damn MOS there is

  3. #73
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:19 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,060

    Re: Scientists Create First Living Organism With 'Artificial' DNA

    Quote Originally Posted by Luftwaffe View Post
    Sure, no one would be obliged to get the treatments and augmentations that allow for longer lives. I just know I'll accept them. Also, at around 300 years you would still probably look like 20-30 because what happens is the aging process gets slowed, so 100 would be like being a teenager today and so on and so forth. With absolute biological immortality because cells always constantly divide at a healthy pace theoretically I believe one should never look of old age.

    That being said is of course if one wishes for the augmentations. Go ahead and die in 80-90 years bud, not like I would give a **** when I'm 200
    I guess when you don't believe in God or heaven, this is what you have to hope for.

  4. #74
    cynical class clown
    Luftwaffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    CONNECTICUT
    Last Seen
    11-18-17 @ 10:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    10,499

    Re: Scientists Create First Living Organism With 'Artificial' DNA

    Quote Originally Posted by erod View Post
    i guess when you don't believe in god or heaven, this is what you have to hope for.
    it's funny because i do believe in both of those things. Hahahaha
    -----MOS 19D = cavalry scout = best damn MOS there is

  5. #75
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Scientists Create First Living Organism With 'Artificial' DNA

    Dude! Living is awesome. Who wouldn't want more of it? If I had reason to believe I could live for a few hundred years or more, I would save every penny I could and live a few hundred years in luxury

  6. #76
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,787

    Re: Scientists Create First Living Organism With 'Artificial' DNA

    Quote Originally Posted by Luftwaffe View Post
    Close to immortality?

    **** that

    Let's strive for absolute biological immortality!!!! FOR HUMANITY! I don't care if there may be other life forms in this universe. All I care is that we show them our superiority, and that they bow to us, the strongest species of the universe.
    Is this a serious response?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  7. #77
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:47 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,632

    Re: Scientists Create First Living Organism With 'Artificial' DNA

    Quote Originally Posted by Removable Mind View Post
    isn't this how all zombie movies tend to happen? they create this wierd genetic dna that reproduces cells etc ...

  8. #78
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,787

    Re: Scientists Create First Living Organism With 'Artificial' DNA

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    It could come with disastrous side effects, used to create new diseases, bioweapons and all sorts of horrible ****.
    We can do all that stuff now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  9. #79
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:47 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,632

    Re: Scientists Create First Living Organism With 'Artificial' DNA

    Quote Originally Posted by tacomancer View Post
    Dude! Living is awesome. Who wouldn't want more of it? If I had reason to believe I could live for a few hundred years or more, I would save every penny I could and live a few hundred years in luxury
    ever see that movie time something. they did the same thing the problem is no one died so time became the currency of the day. on your 25th birthday your time started and you were given 2 years.

    everything was bought and sold in time. once you ran out of time you died.

  10. #80
    cynical class clown
    Luftwaffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    CONNECTICUT
    Last Seen
    11-18-17 @ 10:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    10,499

    Re: Scientists Create First Living Organism With 'Artificial' DNA

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Is this a serious response?
    Yep, a person prideful in humanity hoping that in case ET forms do exist we do not ever show inferiority. Plus progress and prosperity have only occured when we strive toward a common goal of bettering ourselves, so no matter how one wishes to think of what bettering ourselves is as long as they do it it is fine. For me bettering humanity would be through doing anything to advance it so as to make anything out in the universe inferior.

    Maybe for someone else bettering humanity would be through X instead of my Y. So long as humanity doesn't regress (technologically and ethically according to today's standards so far) whatever way they want to view it is fine by me.

    Plus, read my signature, you seriously think I would fake something like this?
    -----MOS 19D = cavalry scout = best damn MOS there is

Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •