Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 182

Thread: Scientists Create First Living Organism With 'Artificial' DNA

  1. #41
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,383

    Re: Scientists Create First Living Organism With 'Artificial' DNA

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Read a book back in the late 60s that explained why not. I believe it was by Desmond Morris but I could be remembering that wrong. What really stuck with me over the years is the truth of it. The author's premise was that we had reached a point where technological change had outpaced our society's ability to cope with (live with). And that this gulf between tech and understanding of that tech would greatly widen in upcoming decades until a fracture point was reached or an extinction level disaster was created by the gulf.
    That was said about the atomic bomb too and numerous other discoveries all through history. It matters not, as our minds are unstoppable. Progress will always continue.

  2. #42
    Bohemian Revolutionary
    Demon of Light's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    03-07-17 @ 12:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,095

    Re: Scientists Create First Living Organism With 'Artificial' DNA

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    I would seriously do a little tap dance if they'd figure out in the next 25 to 50 years how to at least better combat cancer and how to get cells to not go into the stage of the aging process where I believe they start to break down.
    I get why you feel that way, obviously, but I think people who are so enthusiastic about this sort of thing are thinking too much about themselves and not about the general impact on society. What do you think would happen if people could suddenly live forever? You can't very well have people making babies at their current pace, not unless only certain people would be allowed this privilege of radically extended lifespans.
    "For what is Evil but Good-tortured by its own hunger and thirst?"
    - Khalil Gibran

  3. #43
    Relentless Thinking Fury
    ChezC3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,144

    Re: Scientists Create First Living Organism With 'Artificial' DNA

    Quote Originally Posted by beefheart View Post
    Yeah, how dare they try to cure diseases and improve the quality of life of humans.

    Beats mumbling prayers that do nothing.

    Ever see a faith healer grow back an amputated limb?
    No, but I've seen a poster present a false dichotomy...

  4. #44
    Sage
    Oftencold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    A small village in Alaska
    Last Seen
    05-09-14 @ 12:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    5,044

    Re: Scientists Create First Living Organism With 'Artificial' DNA

    Quote Originally Posted by Removable Mind View Post
    Well, I think if we don't wipe ourselves out that via technology, humans will be as close to immortality as possible. And think of it. It was done by humans...just humans. I love it!


    And the LORD said, Behold, the people is one, and they have all one language; and this they begin to do: and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do.

    Genesis 11:6
    Quod scripsi, scripsi

  5. #45
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,587

    Re: Scientists Create First Living Organism With 'Artificial' DNA

    Quote Originally Posted by Oftencold View Post

    And the LORD said, Behold, the people is one, and they have all one language; and this they begin to do: and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do.

    Genesis 11:6
    Yes, because science gives a **** that your 2,000 year old book has some misgivings about science. We're not going to halt scientific progress and replace it with ignorance.

    You keep reading your bible and we'll keep improving the world. When you get cancer don't come crying to science claiming now you want the benefits of this research.
    Last edited by RabidAlpaca; 05-08-14 at 03:47 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  6. #46
    Educator
    Slyhunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    06-22-15 @ 03:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: Scientists Create First Living Organism With 'Artificial' DNA

    cloned meet for dinner.
    Islam is an antiquated religion and needs to either modernize with the times or be completely eradicated.
    There are two types of Muslims, terrorists, and their enablers. They need to fix that if they want to be part of civilized society.

  7. #47
    Relentless Thinking Fury
    ChezC3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,144

    Re: Scientists Create First Living Organism With 'Artificial' DNA

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    What other way is there to approach and possibly grasp more complete understanding?
    Currently scientists can't make sense of all the data coming in from genomes sequenced in our own DNA and we still have some 10% left to go. Because 85-95% of our DNA appears to be useless(much like our appendix was thought to be until recently, a study has been put up for review showing that it is a storage container of sorts for bacteria for our stomachs to draw from kind of like a reset when it has been attacked by food borne illnesses or other viruses.) that doesn't mean it is and it would be a prudent and wise course of action to thoroughly get a grasp on that before you go playing connect the chromosomes that you synthetically developed.

  8. #48
    Sage
    Hicup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 03:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    7,846

    Re: Scientists Create First Living Organism With 'Artificial' DNA

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    Why? It's fascinating and could have potential benefits when it comes to creating biologics and research.
    Yeah there is no reason to discourage innovation.... like ever...



    Tim-
    “When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.” - P. J. O’Rourke
    “Socialism is great until you run out of someone elses money” Margaret Thatcher

  9. #49
    Sage
    Oftencold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    A small village in Alaska
    Last Seen
    05-09-14 @ 12:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    5,044

    Re: Scientists Create First Living Organism With 'Artificial' DNA

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    Yes, because science gives a **** that your 2,000 year old book has some misgivings about science. We're not going to halt scientific progress and replace it with ignorance.

    You keep reading your bible and we'll keep improving the world. When you get cancer don't come crying to science claiming now you want the benefits of this research.
    Hysterics much?

    If you'll read with a little more attention, and a little less spleen, you'll see that the passage states that Man can do just about anything he imagines.

    You see how different the world looks when we're calm, and respectful of others?

    And that section of the Book is closer to 3000 years old.

    You might be interested to know, also that a fully integrated personality is quite capable of reading both the Bible, and a tome on recent theories in physics.

    Further, Science is a tool for the pursuit of knowledge. It has not the slightest interest in "improving the world" and will object not at all, any more than would Algebra if it is employed to sterilize the world. Also, yet again, you confuse Technology and Science, which are two different things. To aid you in achieving clarity, you should be wary of any article which says that Science accomplished something rather that Science or people employing Science discovered something. You see?

    Science never built a machine, improved a crop or developed a cure. Certainly, knowledge gained through the use of Science aided the inverters, investors, technologists, industrialists and so forth who created such things through the employment of such things as Technologically based projects, industrialization, and commerce. Even kooks like Tesla and had their place.

    Carry on.
    Quod scripsi, scripsi

  10. #50
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,587

    Re: Scientists Create First Living Organism With 'Artificial' DNA

    Quote Originally Posted by Oftencold View Post
    Hysterics much?

    If you'll read with a little more attention, and a little less spleen, you'll see that the passage states that Man can do just about anything he imagines.

    You see how different the world looks when we're calm, and respectful of others?

    And that section of the Book is closer to 3000 years old.

    You might be interested to know, also that a fully integrated personality is quite capable of reading both the Bible, and a tome on recent theories in physics.

    Further, Science is a tool for the pursuit of knowledge. It has not the slightest interest in "improving the world" and will object not at all, any more than would Algebra if it is employed to sterilize the world. Also, yet again, you confuse Technology and Science, which are two different things. To aid you in achieving clarity, you should be wary of any article which says that Science accomplished something rather that Science or people employing Science discovered something. You see?

    Science never built a machine, improved a crop or developed a cure. Certainly, knowledge gained through the use of Science aided the inverters, investors, technologists, industrialists and so forth who created such things through the employment of such things as Technologically based projects, industrialization, and commerce. Even kooks like Tesla and had their place.

    Carry on.
    You posted that idiotic verse because you wanted to imply that this would anger God and he'd bring his wrath down on us like he supposedly did with the tower of babel. It's pure anti-science bull****.

    Keep living in ignorance. Carry on.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •