Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 182

Thread: Scientists Create First Living Organism With 'Artificial' DNA

  1. #91
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Scientists Create First Living Organism With 'Artificial' DNA

    Quote Originally Posted by Removable Mind View Post
    Well, I think if we don't wipe ourselves out that via technology, humans will be as close to immortality as possible. And think of it. It was done by humans...just humans. I love it!
    I think you're putting the cart before the horse a bit. This is an interesting study, but the scope of practical application is still not fully understood.

  2. #92
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,496

    Re: Scientists Create First Living Organism With 'Artificial' DNA

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    I think you're putting the cart before the horse a bit. This is an interesting study, but the scope of practical application is still not fully understood.
    Thanks for your opinion. Progress isn't harnessed in fear of what isn't fully understood.

  3. #93
    Bohemian Revolutionary
    Demon of Light's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    03-07-17 @ 12:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,095

    Re: Scientists Create First Living Organism With 'Artificial' DNA

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    I guess when you don't believe in God or heaven, this is what you have to hope for.
    This is a scary thought too as we get into that most terrifying scenario constantly warned about in popular media. At a certain point, humanity's desire to attain status akin to godhood leads to an inexorable decline towards barbarity and fascism as moral values rapidly decline since science and rational empiricism provide no solid moral foundation.
    "For what is Evil but Good-tortured by its own hunger and thirst?"
    - Khalil Gibran

  4. #94
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Scientists Create First Living Organism With 'Artificial' DNA

    Quote Originally Posted by Removable Mind View Post
    Thanks for your opinion. Progress isn't harnessed in fear of what isn't fully understood.
    What progress have we seen from this?

  5. #95
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:56 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,603

    Re: Scientists Create First Living Organism With 'Artificial' DNA

    Quote Originally Posted by Removable Mind View Post
    What makes you think this is unsafe or dangerous at this point? Do you believe that such a technology will expand unfettered without the creations lawful boundaries of dos and don'ts?

    Will there be scientific rogues? Sure. The world will just have to deal with that when they act in ways that are "unhealthy" to humanity. Or other species as far as that's concerned.

    Scientific messing has brought this world to where it is today. All's not perfect, but I'd dare say we live a hell of lot better than folks did a mere 100 years ago, which is nothing in the spectrum of time. A 100 years isn't even a spec of time in the big picture.
    all it takes is one rogue scientist or an organization that could make a gene that destroys half of mankind.

  6. #96
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,496

    Re: Scientists Create First Living Organism With 'Artificial' DNA

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    What progress have we seen from this?
    Well, I'd say that creating life from artificial DNA is a huge leap in scientific progress.

  7. #97
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:33 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,051

    Re: Scientists Create First Living Organism With 'Artificial' DNA

    Quote Originally Posted by Demon of Light View Post
    This is a scary thought too as we get into that most terrifying scenario constantly warned about in popular media. At a certain point, humanity's desire to attain status akin to godhood leads to an inexorable decline towards barbarity and fascism as moral values rapidly decline since science and rational empiricism provide no solid moral foundation.
    Popular media feed and nurture barbarism and fascism at every turn. It warps morality and stilts humanity to fit an agenda and create power.

  8. #98
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,496

    Re: Scientists Create First Living Organism With 'Artificial' DNA

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    all it takes is one rogue scientist or an organization that could make a gene that destroys half of mankind.
    People probably said the same thing when a scientist discover using a live disease that killed people to create a live vaccine, which was thought to be outrageous for the time. Yet look at all the lives saved.

  9. #99
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Scientists Create First Living Organism With 'Artificial' DNA

    Quote Originally Posted by Removable Mind View Post
    Well, I'd say that creating life from artificial DNA is a huge leap in scientific progress.
    I don't think you understood the article you linked. They didn't "create life."

  10. #100
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:56 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,603

    Re: Scientists Create First Living Organism With 'Artificial' DNA

    Quote Originally Posted by Removable Mind View Post
    People probably said the same thing when a scientist discover using a live disease that killed people to create a live vaccine, which was thought to be outrageous for the time. Yet look at all the lives saved.
    yeah you can build immunity to that and not all of those worked out well. we are talking about DNA manipulation there is no immune system for that.

Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •