Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 195

Thread: U.S. Supreme Court declines new gun regulations challenge

  1. #81
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,626

    Re: U.S. Supreme Court declines new gun regulations challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    With 50 to 50K different laws concerning carrying a handgun, interstate travel would be a hit and miss affair. Unlike committing a traffic violation, like not turning on your headlights when operating your wipers (MD law), one may easily face felony charges for simply not knowing how moronic NJ laws are while traveling down I-95. I have encountered much confusion as to how to legally ride a motorcycle while carrying a handgun - it has no locked compartment not accessible to the operator.
    Actually the law says if the vehicle doesn't have a trunk the weapon maybe secured anyplace but the glove box or console. (line G of the same section)

    A very easy to do interwebz search has NJ bikers taking pistols to and from the range in lockable saddle bags- empty pistol in one, ammo in the other. but the law says secured not locked.

    Now just where did you have to go that you had to go through Jersey???

  2. #82
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,669

    Re: U.S. Supreme Court declines new gun regulations challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by notquiteright View Post
    Actually the law says if the vehicle doesn't have a trunk the weapon maybe secured anyplace but the glove box or console. (line G of the same section)

    A very easy to do interwebz search has NJ bikers taking pistols to and from the range in lockable saddle bags- empty pistol in one, ammo in the other. but the law says secured not locked.

    Now just where did you have to go that you had to go through Jersey???
    Gun and drug running to NY, of course.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  3. #83
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,966

    Re: U.S. Supreme Court declines new gun regulations challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Here is the rub on that plan; in order to have "standing" for appeal then you have to break a law, get convicted and sentenced. That is no small matter when a felony charge is involved and our court appeals process can take years only to wind up, like this case, with the SCOTUS simply bowing out. The NRA is an odd bunch, when it comes to 2A rights, since they seem to like having CCW permit/CHL laws that mandate passing their training programs as a prerequisite.

    NRA Basic Pistol Course - Texas Concealed Handgun Classes Temple, Troy, *Belton, Salado, Killeen Harker Heights areas
    That's what they did here in Seattle when they tried to make it illegal to carry in community centers and playgrounds. A lawyer notified the media and the community center. Then he entered the community center. When he was asked to leave (if he did not he would have been charged with trespassing)....he complied but was then able to take it to court. Seattle lost.

    But trespassing is not a felony and he wasnt risking his gun rights.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  4. #84
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,626

    Re: U.S. Supreme Court declines new gun regulations challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Here is the rub on that plan; in order to have "standing" for appeal then you have to break a law, get convicted and sentenced. That is no small matter when a felony charge is involved and our court appeals process can take years only to wind up, like this case, with the SCOTUS simply bowing out. The NRA is an odd bunch, when it comes to 2A rights, since they seem to like having CCW permit/CHL laws that mandate passing their training programs as a prerequisite.
    Ahhh the faint hearted 'patriot'. I guess there are Hellers and McDonalds out there- just very few and far between... (damn glad the original Patriots were willing to risk more than jail time back in the day.... ain't you????)

    But in the case of Drake vs Jerejian no one was arrested, no one is facing a felony conviction. Four Citizens of NJ were denied permits to carry and they are suing for the right to carry. So none of these people are now convicted felons because the Supreme Court left then 'high and dry'....

    Dunno what state you are referring to about the NRA and CCW. Oklahoma certainly doesn't require you passing an NRA class for concealed carry.

  5. #85
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,669

    Re: U.S. Supreme Court declines new gun regulations challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by notquiteright View Post
    Ahhh the faint hearted 'patriot'. I guess there are Hellers and McDonalds out there- just very few and far between... (damn glad the original Patriots were willing to risk more than jail time back in the day.... ain't you????)

    But in the case of Drake vs Jerejian no one was arrested, no one is facing a felony conviction. Four Citizens of NJ were denied permits to carry and they are suing for the right to carry. So none of these people are now convicted felons because the Supreme Court left then 'high and dry'....

    Dunno what state you are referring to about the NRA and CCW. Oklahoma certainly doesn't require you passing an NRA class for concealed carry.
    Texas. The link was a clue, but maybe you replied before I added it.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  6. #86
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,626

    Re: U.S. Supreme Court declines new gun regulations challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Gun and drug running to NY, of course.
    Ya need to breakdown and buy a map.... MUCH better ways in NY than NJ. Sort of like climbing up the colon to get to the stomach...

  7. #87
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,626

    Re: U.S. Supreme Court declines new gun regulations challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Texas. The link was a clue, but maybe you replied before I added it.
    Yeah I saw that but you are incorrect... the NRA has not 'mandated' anything. They are one of hundreds of places a citizen of the Grand and Glorious state many call Texas and a few call home can take the CCW course. I know several LE types in Wichita Falls Tx who teach and certify folks for CCW without so much a a nod to the NRA.

    you try and make it out as the NRA has a lock on ccw classes when the fact is the NRA is a small part of a large group of certified instructors.

  8. #88
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,669

    Re: U.S. Supreme Court declines new gun regulations challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by notquiteright View Post
    Yeah I saw that but you are incorrect... the NRA has not 'mandated' anything. They are one of hundreds of places a citizen of the Grand and Glorious state many call Texas and a few call home can take the CCW course. I know several LE types in Wichita Falls Tx who teach and certify folks for CCW without so much a a nod to the NRA.

    you try and make it out as the NRA has a lock on ccw classes when the fact is the NRA is a small part of a large group of certified instructors.
    Not that large - they are listed first out of four.

    To qualify for the DPS class you must document firearm instructor certification through the National Rifle Association, TCLEOSE, Security Officer training, or the military.
    TCHA: Becoming an Instructor
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  9. #89
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    NE WI.
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 03:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,029

    Re: U.S. Supreme Court declines new gun regulations challenge

    `
    Well, they lost their appeal by virtue of the fact that SCOTUS would not hear the case, which throws the onus back to the states to construct better laws.

  10. #90
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    US, California - federalist
    Last Seen
    11-12-16 @ 10:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,485

    Re: U.S. Supreme Court declines new gun regulations challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    'Ya know, I am kind of in the middle regarding this issue. I do feel that background checks should be necessary so that criminals and crazy people cannot legally purchase a gun. However, once passing a background check, I very strongly feel that carrying a gun is a constitutional right, per the second amendment. I believe the members of the Supreme Court are being cowards in avoiding this issue. And since this is the Roberts court, I am somewhat surprised, not to mention deeply disappointed.

    Discussion?

    Article is here.
    Only, well regulated Militias of the People enjoy literal recourse to not be Infringed, when keeping and bear Arms for their State or the Union.

Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •