Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 195

Thread: U.S. Supreme Court declines new gun regulations challenge

  1. #71
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,601

    Re: U.S. Supreme Court declines new gun regulations challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by Mithros View Post
    Totally agree. So now we have to make a distinction between laws we don't like, and laws that are unconstitutional. All reasonable people accept the need for some regulations. And once you're there, you need a test to determine when a particular law is no longer a reasonable restriction.
    It seems obvious that "may issue" permits cross that line, and very likely that "shall issue" permits do as well. By making any right default to the no right (criminal act?) mode and then requiring taking a class, passing a test and paying a fee to restore it simply converts that right into a state issued privilege.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  2. #72
    Guru

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:58 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,671

    Re: U.S. Supreme Court declines new gun regulations challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    It seems obvious that "may issue" permits cross that line, and very likely that "shall issue" permits do as well. By making any right default to the no right (criminal act?) mode and then requiring taking a class, passing a test and paying a fee to restore it simply converts that right into a state issued privilege.
    I'd say that the state has a constitutional right to decide how to regulate arms in that state. There are certainly limitations, but deciding what constitutes and undue restriction and what's not an undue restriction should be done very carefully.

  3. #73
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,601

    Re: U.S. Supreme Court declines new gun regulations challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by Mithros View Post
    I'd say that the state has a constitutional right to decide how to regulate arms in that state. There are certainly limitations, but deciding what constitutes and undue restriction and what's not an undue restriction should be done very carefully.
    With 50 to 50K different laws concerning carrying a handgun, interstate travel would be a hit and miss affair. Unlike committing a traffic violation, like not turning on your headlights when operating your wipers (MD law), one may easily face felony charges for simply not knowing how moronic NJ laws are while traveling down I-95. I have encountered much confusion as to how to legally ride a motorcycle while carrying a handgun - it has no locked compartment not accessible to the operator.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  4. #74
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: U.S. Supreme Court declines new gun regulations challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    'Ya know, I am kind of in the middle regarding this issue. I do feel that background checks should be necessary so that criminals and crazy people cannot legally purchase a gun. However, once passing a background check, I very strongly feel that carrying a gun is a constitutional right, per the second amendment. I believe the members of the Supreme Court are being cowards in avoiding this issue. And since this is the Roberts court, I am somewhat surprised, not to mention deeply disappointed.

    Discussion?

    Article is here.
    Nothing has changed, and so what's to debate?

  5. #75
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,890

    Re: U.S. Supreme Court declines new gun regulations challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    With 50 to 50K different laws concerning carrying a handgun, interstate travel would be a hit and miss affair. Unlike committing a traffic violation, like not turning on your headlights when operating your wipers (MD law), one may easily face felony charges for simply not knowing how moronic NJ laws are while traveling down I-95. I have encountered much confusion as to how to legally ride a motorcycle while carrying a handgun - it has no locked compartment not accessible to the operator.
    He keeps ignoring this. It's an undue burden and impossible to conform to. (And that could be one intention.)
    Last edited by Lursa; 05-05-14 at 06:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  6. #76
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: U.S. Supreme Court declines new gun regulations challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by Paxaeon View Post
    `
    In my humble opinion; SCOTUS dodged the issue because a decision either way, will cause civil unrest, especially if it ruled against the gun nuts.
    In the event of a civil unrest, one side will be armed, while the other is not. I wonder who would win, then. Let's ask Native Americans how easy it is to fight an armed force with spears and bows given that it worked out for them so well.

  7. #77
    Guru

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:58 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,671

    Re: U.S. Supreme Court declines new gun regulations challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    With 50 to 50K different laws concerning carrying a handgun, interstate travel would be a hit and miss affair. Unlike committing a traffic violation, like not turning on your headlights when operating your wipers (MD law), one may easily face felony charges for simply not knowing how moronic NJ laws are while traveling down I-95. I have encountered much confusion as to how to legally ride a motorcycle while carrying a handgun - it has no locked compartment not accessible to the operator.
    I'm not going to begin to argue that all regulation is good, clear, and needed.. because it's not. And it can and should be MUCH better.

  8. #78
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,620

    Re: U.S. Supreme Court declines new gun regulations challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    There is little doubt that requiring a permit is a violation of the second amendment.
    Then you and the NRA ought to challenge the permit system in court. it has for a very long time puzzled me that the ardent 2nd A 'patriots' and our bastion of 2nd amendment rights- the NRA- seem content to rant online, send me a constant barrage of fearmongering propaganda and buy up a bevy of K-Street 3K suits to lobby the 'cowards' in congress instead of taking this to the Supreme Court.

    Way I see it, the ardent 2nd A's know they are on the extreme edge and reasonable limits are exactly what the Supreme Court would call Concealed Carry permits. I believe the Supreme Court tipped it's hand on the issue and the NRA balked.

    Now before the ardent 2nd A 'patriots' scream a blue streak... I believe it took far too long for Heller and McDonald (home defense should be allowed for ALL citizens, even felons once they are off parole/probation)... for all the NRA screams with each mass mailing for donations they snail's pace they are on MIGHT have the CCW issue before a court in my great grand kid's time.

  9. #79
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,601

    Re: U.S. Supreme Court declines new gun regulations challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by Mithros View Post
    I'm not going to begin to argue that all regulation is good, clear, and needed.. because it's not. And it can and should be MUCH better.
    That is a wonderful way of saying absolutely nothing. This is a matter of treating what many (legitimately?) feel is a constitutional right as a felony - we all know that ignorance of the law is no excuse. Do you also think modest amounts of slavery (they will call it privatization of community service, of course) are OK in local jurisdictions? How about laws that bend the Miranda rights just a tad?
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  10. #80
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,601

    Re: U.S. Supreme Court declines new gun regulations challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by notquiteright View Post
    Then you and the NRA ought to challenge the permit system in court. it has for a very long time puzzled me that the ardent 2nd A 'patriots' and our bastion of 2nd amendment rights- the NRA- seem content to rant online, send me a constant barrage of fearmongering propaganda and buy up a bevy of K-Street 3K suits to lobby the 'cowards' in congress instead of taking this to the Supreme Court.

    Way I see it, the ardent 2nd A's know they are on the extreme edge and reasonable limits are exactly what the Supreme Court would call Concealed Carry permits. I believe the Supreme Court tipped it's hand on the issue and the NRA balked.

    Now before the ardent 2nd A 'patriots' scream a blue streak... I believe it took far too long for Heller and McDonald (home defense should be allowed for ALL citizens, even felons once they are off parole/probation)... for all the NRA screams with each mass mailing for donations they snail's pace they are on MIGHT have the CCW issue before a court in my great grand kid's time.
    Here is the rub on that plan; in order to have "standing" for appeal then you have to break a law, get convicted and sentenced. That is no small matter when a felony charge is involved and our court appeals process can take years only to wind up, like this case, with the SCOTUS simply bowing out. The NRA is an odd bunch, when it comes to 2A rights, since they seem to like having CCW permit/CHL laws that mandate passing their training programs as a prerequisite.

    http://www.yourchltexas.net/nra-pistol-course.html
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •