Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 270

Thread: Supreme Court ruling favors prayer at council meeting [W:93:217]

  1. #211
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: Supreme Court ruling favors prayer at council meeting [W:93]

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    Supreme Court ruling favors prayer at council meeting - Washington Times


    Too bad they forgot about high school football game prayers. ... /smh
    What a lot of people don't understand is that the government cannot endorse a religion, nor can they prohibit an individual from practicing their religion (even if they're politicians - which the coach is not but I thought it was necessary to add).

    The First Amendment defends freedom of religion and forbids the government from sponsoring a particular religion and forcing that religion on the populace.

    Obviously if a student didn't want to partake in the prayer that would be a First Amendment violation, however if all the ball players by their own will participated in the prayer that is perfectly fine.

    The First Amendment is clear - our government cannot establish a national religion and cannot force individuals to adhere to a specific religion.

  2. #212
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Last Seen
    07-21-14 @ 07:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    614

    Re: Supreme Court ruling favors prayer at council meeting

    Quote Originally Posted by Risky Thicket View Post
    I'm not getting into that with you. You know what harm is. There's no need for me to explain it.

    Along with other angry and concerned parents the issue has long since been addressed with the school principal, the superintendent and the nutcase fire and brimstone preacher.


    How then does not having public prayer in the context of the OP harm anyone?

    If I agreed with everything I heard in Christian prayers I'd still be a Christian. If I agree with everything I hear in Muslim prayers I'd be a Muslim. The prayers don't personally offend me. Public prayers that preach and denigrate, damn and condemn have no place in publicly funded meetings, events, venues. Therein lies the rub.

    What do you suggest should happen when a religionist disrespects others during a public prayer by tramping into damning alcoholics to hell, rebuking homosexuals and accusing Muslims of being godless heathens?

    I can see the political maneuvering to get "the right" religious leader on the dais to provide the prayer before a local council meeting that will address the location and/or operation of an abortion clinic. If the religious leader strays even a little bit into the issue of abortion the prayer becomes political. Do you stop the religious leader mid prayer and tell him to sit down and be quiet? Or do you wait until he/she is finished and admonish them never to do it again. No harm, no foul. It won't be viewed as no harm, no foul by the people who oppose the references made in the prayer.

    Political prayer posturing in public meetings is and should be a very real concern in everything from zoning to funding school vouchers.
    The fact is that we all know what harm is. So you can't or won't explain how you or your children will be harmed by prayer. OK. But you then want to turn around and ask how not having prayer before a meeting is harming people? Who said it was? Anyone in this thread? Then get out of here with that self serving strawman.

    You can "see" the political maneuvering to get a "religonist" to the dais to provide a prayer before a local council meeting? First off, where do you imagine city council meetings have a "dais" that prayers or anything else is conducted at or on? I have never even seen a religous leader or clergy lead a prayer before a council meeting. I've been to hundreds if not thousands of such meetings. I've never seen anyone but council members lead the "Lord's Prayer" before a meeting. Before the meeting. So your vision of these "religionist " who are going to take over and interject all manner of imagined sermons into council meetings is balderdash. Where do you get this stuff at? Got even a single example of this happening anywhere? The suit this ruling is associated with regards the reading of the Lord's Prayer and that is it. Period. There is no threat of "religionist" enforcing sermons about abortion during the lord's prayer or during a meeting. Seriously, "religionist " jockeying to get the coveted spot reciting the Lord's Prayer before city council meetings, so they can interject abortion and damming alcoholism into meetings? Even if such lunacy were realistic guess what? Every city council has polices and policeman on hand to enforce them, if ever someone did try to do this fantasy sermonizing you speak of.

    Frankly you make a good case for why hyperbolic claims like yours carry no weight. You have this fantasy problem you warn of, about "rreligionist " imposing abortion and damning alcoholics to hell from the dais at city council meetings. What next? These religionist will be doing all of this from a replica of the Iron Throne of Westeros at city council meetings?
    Last edited by Filthy McNasty; 05-07-14 at 04:59 PM.

  3. #213
    Sewer Rat
    Risky Thicket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,803

    Re: Supreme Court ruling favors prayer at council meeting

    Quote Originally Posted by Filthy McNasty View Post
    The fact is that we all know what harm is. So you can't or won't explain how you or your children will be harmed by prayer. OK. But you then want to turn around and ask how not having prayer before a meeting is harming people? Who said it was? Anyone in this thread? Then get out of here with that self serving strawman.

    You can "see" the political maneuvering to get a "religonist" to the dais to provide a prayer before a local council meeting? First off, where do you imagine city council meetings have a "dais" that prayers or anything else is conducted at or on? I have never even seen a religous leader or clergy lead a prayer before a council meeting. I've been to hundreds if not thousands of such meetings. I've never seen anyone but council members lead the "Lord's Prayer" before a meeting. Before the meeting. So your vision of these "religionist " who are going to take over and interject all manner of imagined sermons into council meetings is balderdash. Where do you get this stuff at? Got even a single example of this happening anywhere? The suit this ruling is associated with regards the reading of the Lord's Prayer and that is it. Period. There is no threat of "religionist" enforcing sermons about abortion during the lord's prayer or during a meeting. Seriously, "religionist " jockeying to get the coveted spot reciting the Lord's Prayer before city council meetings, so they can interject abortion and damming alcoholism into meetings? Even if such lunacy were realistic guess what? Every city council has polices and policeman on hand to enforce them, if ever someone did try to do this fantasy sermonizing you speak of.

    Frankly you make a good case for why hyperbolic claims like yours carry no weight. You have this fantasy problem you warn of, about "rreligionist " imposing abortion and damning alcoholics to hell from the dais at city council meetings. What next? These religionist will be doing all of this from a replica of the Iron Throne of Westeros at city council meetings?
    Take a deep breath. It's just an internet forum.










    "When Faith preaches Hate, Blessed are the Doubters." - Amin Maalouf

    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that person is crazy. ~Dave Barry



  4. #214
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Last Seen
    07-21-14 @ 07:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    614

    Re: Supreme Court ruling favors prayer at council meeting

    Quote Originally Posted by Risky Thicket View Post
    Take a deep breath. It's just an internet forum.
    In other words you figured out the obvious fact that "religionist" are not jockeying for position on "the dais" to interject abortion or sermons about damning alcoholics to hell, into the lord's prayer before council meetings.

  5. #215
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,217

    Re: Supreme Court ruling favors prayer at council meeting

    Okay, I am totally and unapologetically NON-religious, as is my husband, and we were both raised by parents who "believed". We have chosen not to expose our kids to religion preferring instead that they decide when they're older of and what religion they will honor/follow.

    However....I am never offended if they are exposed to religion and can't imagine why anyone would think they are harmed by someone praying, or that they are being "forced" into exposure to someone else's religion because of prayer in a group setting. Hell we're "exposed" to **** all day long against our will if you want to look at it that way. If I said I think my kids would be harmed by seeing two women sticking their tongues down each other's throats in public, or by a woman whipping out her breast on a plane to nurse her baby, some people would be all over me calling me everything from a bigot to a bitch (I don't have a problem with either one, BTW, just tossing out examples).

    It's also my opinion that some people hide behind the "separation of chuch and state" to justify their contempt for people with strong religious beliefs.

  6. #216
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: Supreme Court ruling favors prayer at council meeting

    I'm not the biggest Bill Mahr fan but he did say something (and at times) I agree with.

    Mahr: "I'm and Atheist not a Vampire"

    I think that sums up the whole anti-religion crowed.

    You wont melt if you see a crucifix or a 6 point star - nor does it mean the government is endorsing a religion because a community voted to erect such monuments.

    If you're an atheist and don't believe in religion then why do religious symbols bother you considering you don't believe in them in the first place.

    A lot of progressive believe Obama is the best thing since sliced bread but when I see his mug on TV talking **** I don't feel the need to change my politics nor to I believe he is at all "converting me" with his nonsense --- Also, I just change the channel... That was just an analogy because I don't watch TV.

  7. #217
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Gina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    31,923

    Re: Supreme Court ruling favors prayer at council meeting

    Moderator's Warning:
    Supreme Court ruling favors prayer at council meeting [W:93:217]
    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Seems that you are whining.
    Quote Originally Posted by Removable Mind View Post
    yeah, I learned how from you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Filthy McNasty View Post
    Coming from someone who has thus far lacked the capacity to actually reply to comments made to them? That ad hominem personal insult is rich. The last resort of those who can't convince anyone that what "offends" them should be the law? Ad hominem personal attacks. You're really "winning" the debate now!
    The personal comments stop here. As per the earlier warning, stick closely to the topic which is NOT each other. Thread bans and/or points will be awarded for those who make zero-content/baiting/personal comment posts or for responding in-kind to posts like that. This is a zero tolerance warning.
    I don't attack my constituents. Bob is my constituent now.
    This is the important stuff. We canít get lost in discrimination. We canít get lost in B.S. We canít get lost tearing each other down. I want to make a point here that no matter what you look like, where you come from, how you worship, who you love, how you identify, and yeah, how you run, that if you have good public policy ideas, if you are well qualified for office, bring those ideas to the table, because this is your America, too. This is our commonwealth of Virginia, too.
    Danica Roem - The nation's first openly transgender person elected to serve in a U.S. state legislature.

  8. #218
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,797

    Re: Supreme Court ruling favors prayer at council meeting

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    However....I am never offended if they are exposed to religion and can't imagine why anyone would think they are harmed by someone praying, or that they are being "forced" into exposure to someone else's religion because of prayer in a group setting.

    It's also my opinion that some people hide behind the "separation of chuch and state" to justify their contempt for people with strong religious beliefs.
    I agree with most of your comment - I see willingly tolerating displays of the locally dominant religion as nothing more than good citizenship, good manners, being a decent neighbor, etc.

    But in the case they do cite examples where the prayer leader requested public participation - all stand, bow your heads, etc. This requires an affirmation, or absence, that you're part of the dominant 'club.' And if you have important business in front of the council, who are all pious members in this club, it's understandable some might believe they might not get a fair shake or their odds decrease when you declare up front you're an outsider.

  9. #219
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: Supreme Court ruling favors prayer at council meeting

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    I agree with most of your comment - I see willingly tolerating displays of the locally dominant religion as nothing more than good citizenship, good manners, being a decent neighbor, etc.

    But in the case they do cite examples where the prayer leader requested public participation - all stand, bow your heads, etc. This requires an affirmation, or absence, that you're part of the dominant 'club.' And if you have important business in front of the council, who are all pious members in this club, it's understandable some might believe they might not get a fair shake or their odds decrease when you declare up front you're an outsider.
    It's funny. I'm a Christian (I don't practice as much as I should) but I see signs and billboards preaching ideas that I don't agree with personally and at times contradict my Christian beliefs, however those groups have every right to display their message - that is what makes the United States so great - First Amendment rights, yet atheists get bent when Christians advertise their ideas?

    In my opinion it appears Atheists have a war against Christianity and potentially Judaism, however it seems Islam is immune from their disgust and hate - and that, within itself raises a lot of questions as to the motives of the Atheists - because the way I see it they're really not "non believers" they just hate CERTAIN religions. Now why - I can only speculate but I can only assume by their actions they have a vendetta against Jews and Christians.

    Now of course I cannot claim every Atheist adheres to such a radical ideal but I do believe there is a majority that does.

  10. #220
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,217

    Re: Supreme Court ruling favors prayer at council meeting

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    I agree with most of your comment - I see willingly tolerating displays of the locally dominant religion as nothing more than good citizenship, good manners, being a decent neighbor, etc.

    But in the case they do cite examples where the prayer leader requested public participation - all stand, bow your heads, etc. This requires an affirmation, or absence, that you're part of the dominant 'club.' And if you have important business in front of the council, who are all pious members in this club, it's understandable some might believe they might not get a fair shake or their odds decrease when you declare up front you're an outsider.
    I understand what you're saying and I agree with that. I've been in certain situations where others bow their head in prayer (saying grace and whatnot) and my husband, kids or I bow our heads - sort of - but don't pray. We have also stood for certain things, such as prayer at weddings and even Eagle Scout ceremonies. We do it, but are silent. But it still doesn't offend me or harm me in any way.

    I actually respect people who hold religious beliefs, no matter what they are - Buddhist, Muslim, Jewish, Christian, etc. I think those beliefs are good ones and I've seen people on the hairy edge of disaster turn their lives around when they find God.

Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •