Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 270

Thread: Supreme Court ruling favors prayer at council meeting [W:93:217]

  1. #161
    Heavy Hitter


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    63,589

    Re: Supreme Court ruling favors prayer at council meeting

    Quote Originally Posted by Filthy McNasty View Post
    Yes that is correct, in fact you might say it is common knowledge. Like "why" citizens in cities and towns in America have chosen for hundreds of years to have a prayer or benediction before the aforementioned meetings. Your stunning ignorance about of all this makes none of it any less obvious.


    Does not make it wrong either, as much as "you say so" appeals to you.
    The US has about 80% of its population believing in myths, superstitions, and fairy tales that we summarily call religion. Western Europe has less than 50%. Japan has even fewer. We are falling behind.

  2. #162
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,497

    Re: Supreme Court ruling favors prayer at council meeting

    Quote Originally Posted by Filthy McNasty View Post
    Well the bad news for you is that the Prayer Nazi's are out of luck. In general nobody buys your tortured rationale. You are not really interested in hearing much less thinking about anything BUT your dictate. You blithely sidestep and ignore any attempts to get you to engage outside of your dictate. When I point out the fallacy of your Satanist hypothetical (not surprisingly coming from someone rejecting everything in favor of their own personal opinion) you say that does not matter! Of course in order to explain your opinion, you have to first post erroneous hypotheticals which you will later state really mean noting at all! Yeah that much was obvious.


    I think I'll do the opposite and I'm not religious. I'll be thankful that narrow minded people engaging in specious arguments predicated in willful ignorance and obstinacy don't make for convincing or persuasive advocates of or opponents of anything.




    There is that tortured rationale again. Now allowing a prayer before a meeting is somehow the establishment of religion in government! Yes yes, it likely is time for you to run along. It's getting eyeball high in bovine feces up in here.

    For someone not religious as you claim...you sure are doing your own clinging...which is to support dismantling separation of church and state.

    I had to literally go, leave my home, drive 80 miles. I wasn't running away from an argument. I'll hang in for days if your up to it.

    If you're eyeball high in Bovine feces - perhaps you should run alone. I'm surrounded by Texas Beef Master Ranches. No bother to me. In fact, you might shovel some up and bag it. It's worth some money.

  3. #163
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,497

    Re: Supreme Court ruling favors prayer at council meeting

    Quote Originally Posted by Kreton View Post
    It what way are they not? You are saying people shouldn't pray out loud because you don't want to hear it. How is that any different than me not wanting to hear singing?
    Oh, but you would want to hear...JESUS LOVES ME THIS I KNOWWWWWWWWWW! It's a town hall favorite.

  4. #164
    Sewer Rat
    Risky Thicket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,803

    Re: Supreme Court ruling favors prayer at council meeting

    Quote Originally Posted by Moon View Post
    It's a simple question. I can't define the harm you suffer from someone saying a prayer because it's not something I've experienced. If you're not able.or willing to answer, then I guess that's an answer in and if itself.

    If you're not familiar the dictionary definition of the word, then by all means look it up.
    Your snarkiness is unwarranted. Tone it down.

    Yes, my children experienced harm from a prayer given prior to a public event.










    "When Faith preaches Hate, Blessed are the Doubters." - Amin Maalouf

    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that person is crazy. ~Dave Barry



  5. #165
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,497

    Re: Supreme Court ruling favors prayer at council meeting

    Quote Originally Posted by Filthy McNasty View Post
    Why is the sky blue?
    Because the guy at the town hall meeting said it was?

  6. #166
    Sewer Rat
    Risky Thicket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,803

    Re: Supreme Court ruling favors prayer at council meeting

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Well, he seems to be suggesting that an individual use their own definition for harm.

    "If YOU have been harmed by a prayer, or think you could be, then tell me how."

    Basically, he's asking that if you personally think you've been harmed (so however you personally define harm), or think you could be, he would like you to explain how that is.

    His definition of harm doesn't really matter much when asking you if YOU think you have or could be harmed...because nothing forces you to use his definition, so there's no reason for you to think you've been harmed or not harmed based on HIS definition.

    Basically, he seems to be asking people to do what calamity did....explain whether or not they personally think prayer at a public meeting harms them, and how.

    Calamity explained by explaining his apparent definition of harm....IE, an action that runs counter to his particular desire for how the world should be.
    Sorry for the delayed response. I had a plane to catch.

    If "harm" is defined only on personal terms we're back to square one, the term is meaningless. What we will have - and it will happen in the future - is that the extremists such as calamity and Moot will declare "harm" only as it defends their position. Christians who are not extremists and non-Christians who are not extremists will, as so often happens, be caught in the crossfire of intolerance, disrespect and bigotry.

    The vast, vast, vast, vast majority of Christians and non-Christians have been and will be bushwhacked, pissed at and pissed on at the work of a few.
    Last edited by Risky Thicket; 05-06-14 at 10:03 PM.










    "When Faith preaches Hate, Blessed are the Doubters." - Amin Maalouf

    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that person is crazy. ~Dave Barry



  7. #167
    Bohemian Revolutionary
    Demon of Light's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    03-07-17 @ 12:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,095

    Re: Supreme Court ruling favors prayer at council meeting [W:93]

    All this talk about harm is interesting. Does anyone honestly think people who are openly hostile or hateful towards religion increasingly forcing religion out of the public eye because being confronted with it offends them is not going to cause harm to people of faith or to society? People who feel that way are relying on their own sort of superstition about human nature and the morality of reason.
    "For what is Evil but Good-tortured by its own hunger and thirst?"
    - Khalil Gibran

  8. #168
    User Lonely Eternity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Last Seen
    05-03-16 @ 10:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    76

    Re: Supreme Court ruling favors prayer at council meeting [W:93]

    I really don't see an issue with it so long as all faiths in the community are being represented and the prayer isn't specifically addressing a single faith. Other than that, I don't give a rat's bum what individual people pray to. Just don't try to preach to me and we'll be good.

  9. #169
    Educator
    Slyhunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    06-22-15 @ 03:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: Supreme Court ruling favors prayer at council meeting [W:93]

    Liberals argue that states are allowed to restrict peoples right to bear arms, through licensing laws or outright bans, because the state is not limited by the federal constitution that just the federal government is. Using that same logic there is no reason why state, county's, etc cannot be free to promote religion, doing so does not violate insuring that the federal government does not promote the religion.
    Islam is an antiquated religion and needs to either modernize with the times or be completely eradicated.
    There are two types of Muslims, terrorists, and their enablers. They need to fix that if they want to be part of civilized society.

  10. #170
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,567

    Re: Supreme Court ruling favors prayer at council meeting

    Quote Originally Posted by Kreton View Post
    I dont like to hear people talk about tv shows. Should that not be allowed? Or people signing? Expressing concern about the government? Where are you drawing this line? It seems like you think only the religious voice should be oppressed.
    I'm confused. Does your religion not work if you can't involve it in government? Christians would be the first ones crying and whining when a town hall meeting gets opened up with a muslim prayer.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •