Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: More than 2,100 confirmed dead in Afghan landslide.

  1. #1
    Sage
    Higgins86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,248

    More than 2,100 confirmed dead in Afghan landslide.

    More than 2,100 confirmed dead in Afghan landslide


    Anyone see this yesterday? Awful stuff in a country where a lot of people probably think it can't get any worse.



    "More than 2,100 people from 300 families are all dead," Naweed Forotan, a spokesman for the Badakhshan provincial governor, told Reuters.

    Villagers and a few dozen police, equipped with only basic digging tools, resumed their search when daylight broke but it soon became clear there was no hope of finding survivors buried in up to 100 meters of mud."



    Hopefully the UN and Nato forces in the region will be able to help with the survivors and the re-building process.
    ‘This is not peace, it is an armistice for 20 years.’ (Ferdinand Foch. After the Treaty of Versailles, 1919).

  2. #2
    Gone

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-16-16 @ 03:15 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    8,585

    Re: More than 2,100 confirmed dead in Afghan landslide.

    Quote Originally Posted by Higgins86 View Post
    More than 2,100 confirmed dead in Afghan landslide


    Anyone see this yesterday? Awful stuff in a country where a lot of people probably think it can't get any worse.



    "More than 2,100 people from 300 families are all dead," Naweed Forotan, a spokesman for the Badakhshan provincial governor, told Reuters.

    Villagers and a few dozen police, equipped with only basic digging tools, resumed their search when daylight broke but it soon became clear there was no hope of finding survivors buried in up to 100 meters of mud."



    Hopefully the UN and Nato forces in the region will be able to help with the survivors and the re-building process.
    It is doubtful either the UN or NATO will mount a large humanitarian effort or rescue. It has been made clear these people do not want western influence within the country, and would just assume kill them as anything else.

    Looks like they need to ask Allah for help....it's probably the best hope.

  3. #3
    Sage
    Higgins86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,248

    Re: More than 2,100 confirmed dead in Afghan landslide.

    Quote Originally Posted by tecoyah View Post
    It is doubtful either the UN or NATO will mount a large humanitarian effort or rescue. It has been made clear these people do not want western influence within the country, and would just assume kill them as anything else.

    Looks like they need to ask Allah for help....it's probably the best hope.

    I dont think that is true at all, your confusing local villagers etc with the Taliban.
    ‘This is not peace, it is an armistice for 20 years.’ (Ferdinand Foch. After the Treaty of Versailles, 1919).

  4. #4
    Global Moderator
    May the force be with you
    Serenity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,876

    Re: More than 2,100 confirmed dead in Afghan landslide.

    This is terrible.

    They don't have the machinery and equipment needed to even start to cope with something like this. The images coming out of there are awful.

  5. #5
    Gone

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-16-16 @ 03:15 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    8,585

    Re: More than 2,100 confirmed dead in Afghan landslide.

    Quote Originally Posted by Higgins86 View Post
    I dont think that is true at all, your confusing local villagers etc with the Taliban.
    The local police regularly kill the western forces that are trying to train them. The Taliban tend to kill the locals rather than western forces.

    And it really does not matter in regard to this thread....The entire region has become pariah to everyone who might help.

    Basically, the Middle East is getting what they asked for.....the great Satan no linger cares.

  6. #6
    Sage
    Higgins86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,248

    Re: More than 2,100 confirmed dead in Afghan landslide.

    Quote Originally Posted by tecoyah View Post
    The local police regularly kill the western forces that are trying to train them. The Taliban tend to kill the locals rather than western forces.

    And it really does not matter in regard to this thread....The entire region has become pariah to everyone who might help.

    Basically, the Middle East is getting what they asked for.....the great Satan no linger cares.

    Basically the middle east is getting what they asked for?

    Not much I can really say and stay civil with you so I will leave it there.
    ‘This is not peace, it is an armistice for 20 years.’ (Ferdinand Foch. After the Treaty of Versailles, 1919).

  7. #7
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,360

    Re: More than 2,100 confirmed dead in Afghan landslide.

    Just awful. No matter where we live, we're all people, we're all apart of the same human family. Hopefully these people get the help they need.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  8. #8
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:34 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    42,876

    Re: More than 2,100 confirmed dead in Afghan landslide.

    Quote Originally Posted by tecoyah View Post
    The local police regularly kill the western forces that are trying to train them. The Taliban tend to kill the locals rather than western forces.

    And it really does not matter in regard to this thread....The entire region has become pariah to everyone who might help.

    Basically, the Middle East is getting what they asked for.....the great Satan no linger cares.
    Afghanistan is not in the Middle East.
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  9. #9
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: More than 2,100 confirmed dead in Afghan landslide.

    Unbelievable - just so ugh. I hate nature sometimes, I really do.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  10. #10
    Paying To Play
    AJiveMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    wisconSIN
    Last Seen
    05-15-15 @ 04:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,775

    Re: More than 2,100 confirmed dead in Afghan landslide.

    Reminds me of the Washington state mudslide, people caught off their guard by nature. Terrible thing to have to go through.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •