Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 129

Thread: Dems seek to rally base over GOP's block of minimum wage bill

  1. #71
    Paying To Play
    AJiveMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    wisconSIN
    Last Seen
    05-15-15 @ 04:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,775

    Re: Dems seek to rally base over GOP's block of minimum wage bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    And the GOP will rally it's base by.....

    I couldn't find anything, dang, they're empty handed once again!

  2. #72
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Last Seen
    10-02-17 @ 04:49 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    521

    Re: How $10.10 an hour could get votes in November

    Quote Originally Posted by Sean.McDonnell View Post
    I don't understand why the minimum wage shouldn't rise. Prices have.
    Consider that in the early 60s the minimum wage was set at 1 dollar, which had the purchasing power of 15 of today's dollars. So people are actually making less money now than 50 years ago.
    The Real Minimum Wage Falls Every Year
    Because its a perpetual cycle that never ends. Ever since the dollar went off the gold standard we had this problem of dealing with inflation, wages, and cost of living increases. What need is there for wages and prices to keep going up? Society doesn't benefit from this (as you stated purchasing power is less today than 40-50 years ago), so who does? The banks. Wages decline as inflation builds and the bankers/financiers are the only ones who benefit. Plain and simple. The eroding value of the dollar is the problem, not minimum wage.

    Raising the minimum wage will cause either A) cost of product/service increases to make up for lost profit, or B) layoffs will increase. So you want to make more while also paying more, leaving the net gain near zero? That is efficient? I don't follow the logic.

    Minimum wage is a joke, the FED is a joke, and society is a joke. I'm just waiting for the reset. Hope it happens in my lifetime.
    Last edited by JRSaindo; 05-01-14 at 02:24 PM.

  3. #73
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,171

    Re: How $10.10 an hour could get votes in November

    Quote Originally Posted by Porchev View Post
    How would increasing the minimum wage reduce unemployment?
    There's a lot of research coming out that frictions in low wage labor markets create a non-competitive environment. They tend to operate with characteristics you would see in a monopsony.

    The causes for higher levels of frictions are generally associated with massive transportation problems for low wage workers and information on job openings in low wage labor. Low wage employers tend to use informal methods to find new employee's like through word of mouth.
    “Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.” John Maynard Keynes

  4. #74
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Last Seen
    10-02-17 @ 04:49 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    521

    Re: How $10.10 an hour could get votes in November

    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Nonsense. We have the highest minimum wage in America here in WA, And since it went up, unemployment has decreased.

    The right wing myth has been exposed.
    Check the U-6 unemployment rate, that is the one that should be of concern, not the padded U-3 rate. That is what is referred to when people drop out of the labor force due to lack of work for so long.

  5. #75
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,159

    Re: How $10.10 an hour could get votes in November

    Wait, you mean one political party is trying to get their base motivated for the election? I am shocked, I tell you.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  6. #76
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,366

    Re: How $10.10 an hour could get votes in November

    Quote Originally Posted by vasuderatorrent View Post
    Nope. I was explaining the logic used when people claim that minimum wage will increase unemployment. I wasn't assuming jack squat. Did you read this comment in the thread?



    You probably didn't.
    So in other words "never mind"?
    There is no reason to believe that companies will lay off needed employees simply because of a raise in minimum wage.
    There... I fixed it for you.

  7. #77
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,366

    Re: How $10.10 an hour could get votes in November

    Quote Originally Posted by JRSaindo View Post
    Because its a perpetual cycle that never ends. Ever since the dollar went off the gold standard we had this problem of dealing with inflation, wages, and cost of living increases. What need is there for wages and prices to keep going up? Society doesn't benefit from this (as you stated purchasing power is less today than 40-50 years ago), so who does? The banks. Wages decline as inflation builds and the bankers/financiers are the only ones who benefit. Plain and simple. The eroding value of the dollar is the problem, not minimum wage.

    Raising the minimum wage will cause either A) cost of product/service increases to make up for lost profit, or B) layoffs will increase. So you want to make more while also paying more, leaving the net gain near zero? That is efficient? I don't follow the logic.

    Minimum wage is a joke, the FED is a joke, and society is a joke. I'm just waiting for the reset. Hope it happens in my lifetime.
    The "joke" is on you.

  8. #78
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: How $10.10 an hour could get votes in November

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    The "joke" is on you.
    How much gross revenue does an average business need to generate to cover $1 dollar of added cost?

  9. #79
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,366

    Re: How $10.10 an hour could get votes in November

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    How much gross revenue does an average business need to generate to cover $1 dollar of added cost?
    Let see...McDonalds profits last year were over $5.5 billion. How many employees could that cover?

  10. #80
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: How $10.10 an hour could get votes in November

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    Let see...McDonalds profits last year were over $5.5 billion. How many employees could that cover?
    I believe the question was how much gross revenue does an average business need to generate to cover $1 dollar of added cost.

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •