Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 129

Thread: Dems seek to rally base over GOP's block of minimum wage bill

  1. #41
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:58 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,718

    Re: Dems seek to rally base over GOP's block of minimum wage bill

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    I think there will be some interesting back and forth about this given that, according to Navy Times, the edict from the White House that government contractors adhere to the new minimum wage rules that Obama wants passed nationwide led to the announcement that up to 5,700 fast food jobs on military bases would be lost as chains announced closures.

    I think Obama screwed up here. By taking his preferred royal edict route to getting what he wants he has simply given everyone a window in to how his plan will effect those making minimum wage.
    pretty much i forgot about that. They did or are closing those down.
    it is sad that those people are losing their jobs. while making 7.25 isn't great it is better than making 0

  2. #42
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Dems seek to rally base over GOP's block of minimum wage bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    It's an emotional game for the left. Propose something asinine economically or intellectually that you can spin as cruel, or mean spirited then sit back and rake in the low IQ and overly emotional twerp votes. It's sad, but it works. Lot's of dumb, emotional fools out there fall for this crap then wonder why their poor.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  3. #43
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: How $10.10 an hour could get votes in November

    Quote Originally Posted by 99percenter View Post
    I don't think this issue will help them in November. I think gun control is a better issue to talk about since 90% of americans support it and the republicans are opposed to any sane gun regulation. Either way they are toast because of the obamacare.
    Oh please, PLEASE run on the ban guns crap. Want to really see a blow out in Nov?
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  4. #44
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    Re: How $10.10 an hour could get votes in November

    Quote Originally Posted by ginwood View Post
    why not make it $30 an hour, like it really OUGHT to be, hmm? If, that is, as you claim, you REALLY want it to be a living wage, and if you really want such people paying taxes, getting ahead, etc. Why not make the US COMPLETELY non-competitive in the global market. ? You KNOW damned well that MOST other wages and prices would go up by a factor of 4 (at least). So why not make it obvious to everyone what you REALLY want, hmm? To buy votes or some other ignorance/skullduggery.
    Libertarians like smaller government! Why not make it NO government, like it really OUGHT to be, hmm? If, that is, as you claim, you REALLY want the government out of your life, and you really want lower taxes, etc. Why not eliminate the United States of America COMPLETELY as a political entity?

    Maybe you can't just extrapolate every proposed action to extremes. Some conservative politicians want to increase the military budget, why not triple the military budget??? Silly conservatives and their desire to triple the military budget! So dumb, those conservatives!!!
    Last edited by Deuce; 05-01-14 at 10:48 AM.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  5. #45
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    Re: How $10.10 an hour could get votes in November

    Quote Originally Posted by vasuderatorrent View Post
    Some very small businesses can't afford the wage increase. They just shut down their business. Some larger business budget a certain amount of money for wages. If the minimum wage increases they have to fire some of the people to make up the difference. It's a logical theory. I don't know if it really pans out that way in reality but it is logic. Let me give you a simplistic example. There are too many factors but this will at least help you understand the logic behind the claims.


    A large company budgets $4,976,400.00 for salaries for 2014. The company has 330 employees all being paid minimum wage. If minimum wage increases to $10.10 per hour the company is only willing to pay 237 employees at that cost. 93 people will be fired right off the bat.

    330 employees x $7.25 x 40 hours x 52 weeks = $4,976,400.00
    237 employees x $10.10 x 40 hours x 52 weeks = $4,978,896.00

    That means that 28% of people earning minimum wage will lose their job.
    If 6,000,000 are earning minimum wage then 1,680,000 will lose their job. That's the logic. Don't get pissed at me though. This is just the logic with a simplistic example. There are billions and billions of factors to consider. Nobody has a crystal ball. Nobody can predict the impact of increasing the minimum wage. Consult your capitalistic religion or socialistic religion for the true answers.
    Jesus. Many of the right wingers on this subject took econ 101 and think they understand the implications on the economy. You've dumbed it down to grade school math and then declare there are billions and billions of factors to consider. You predict that 28% of people earning minimum wage would lose their job and then say nobody can predict the impact.

    Here's a news flash: we've raised the minimum wage before and that's now how it goes.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  6. #46
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    Re: How $10.10 an hour could get votes in November

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    Thank you for your simplistic example. It is that.

    If the company needed 330 hourly employees to get the job done, do you think 237 employees can do the same work in 40 hours each? If that is the case, why not adjust to 237 employees right now. Sorry, your simplistic example has a major logic flaw, which is why it is simplistic and therefore not a relevant example.

    IF the business is profitable and needs 330 employees to meet demand, it needs 330 employees. Though an argument might be made that moving the payroll up by 1/3 drives unit cost above unit revenue (its no longer profitable) or the business has to raise prices, in which case units sold drops..and therefore the number of employees to make fewer units drops..... more likely, however, the cost comes out of profits.... and since that is unacceptable, it will come out of executive bonuses, which means is the 1% (of the 10%) that will pay for this. Guess what? They are the ones that should be.
    If you think the executives are going to take the brunt of a minimum wage hike, you've been living on a different planet than I have.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  7. #47
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: How $10.10 an hour could get votes in November

    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    I didn't say it caused unemployment to go down. But all the naysayers were sure it would immediately increase unemployment. The opposite happened. So you tell me, what happened?
    Isn't it obvious?

    By rewarding work with more pay, employers encouraged people to stop working and leave the work force!!
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  8. #48
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,383

    Re: How $10.10 an hour could get votes in November

    Quote Originally Posted by vasuderatorrent View Post
    Some very small businesses can't afford the wage increase. They just shut down their business. Some larger business budget a certain amount of money for wages. If the minimum wage increases they have to fire some of the people to make up the difference. It's a logical theory. I don't know if it really pans out that way in reality but it is logic. Let me give you a simplistic example. There are too many factors but this will at least help you understand the logic behind the claims.


    A large company budgets $4,976,400.00 for salaries for 2014. The company has 330 employees all being paid minimum wage. If minimum wage increases to $10.10 per hour the company is only willing to pay 237 employees at that cost. 93 people will be fired right off the bat.

    330 employees x $7.25 x 40 hours x 52 weeks = $4,976,400.00
    237 employees x $10.10 x 40 hours x 52 weeks = $4,978,896.00

    That means that 28% of people earning minimum wage will lose their job.
    If 6,000,000 are earning minimum wage then 1,680,000 will lose their job. That's the logic. Don't get pissed at me though. This is just the logic with a simplistic example. There are billions and billions of factors to consider. Nobody has a crystal ball. Nobody can predict the impact of increasing the minimum wage. Consult your capitalistic religion or socialistic religion for the true answers.
    LOL So you are assuming that employees do nothing to make a business function and that companies employ workers purely out of the goodness of their hearts. When wages go up they run out of goodness and lay people off. What a bunch of hooey.

  9. #49
    Guru
    99percenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,076

    Re: How $10.10 an hour could get votes in November

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    Oh please, PLEASE run on the ban guns crap. Want to really see a blow out in Nov?
    Yeah i have no problem with dems blowing out republicans
    bears, bulls, white sox fan 4 life!!!

  10. #50
    He's the most tip top
    Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,301

    Re: How $10.10 an hour could get votes in November

    Quote Originally Posted by joG View Post
    That was what caused the Soviet to lose.

    Wow, so you liken Obama to a communist? Honestly, the chicken little mentality is, if nothing else, tiring. Haters gotta hate...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    You have no empirical evidence backing up your false assertion. You are simply conjecturing based on a whim...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    Or maybe "We now understand why women provoke men into hitting them".
    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    . Losing insurance does not mean losing healthcare. .

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •