Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213
Results 121 to 129 of 129

Thread: Dems seek to rally base over GOP's block of minimum wage bill

  1. #121
    Sage



    Jack Fabulous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    midwest
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    10,724
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Dems seek to rally base over GOP's block of minimum wage bill

    Quote Originally Posted by buck View Post
    Just because I am curious, can that be broken down even further? What percentage of that 3.6 millioin are just kids working through HS and college? What percentage are married to a spouse that makes a good living? What percentage are single parents?
    Here's a pretty good breakdown... Characteristics of Minimum Wage Workers: 2012

    A quick FYI, half of minimum wage workers are under 25 years old.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.

  2. #122
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: How $10.10 an hour could get votes in November

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    Yes, I'm telling you that in order to cover a dollar of additional cost, it takes more than a dollar of revenue.

    This concept is as fundamental as breath is to life. However, for some reason, I'm not surprised it's foreign to so many Liberal/Progressives.
    The liberal ignorance of business is staggering. An increase in cost of one dollar adds one dollar in expense and reduces profit by a dollar. An increase in one dollar in revenue generates somewhere between 8 cents and roughly 35 cents in profit to the company due to the costs of the products businesses have to buy. Liberals have no problem spending someone else's money.

  3. #123
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,812

    Re: Dems seek to rally base over GOP's block of minimum wage bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Fabulous View Post
    Here's a pretty good breakdown... Characteristics of Minimum Wage Workers: 2012

    A quick FYI, half of minimum wage workers are under 25 years old.
    TY. Tend to be young, tend to be never married and tend to work part time. Leads me to the conclusion that it's about what I assumed.

    Minimum wage workers tend to be young. Although workers under age 25 represented only about one-fifth of hourly paid workers, they made up about half of those paid the Federal minimum wage or less. Among employed teenagers paid by the hour, about 21 percent earned the minimum wage or less, compared with about 3 percent of workers age 25 and over.
    Never-married workers, who tend to be young, were more likely than married workers to earn the federal minimum wage or less (about 8 percent versus about 2 percent).
    About 11 percent of part-time workers (persons who usually work less than 35 hours per week) were paid the federal minimum wage or less, compared with about 2 percent of full-time workers.

  4. #124
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: How $10.10 an hour could get votes in November

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    The liberal ignorance of business is staggering. An increase in cost of one dollar adds one dollar in expense and reduces profit by a dollar. An increase in one dollar in revenue generates somewhere between 8 cents and roughly 35 cents in profit to the company due to the costs of the products businesses have to buy. Liberals have no problem spending someone else's money.
    Exactly!

    $1 dollar in additional cost could require $10 or more in additional revenue to cover it, just to stay even. A $3 per hour increase with 4 employees could take $4-500,000 in additional annual revenues to cover and perhaps even more.

    The lack of understanding is disturbing, but frankly is not surprising. It certainly explains why so many liberals are anti-business in their actions and attitudes.

    Compare how our two states are run, and what the results look like.

  5. #125
    Educator
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Arizona
    Last Seen
    10-02-17 @ 03:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    738

    Re: How $10.10 an hour could get votes in November

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    Yes, I'm telling you that in order to cover a dollar of additional cost, it takes more than a dollar of revenue.

    This concept is as fundamental as breath is to life. However, for some reason, I'm not surprised it's foreign to so many Liberal/Progressives.
    You might want to let these folks know, because they found that a 10% increases in US Minimum wage causes a 4% increase in food prices, and .4% increase overall. In other words it isn't one-for-one:
    http://www.le.ac.uk/economics/resear...con/dp06-9.pdf

  6. #126
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: How $10.10 an hour could get votes in November

    Quote Originally Posted by coyotedelmar View Post
    You might want to let these folks know, because they found that a 10% increases in US Minimum wage causes a 4% increase in food prices, and .4% increase overall. In other words it isn't one-for-one:
    http://www.le.ac.uk/economics/resear...con/dp06-9.pdf
    Well, in addition, you might also direct your thoughts to the other poster who thinks it is one for one.

  7. #127
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,830

    Re: Dems seek to rally base over GOP's block of minimum wage bill

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    The purpose of raising the federal min wage is to keep in line with inflation, not to make a living wage. I doubt inflation since 2009 is justified to the tune of $10.10 an hour though.
    It has been lagging inflation for decades. $10.10 is literally just bringing it back in line with inflation.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  8. #128
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,830

    Re: How $10.10 an hour could get votes in November

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    Exactly!

    $1 dollar in additional cost could require $10 or more in additional revenue to cover it, just to stay even. A $3 per hour increase with 4 employees could take $4-500,000 in additional annual revenues to cover and perhaps even more.

    The lack of understanding is disturbing, but frankly is not surprising. It certainly explains why so many liberals are anti-business in their actions and attitudes.

    Compare how our two states are run, and what the results look like.
    So, what you seem to believe is that a 10% increase in minimum wage requires a 100% increase in overall product revenue.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  9. #129
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: How $10.10 an hour could get votes in November

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    So, what you seem to believe is that a 10% increase in minimum wage requires a 100% increase in overall product revenue.
    LOL

    Nope, never wrote that. Keep digging, you're bound to find China some day.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •