Page 22 of 39 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 390

Thread: United Church of Christ sues over NC ban on same-sex marriage

  1. #211
    Guru
    WorldWatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,041

    Re: Religious Group Files a Lawsuit Against North Carolina's Gay Marriage Ban

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Married is married. The contracts would prove the one thing that anyone needs to verify; that the two people are married.

    Does that "contract", which one assumes you mean applies to different-sex and same-sex couples, provide the same recognition for rights, responsibilities, and benefits that currently apply to government recognition?



    >>>>

  2. #212
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,296

    Re: Religious Group Files a Lawsuit Against North Carolina's Gay Marriage Ban

    Quote Originally Posted by WorldWatcher View Post
    Does this "middle ground" you suggest change how government recognizes Civil Marriage or does it only change who produces the "Marriage Certificate" (government entity or private attorney)?

    In other words the 1,138 rights, responsibilities, and benefits (federal) and hundreds more in each State don't change. The only thing that changes is the initial license/certificate, right?


    **************************************

    If it does change accesses to rights, responsibilities, and benefits - no one will buy into it.

    If it doesn't change anything, then why make people spend hundreds more to get the same thing a $35-$50 fee does?



    >>>>
    Fine, abolish marriage licenses altogether.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  3. #213
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,296

    Re: Religious Group Files a Lawsuit Against North Carolina's Gay Marriage Ban

    Quote Originally Posted by WorldWatcher View Post
    Does that "contract", which one assumes you mean applies to different-sex and same-sex couples, provide the same recognition for rights, responsibilities, and benefits that currently apply to government recognition?



    >>>>
    Of course, thats part of the objective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  4. #214
    Sage
    mak2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Last Seen
    07-08-16 @ 01:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,050

    Re: Religious Group Files a Lawsuit Against North Carolina's Gay Marriage Ban

    Would she still get the house?
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Fine, abolish marriage licenses altogether.
    God Bless the Marine Corps.

  5. #215
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Religious Group Files a Lawsuit Against North Carolina's Gay Marriage Ban

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Again the compare the costs of doing this. Marriage for heterosexual couples - automatic benefits $50 marriage license. Benefits for SS couples lawyers, fees, papers drawn up for individual items, - thousands of dollars.

    No, what's going to happen is SSM will be legalized and opponents will end up dealing with it like they had to with interracial marriage. No I'm directly comparing the two, only the results where the idiots had to deal with it.
    I never argued that anyone should be legally married, so the cost of whatever they wanted would cost whatever the market rate was for it.

  6. #216
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Religious Group Files a Lawsuit Against North Carolina's Gay Marriage Ban

    Quote Originally Posted by mak2 View Post
    Would she still get the house?
    That would be an issue involving the house.

  7. #217
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,953

    Re: Religious Group Files a Lawsuit Against North Carolina's Gay Marriage Ban

    The church should be able to perform SSM ceremonies, but the fact that their religion supports it doesn't mean the government should. If people don't want religion defining marriage then you have to have it both ways with it being left up to the people, not having a bias where religion is allowed to dictate government policy and recognition when it happens to be convenient for your views.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  8. #218
    Guru
    WorldWatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,041

    Re: Religious Group Files a Lawsuit Against North Carolina's Gay Marriage Ban

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by WorldWatcher View Post
    Does that "contract", which one assumes you mean applies to different-sex and same-sex couples, provide the same recognition for rights, responsibilities, and benefits that currently apply to government recognition?



    >>>>
    Of course, thats part of the objective.

    So if the rights, responsibilities, and benefits of Civil Marriage are not going to change and this "contract" issued (at greater expense) will be recognized the same as the government issues $35-$50 Civil Marriage Certificate...


    .................... Then the reason for such a change makes no sense. We aren't changing what the impact of what Civil Marriage is, we are only changing who issues the piece of paper.



    >>>>

  9. #219
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,296

    Re: Religious Group Files a Lawsuit Against North Carolina's Gay Marriage Ban

    Quote Originally Posted by mak2 View Post
    Would she still get the house?
    Is her name on the note?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  10. #220
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,320

    Re: Religious Group Files a Lawsuit Against North Carolina's Gay Marriage Ban

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    The church should be able to perform SSM ceremonies, but the fact that their religion supports it doesn't mean the government should. If people don't want religion defining marriage then you have to have it both ways with it being left up to the people, not having a bias where religion is allowed to dictate government policy and recognition when it happens to be convenient for your views.
    It's not about convenience. It's about allowing religious freedom when it doesn't harm others.

    Do try to grasp the actual distinction and leave the strawman at the door.

Page 22 of 39 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •