Page 43 of 57 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast
Results 421 to 430 of 566

Thread: Clippers Owner Donald Sterling Fined $2.5M and Banned for Life by NBA[W:545]

  1. #421
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Clippers Owner Donald Sterling Fined $2.5M and Banned for Life by NBA

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Planar View Post
    Everybody better start being careful what they say in private.

    The Nazi thought police are in full force, enforcing political correctness of thought and private conversation...
    What happened to him isn't right because it was illegal surveillance, but because he is a public figure with a franchise he does have to be careful. I'm not a big fan of the PC movement and the "destroy the view that offends us" mentality but right now it is prevalent. The guy is a jerk, he had a right to say it, and the league has a right to protect itself.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  2. #422
    He's the most tip top
    Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,279

    Re: Clippers Owner Donald Sterling Fined $2.5M and Banned for Life by NBA

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Planar View Post
    One settled
    2.5 million dollars...yeah he was innocent all right
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    You have no empirical evidence backing up your false assertion. You are simply conjecturing based on a whim...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    Or maybe "We now understand why women provoke men into hitting them".
    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    . Losing insurance does not mean losing healthcare. .

  3. #423
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,019

    Re: Clippers Owner Donald Sterling Fined $2.5M and Banned for Life by NBA

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    It absolutely is. However, the NBA is not a court of law.

    This ban, as much as I disagree with it (I think a firm suspension was in order, but not a lifetime ban), was a lifetime achievement award. Sterling has had this coming for a long time.

    Was the evidence illegally obtained? More than likely, yes. Does that matter when it's a private entity exacting punishment on someone who voluntarily accepted its rules? I don't think it does.
    If person X sends illegally obtained information to a someone else's boss in order to damage their reputation, it ABSOLUTELY makes a difference. There was no crime committed here. There was no violation of anyone's rights. This was an opinion given in private. That it merits a 2.5 million dollar sanction and lifetime ban is obscene.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  4. #424
    Sage
    Lord of Planar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Portlandia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,221

    Re: Clippers Owner Donald Sterling Fined $2.5M and Banned for Life by NBA

    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    2.5 million dollars...yeah he was innocent all right
    I see what I said completely went over your heard. I guess I need to spell it out.

    Do the math. How much do you think this guys time is worth? How many days or weeks would he have been tied up in court?

    Let me ask you this to put things in perspective. If you had the choice of being tied up in court for 1 to 4 weeks, or paying 0.25% or less of your net worth, which would you do?

    If your net worth is $400,000, then would you pay $1,000 to keep from having to waste time in court?

  5. #425
    He's the most tip top
    Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,279

    Re: Clippers Owner Donald Sterling Fined $2.5M and Banned for Life by NBA

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Planar View Post
    I see what I said completely went over your heard. I guess I need to spell it out.
    Oh please. He has attorneys to handle this ****. No way he settles for 2.5 million unless he was exposed. Like I said, you're on an island.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    You have no empirical evidence backing up your false assertion. You are simply conjecturing based on a whim...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    Or maybe "We now understand why women provoke men into hitting them".
    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    . Losing insurance does not mean losing healthcare. .

  6. #426
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,470

    Re: Clippers Owner Donald Sterling Fined $2.5M and Banned for Life by NBA

    Mark Cuban said it was a slippery slope too. I think the problem was that the players were talking about not playing and companies were pulling out of sponsoring and ads. The NBA wanted to protect it's own brand, and they didn't want to face an overall **** storm. It was about money. The Clipper fans and players shouldn't have to pay a financial price. I think it's fair they punished the owner and put the blame squarely on him. The NBA and Clippers have no reason to fear boycotting now.


    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    Fairly predictable.

    Remind me to never tell off a girlfriend who is literally half my age over a smart phone with a recorder. Wow.

    Remember when Isaiah Thomas said if Larry Bird was black, he'd be just another good player? Would that get him banned now, too? Does this apply to players for anything they say, too?

    Slippery slope, but here we are.

  7. #427
    Sage
    Lord of Planar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Portlandia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,221

    Re: Clippers Owner Donald Sterling Fined $2.5M and Banned for Life by NBA

    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Oh please. He has attorneys to handle this ****. No way he settles for 2.5 million unless he was exposed. Like I said, you're on an island.
    LOL...

    I live in the real world, and I would pay $1,000 in a settlement, in a heartbeat, if it meant not going to court for two days. The nature of that lawsuit would have likely been several weeks.

    Yep. This type of logic is over your head.

  8. #428
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,470

    Re: Clippers Owner Donald Sterling Fined $2.5M and Banned for Life by NBA

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius46 View Post
    He owns them but it seems his ownership is subject to the provisions of the NBA constitution.

    It's harsh but from the press conference I just saw it's naturally all about money. Seems lots of sponsors pulled their support because of Sterling's statements. They probably needed to have someone tossed under the bus.
    Yeah, well, you'd think the guy would have learned to respect black people since they played on his team, made him so much money, and to my knowledge, they didn't do anything to him personally. The guy was not only a bigot, he was a flaming idiot. His own team and the rest of the NBA had every right to pissed off at the guy. I wouldn't want to play on a team for a guy that thought I scum because of the color of my skin.

  9. #429
    He's the most tip top
    Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,279

    Re: Clippers Owner Donald Sterling Fined $2.5M and Banned for Life by NBA

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Planar View Post
    LOL...

    I live in the real world, and I would pay $1,000 in a settlement, in a heartbeat, if it meant not going to court for two days. The nature of that lawsuit would have likely been several weeks.

    Yep. This type of logic is over your head.

    You just keep singing that tune...

    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    You have no empirical evidence backing up your false assertion. You are simply conjecturing based on a whim...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    Or maybe "We now understand why women provoke men into hitting them".
    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    . Losing insurance does not mean losing healthcare. .

  10. #430
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,470

    Re: Clippers Owner Donald Sterling Fined $2.5M and Banned for Life by NBA

    Quote Originally Posted by mak2 View Post
    She is just not very good looking either.
    Most gold diggers look like they get plastic surgery. I am not sure why gold diggers can't be happy without it...

Page 43 of 57 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •