Page 39 of 57 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast
Results 381 to 390 of 566

Thread: Clippers Owner Donald Sterling Fined $2.5M and Banned for Life by NBA[W:545]

  1. #381
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,483

    Re: Clippers Owner Donald Sterling Fined $2.5M and Banned for Life by NBA

    Again we don't know why this man said this to his girlfriend yet. I would like to hear what he meant by what he said.

    Maybe the girlfriend had money on the opposing team in the playoffs and this was her way of guaranteeing she would win. It was a pretty effective strategy.

    How are the Clippers going to concentrate on Basketball any time soon?

  2. #382
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Clippers Owner Donald Sterling Fined $2.5M and Banned for Life by NBA

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    I still have yet to see anyone explain why Sterling is banned from any NBA facility and yet Spike Lee is welcomed by the NBA at Knicks games and frequently interviewed on the NBA network and other on air sites.

    Is it simply that black racists in America are a protected class?
    To be perfectly frank and honest...

    Basketball has a huge black audience and ALL OF THIS IS PUBLIC RELATIONS DRIVEN

    But I fail to see anything wrong with it from a business perspective. They are simply trying to retain sales.

  3. #383
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,275

    Re: Clippers Owner Donald Sterling Fined $2.5M and Banned for Life by NBA

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    Well said, imo.

    What Sterling did was pathetic and moronic but legal...what Vick did was cruel, violent and disgusting...oh, and illegal.

    One gets a lifetime ban...the other; within 2 years (and jail time) he is back in the NFL.


    BTW, the fact that this guy was racist was common knowledge before this:

    'In August 2006, the U.S. Department of Justice sued Sterling for housing discrimination in using race as a factor in filling some of his apartment buildings. The suit charged that Sterling refused to rent to non-Koreans in the Koreatown neighborhood and to African Americans in Beverly Hills.[29] The suit alleges Sterling once said he did not like to rent to Hispanics because they "smoke, drink and just hang around the building," and that "Black tenants smell and attract vermin."[29] In November 2009, ESPN reported that Sterling agreed to pay a fine of $2.73 million to settle claims brought by the Justice Department and Davin Day of Newport Beach that he engaged in discriminatory rental practices against Hispanics, blacks, and families with children.[30] In addition, Sterling was also ordered to pay attorneys' fees and costs in that action of $4,923,554.75. In granting the attorney's fees and costs Judge Dale S. Fischer noted "Sterling's' scorched earth' litigation tactics, some of which are described by the Plaintiffs' counsel and some of which were observed by the Court. The Court has no difficulty accepting Plaintiffs' counsel's representations that the time required to be spent on this case was increased by defendant's counsel's often unacceptable, and sometimes outrageous conduct."'

    Donald Sterling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Yup, and his players and fellow owners, who are all up in arms now about what he said to his girlfriend, turned a blind eye to that for years. They are all hypocrites who played into the theater.

    Michael Vick....now there is an asshole who I hate. HATE. The Jets picked him up. I hope they never win another ****ing game as long as they live.

    You know how many people jumped to Vick's defense? Even President Obama called the owners of the Eagles and praised him for signing Vick, and giving King Dog Killer a second chance. I wonder why he didn't ask Silver to give Sterling a second chance?

  4. #384
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,212

    Re: Clippers Owner Donald Sterling Fined $2.5M and Banned for Life by NBA

    Quote Originally Posted by tacomancer View Post
    To be perfectly frank and honest...

    Basketball has a huge black audience and ALL OF THIS IS PUBLIC RELATIONS DRIVEN
    Well, from my perspective, it's simply media ginned up fake outrage and nobody in the media has the balls to take on black racists for fear of having their facilities burned down. It's no different from the media handling of Muslim extremists.

    Nothing easier for the media than to tackle an old white person with unpopular personal views - the "celebrity" graveyards are full of such victims.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  5. #385
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Clippers Owner Donald Sterling Fined $2.5M and Banned for Life by NBA

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Well, from my perspective, it's simply media ginned up fake outrage and nobody in the media has the balls to take on black racists for fear of having their facilities burned down. It's no different from the media handling of Muslim extremists.

    Nothing easier for the media than to tackle an old white person with unpopular personal views - the "celebrity" graveyards are full of such victims.
    Welcome to society. News got sensationalized with the advent of CNN and now we ended up with trash like Fox News and MSNBC.

    Pretty white girls tend to make the news when they go missing, but ugly dudes? It's pretty rare.

    People tend to just generally suck when it comes to this stuff

  6. #386
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Clippers Owner Donald Sterling Fined $2.5M and Banned for Life by NBA

    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Judging from the types of things you say here that would be wise.
    Public schools and colleges get in an uproar when students record the lecture of one of their classes all the time and it is precisely because they could land in deep trouble if something is taken out of context or they say something that a parent might take offense to. It's not because they don't want to be recorded, but that they don't want to deal with anything because of something they said that more than likely people are too stupid to understand or honest enough to take in the proper context.
    Last edited by Henrin; 04-30-14 at 12:52 PM.

  7. #387
    He's the most tip top
    Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,311

    Re: Clippers Owner Donald Sterling Fined $2.5M and Banned for Life by NBA

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    That's a really good read.
    Yeah, but I disagree with this contention.

    It is safe to say that Sterling's comments, which elicited the rebuke of President Barack Obama, have deeply harmed the NBA and its relationship with players, sponsors and fans.
    Sponsors yes, fans and players no.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    You have no empirical evidence backing up your false assertion. You are simply conjecturing based on a whim...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    Or maybe "We now understand why women provoke men into hitting them".
    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    . Losing insurance does not mean losing healthcare. .

  8. #388
    He's the most tip top
    Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,311

    Re: Clippers Owner Donald Sterling Fined $2.5M and Banned for Life by NBA

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Public schools and colleges get in an uproar when students record the lecture of one of their classes all the time and precisely because they could land in deep trouble if something is taken out of context or they say something that a parent might take offense to. It's not because they don't want to be recorded, but that they don't want to deal with anything because of something they said that more than likely people are too stupid to understand or honest enough to take in the proper context.
    I think you missed the point professor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    You have no empirical evidence backing up your false assertion. You are simply conjecturing based on a whim...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    Or maybe "We now understand why women provoke men into hitting them".
    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    . Losing insurance does not mean losing healthcare. .

  9. #389
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    42,919

    Re: Clippers Owner Donald Sterling Fined $2.5M and Banned for Life by NBA

    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Sponsors yes, fans and players no.
    Fans, maybe not.

    Players, definitely.
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  10. #390
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Clippers Owner Donald Sterling Fined $2.5M and Banned for Life by NBA

    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    I think you missed the point professor.
    No, I got your point, and if you paid attention you might of noticed I was talking about you in the last line.

Page 39 of 57 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •