Page 37 of 57 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast
Results 361 to 370 of 566

Thread: Clippers Owner Donald Sterling Fined $2.5M and Banned for Life by NBA[W:545]

  1. #361
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Clippers Owner Donald Sterling Fined $2.5M and Banned for Life by NBA

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    ARe you sure it was DeShawn and not LeShawn or KeyShawn or ReShawn or TeShawn instead?
    Nope, it was DeShawn. The NBA loved him. The fact that he raped a 14 year old wasn't important. It's much more important to focus on who some guy wants his mistress to take selfies with.

  2. #362
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Clippers Owner Donald Sterling Fined $2.5M and Banned for Life by NBA

    Quote Originally Posted by PirateMk1 View Post
    You think he's pissed and going to fight back then?
    I do. He apparently hasn't said one word publicly about all this. He's a former lawyer and loves to sue people. The speculation is that he's been hunkered down with his lawyers coming up with a plan of attack. Time will tell, I guess.

  3. #363
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    01-15-15 @ 03:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,578

    Re: Clippers Owner Donald Sterling Fined $2.5M and Banned for Life by NBA

    Quote Originally Posted by JRSaindo View Post
    You just don't get it, but whatever. Not worth arguing about since you don't mind having your personal liberties attacked. The recording should be thrown out and inadmissable.
    Where would this recording be inadmissable? Where? IN public opinion? What you don't get it that his civil liberties are intact. He can still be a racist and he can still say those things, and he may have an action against this girl. But the bottom line is the NBA has the right and the responsibility to its brand to do something about it.

    There is no court system acting here, there is no government involved. If he challenges the NBA in court then we can talk about the law, but the tape would still be part of the evidence because the question would be whether the franchise agreement does in fact allow the NBA to do this.

  4. #364
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Clippers Owner Donald Sterling Fined $2.5M and Banned for Life by NBA

    Quote Originally Posted by soccerboy22 View Post
    Well with a new Commissioner comes new punishments. I doubt Lowry, Kidd, or Iverson would get the same treatment by Silver as they did by previous commissioners based on how Silver has come out on issues since he got the job in February. Second, I agree with you that this issue of his in total is not that big of a deal, especially compared to what happened with his discrimination law suits. However, the issue has gotten that big, not of a fault of Silver or the League, and it had to be addressed harshly. Owners refuse to even deal with Sterling (causes the League issues), the Player Association actively boycotts the playoffs (causes the League issues), sponsor pull from the team (another League issue), former and current players boycotting (causes the League issues). Really the only team that benefits from this is the Pacers because no one cares about their collapse. However, these are legitimate problems for the League right now, and it is within Silver's right to take action. Since Sterling still owns the team (although that is now in question depending on how the Board votes) a lawsuit would really only lower his ban to a suspension because he really is not losing anything of monetary value. I also don't think the League would have a very hard case either because there are legitimate issues for the League right now.

    I am hoping that Sterling sells the team and then Silver just makes all the bans temporary. But if 75% of the Board votes to revoke Sterling's ownership, which is allowed in the NBA Constitution, then it could make Sterling's case harder. What it will do is make Sterling's case against his girlfriend easier.
    Your signature line disturbs me.

  5. #365
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Clippers Owner Donald Sterling Fined $2.5M and Banned for Life by NBA

    Quote Originally Posted by Jango View Post
    Bill Clinton and Jesse Jackson said disparaging racial things about President Obama and they weren't fined millions of dollars or banned for life from anything. Snoop Dogg, in his tirade against Donald Sterling, called him 'redneck' and 'white-bred'. Where is the outrage, calls for a boycott, fines and ban for life for his racial comments?
    Jesse Jackson proudly admitted in 1969 to spitting in white peoples' food when he was a waiter. It gave him a "a psychological gratification". Right after he admitted that, I remember the backlash against him, and how the black and white Democrats distanced himself from them because his words (public words) were so disturbing that they wanted to make sure everyone knew that they stood in protest against such obvious racism, which by the way also could have been potentially dangerous to the recipients of said spit.

    Oh wait.....

  6. #366
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Clippers Owner Donald Sterling Fined $2.5M and Banned for Life by NBA

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    So let me get this straight...

    He made PRIVATE remarks to his GF... she recorded them, perhaps illegally... she later released the tape probably in anger... and his private remarks (apparently never meant to be public) are the basis of a lifetime ban from the NBA?

    Now someone tell me again what was done to Micheal Vick?
    Yup, that's about the size of it.

    Let that be a lesson to you. You are not allowed to tell your significant other in private who you want her to take selfies of yourself with, unless you want to be prepared for a national outrage because you don't love everyone.

  7. #367
    Sage

    vesper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,903

    Re: Clippers Owner Donald Sterling Fined $2.5M and Banned for Life by NBA

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    Sterling's more than welcome to fight back, but the NBA's got some pretty good lawyers and I doubt Silver would have done this if he wasn't pretty damn confident he could legally.
    Well here is the rub. If Silver is going to make Sterling the example that racism will not be tolerated in the NBA then he better call for another press conference today and call for the removal of the New York Knicks Vice President Larry Johnson, who happens to be black and stated via twitter that there should be a “black only league” for basketball and for his previous public remarks for referring to players as "rebellious slaves". How are Sterling's private statements worse than Johnson's public statements? They aren't. The difference is one is a white man the other is a black man. One was a private conversation and the remarks by the black man were public statements that were tolerated. The white man gets hammered the black man gets a pass. On that basis alone it shows unequal treatment of members of the same franchise.

  8. #368
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    42,917

    Re: Clippers Owner Donald Sterling Fined $2.5M and Banned for Life by NBA

    Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    Well here is the rub. If Silver is going to make Sterling the example that racism will not be tolerated in the NBA then he better call for another press conference today and call for the removal of the New York Knicks Vice President Larry Johnson, who happens to be black and stated via twitter that there should be a “black only league” for basketball and for his previous public remarks for referring to players as "rebellious slaves". How are Sterling's private statements worse than Johnson's public statements? They aren't. The difference is one is a white man the other is a black man. One was a private conversation and the one by the black man were public statements that were tolerated. The white man gets hammered the black man gets a pass. On that basis alone it shows unequal treatment of members of the same franchise.
    1. I have a very strong hunch that Larry Johnson's pass ain't gonna last too long. Also, calling him a VP is a tad off ... he's not the heir apparent if James Dolan gets shot. It's a vanity title. But I do think Johnson's comments (rightfully) are going to be dealt with.

    2. Sterling's statements are the tip of the iceberg. As I've stated earlier, the heavy penalty was a lifetime achievement award for Sterling being 30 Years A Dickhead.
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  9. #369
    Mildly Hostile
    505's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    11-20-17 @ 03:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,363

    Re: Clippers Owner Donald Sterling Fined $2.5M and Banned for Life by NBA

    Quote Originally Posted by Sababa View Post
    But you would be wrong. The NBA had already seen criticism over Sterling.
    Criticism? Big deal. Did any sponsors drop the league itself? Nope. Did attendance at a single game (Clippers included) drop? Nope. The league would have been just fine with the suspension and the maximum fine. But nooooooo, let's strip the guy of his business too. No place in this world for somebody with different views anymore.

    Fine but being upset about reality happens all the time.
    Sure does. The liberal intolerant agenda being promoted everywhere is making it more and more frequent too.

    But that is exactly how it works. If you say something that a vast majority of the society you are in thinks is offensive you will be functionally exiled.
    In liberal land it does. You see, I have this crazy idea that even though I don't agree with somebody, I can still TOLERATE them as long as they aren't a) directly harming me, or b) breaking the law. Beyond that, in my opinion, you can do or think or talk or feel whatever you want. THAT is a FREE country in my book. I don't like this BS "everyone must do exactly like me" groupthink mentality that seems to be taking over this country.

    Except it clearly is.
    Why? It's not even any of your business who Donald Sterling's girlfriend brings to games. It literally affects NOBODY. Not a big deal in the slightest. Now had he got on twitter or something and said that only whites are allowed in the stadium for the playoffs or something?... oh yeah he's got to go right now because that actually DOES affect others.

    Yes and the NBA failed to address that part and they were called out on it. Go back and read some writers in 2003, 2006 etc. This pushed the NBA to act.
    Wrong. Silver specifically addressed that in his presser and said that it was these events ALONE that led to this. He clearly said that the past issues did not play any part whatsoever in his ruling.

    Actually racism hurts all of us, regardless of race, because if we allow it to go unchallenged we let it grow.
    Nowhere am I saying to let it go unchallenged. Again, I agree with the fine and suspension. I merely disagree with taking a person's business away over such a stupid situation.
    Disclaimer: If you are offended by the above post, and you aren't a SJW or truther, grow a pair.

  10. #370
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    42,917

    Re: Clippers Owner Donald Sterling Fined $2.5M and Banned for Life by NBA

    Quote Originally Posted by Jango View Post
    Bill Clinton and Jesse Jackson said disparaging racial things about President Obama and they weren't fined millions of dollars or banned for life from anything. Snoop Dogg, in his tirade against Donald Sterling, called him 'redneck' and 'white-bred'. Where is the outrage, calls for a boycott, fines and ban for life for his racial comments?
    How does the NBA ban Snoop Dogg?

    Bill Clinton and Jesse Jackson weren't fined because there was nobody to fine them, either via existence or inclination. The fine, and suspension, were the decision of the NBA. Not the government, not you, not me, not Jesse Jackson, not Al Sharpton.

    It was a business decision. Just like the Mozilla guy, just like the Duck Dynasty guy, just like Paula Deen, Alec Baldwin, Martin Bashir. **** with the brand, the brand ****s you.
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

Page 37 of 57 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •