Page 36 of 57 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast
Results 351 to 360 of 566

Thread: Clippers Owner Donald Sterling Fined $2.5M and Banned for Life by NBA[W:545]

  1. #351
    Relentless Thinking Fury
    ChezC3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,123

    Re: Clippers Owner Donald Sterling Fined $2.5M and Banned for Life by NBA

    Quote Originally Posted by Sababa View Post
    Again your attack on woman is simply a deflection. Yes she is not a hero...in fact it might be a crime. (not certain as it appears there were others present) but the bottom line is that you have consequences where ever you are. If you express something for someone else to hear it and they repeat it to others then there will be consequences. Even in your own home. Once you share your point of view, to however small a group, it is out there. She may not have had a legal right to record it, but that is not relevant to the fact that we know what he said. Just because he thought it was private doesn't change that, in fact it makes it worse as it suggests his public persona is a ruse.

    My attack on the woman isn't a deflection I've hit you straight on. My attack on the woman is in addition to the fact because she deserves as much scorn, ridicule, and vitriol as we can muster, just as much as we should have for the racist THAT EVERYONE KNEW WAS RACIST.

    The bottom line is you have a reasonable expectation of privacy in your own home. This ridiculous notion that you should "suffer consequences" in the original context of your post and my retort when someone violates your trust and privacy is beyond the pale of normal idiocy the left displays.

    Almost everyone has a public persona, EVERYONE. I giggle, giggle I tell you at the holier than thou, my god I'd never say such a thing, I' d never even think it BS you're trying to pass off here, pull that self righteous bus over to the side of the pretentious turnpike would ya?

    She didn't have a legal right to record it so far as I know and the ramifications for this are simply ridiculous. Gonna take away someone's property, someone's livelihood over a prejudiced comment said in the privacy of their own home? GOOD GOD are you serious?

  2. #352
    Mildly Hostile
    505's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    11-20-17 @ 03:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,363

    Re: Clippers Owner Donald Sterling Fined $2.5M and Banned for Life by NBA

    Quote Originally Posted by Sababa View Post
    You are free to pull your advertising from any of those people, boycott any products they promote and condemn them publicly.
    That's exactly the way this Sterling situation should be played. Let the fans boycott the games / not buy merchandise, let the players leave / not sign / not resign, and let him run his franchise into the ground if that's how he really wants to play it. Forcing him out by majority competitor vote like they are planning is just wrong.
    Disclaimer: If you are offended by the above post, and you aren't a SJW or truther, grow a pair.

  3. #353
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    01-15-15 @ 03:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,578

    Re: Clippers Owner Donald Sterling Fined $2.5M and Banned for Life by NBA

    Quote Originally Posted by 505 View Post
    That's exactly the way this Sterling situation should be played. Let the fans boycott the games / not buy merchandise, let the players leave / not sign / not resign, and let him run his franchise into the ground if that's how he really wants to play it. Forcing him out by majority competitor vote like they are planning is just wrong.
    Nope there is a business agreement that covers this kind of stuff because you are an owner of a franchise at the pleasure of the NBA and they can sanction him. They did. Was it harsh? Maybe, it sets a nuclear standard. We already saw advertisers jumping ship and there was talk of players boycotting and that would her the NBA brand in a big way so the NBA made a business decision, based on societal pressure.

  4. #354
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Last Seen
    10-02-17 @ 04:49 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    521

    Re: Clippers Owner Donald Sterling Fined $2.5M and Banned for Life by NBA

    Quote Originally Posted by Sababa View Post
    Again your attack on woman is simply a deflection. Yes she is not a hero...in fact it might be a crime. (not certain as it appears there were others present) but the bottom line is that you have consequences where ever you are. If you express something for someone else to hear it and they repeat it to others then there will be consequences. Even in your own home. Once you share your point of view, to however small a group, it is out there. She may not have had a legal right to record it, but that is not relevant to the fact that we know what he said. Just because he thought it was private doesn't change that, in fact it makes it worse as it suggests his public persona is a ruse.
    So say someone you know comes up to you and says "I've been secretly recording our conversations for a couple months and I want $10,000 or I will release the stuff you don't want out there". What would your first reaction be? "I'm a saint and have nothing to hide!" or "Holy crap, what did I say in the last couple months"? Everyone has their skeletons. This isn't about what was said, but the privacy issue. Think about the big picture, not just what some biggoted racist idiot said.

    So now anything anyone says in their own private conversations is up for scrutiny? Where do you draw the line? This just opens up pandora's box much like we have with the language police. Don't say N*** unless you happen to be black. Don't make fun of Jews unless you are a jew. Its ridiculously laughable at this point. We can't even have real conversations anymore without saying something that will offend someone. Context doesn't matter anymore to many people.
    Last edited by JRSaindo; 04-30-14 at 09:20 AM.

  5. #355
    Mildly Hostile
    505's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    11-20-17 @ 03:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,363

    Re: Clippers Owner Donald Sterling Fined $2.5M and Banned for Life by NBA

    Quote Originally Posted by Sababa View Post
    Nope there is a business agreement that covers this kind of stuff because you are an owner of a franchise at the pleasure of the NBA and they can sanction him. They did. Was it harsh? Maybe, it sets a nuclear standard. We already saw advertisers jumping ship and there was talk of players boycotting and that would her the NBA brand in a big way
    Which is arguable. Hurt the Clippers franchise? Absolutely. Hurt the entire league? I doubt it.

    so the NBA made a business decision, based on societal pressure.
    Which is exactly what I don't like about this. A bunch of babies crying that somebody saying "don't go to my games with black dudes" somehow hurts their feelings SO much, and the guy is now going to lose his business. Grow a pair America, it's not that big of a deal. The guy has been a POS racist slumlord and a crappy owner for decades. It didn't seem to hurt a single one of the people that are now all up in arms over his stupid recent comments.
    Disclaimer: If you are offended by the above post, and you aren't a SJW or truther, grow a pair.

  6. #356
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    01-15-15 @ 03:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,578

    Re: Clippers Owner Donald Sterling Fined $2.5M and Banned for Life by NBA

    Quote Originally Posted by JRSaindo View Post
    So say someone you know comes up to you and says "I've been secretly recording our conversations for a couple months and I want $10,000 or I will release the stuff you don't want out there". What would your first reaction be? "I'm a saint and have nothing to hide!" or "Holy crap, what did I say in the last couple months"? Everyone has their skeletons. This isn't about what was said, but the privacy issue. Think about the big picture, not some biggoted racist idiot.
    That would be blackmail and a crime and I would have to live up to my words. Fact is the way we learned about this is not relevant to the fact we did. Unless you say something to clergy, therapist or lawyer the idea of privacy is already compromised. This is about responsibility for your words. Saying something over the phone is even less private as you have no idea who is listening on the other end.

  7. #357
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Last Seen
    10-02-17 @ 04:49 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    521

    Re: Clippers Owner Donald Sterling Fined $2.5M and Banned for Life by NBA

    Quote Originally Posted by Sababa View Post
    That would be blackmail and a crime and I would have to live up to my words. Fact is the way we learned about this is not relevant to the fact we did. Unless you say something to clergy, therapist or lawyer the idea of privacy is already compromised. This is about responsibility for your words. Saying something over the phone is even less private as you have no idea who is listening on the other end.
    You just don't get it, but whatever. Not worth arguing about since you don't mind having your personal liberties attacked. The recording should be thrown out and inadmissable.

  8. #358
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 06:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,951

    Re: Clippers Owner Donald Sterling Fined $2.5M and Banned for Life by NBA

    Quote Originally Posted by 505 View Post
    Which is arguable. Hurt the Clippers franchise? Absolutely. Hurt the entire league? I doubt it.



    Which is exactly what I don't like about this. A bunch of babies crying that somebody saying "don't go to my games with black dudes" somehow hurts their feelings SO much, and the guy is now going to lose his business. Grow a pair America, it's not that big of a deal. The guy has been a POS racist slumlord and a crappy owner for decades. It didn't seem to hurt a single one of the people that are now all up in arms over his stupid recent comments.
    Very good.

  9. #359
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 06:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,951

    Re: Clippers Owner Donald Sterling Fined $2.5M and Banned for Life by NBA

    Quote Originally Posted by Jango View Post
    Bill Clinton and Jesse Jackson said disparaging racial things about President Obama and they weren't fined millions of dollars or banned for life from anything. Snoop Dogg, in his tirade against Donald Sterling, called him 'redneck' and 'white-bred'. Where is the outrage, calls for a boycott, fines and ban for life for his racial comments?
    It's okay to call white people from the south names apparently. Even in public.

  10. #360
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    01-15-15 @ 03:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,578

    Re: Clippers Owner Donald Sterling Fined $2.5M and Banned for Life by NBA

    Quote Originally Posted by 505 View Post
    Which is arguable. Hurt the Clippers franchise? Absolutely. Hurt the entire league? I doubt it.
    But you would be wrong. The NBA had already seen criticism over Sterling.



    Which is exactly what I don't like about this.
    Fine but being upset about reality happens all the time.

    A bunch of babies crying that somebody saying "don't go to my games with black dudes" somehow hurts their feelings SO much, and the guy is now going to lose his business.
    But that is exactly how it works. If you say something that a vast majority of the society you are in thinks is offensive you will be functionally exiled.


    Grow a pair America, it's not that big of a deal.
    Except it clearly is.

    The guy has been a POS racist slumlord and a crappy owner for decades.
    Yes and the NBA failed to address that part and they were called out on it. Go back and read some writers in 2003, 2006 etc. This pushed the NBA to act.

    It didn't seem to hurt a single one of the people that are now all up in arms over his stupid recent comments.
    Actually racism hurts all of us, regardless of race, because if we allow it to go unchallenged we let it grow.

Page 36 of 57 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •