Page 29 of 57 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast
Results 281 to 290 of 566

Thread: Clippers Owner Donald Sterling Fined $2.5M and Banned for Life by NBA[W:545]

  1. #281
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    42,876

    Re: Clippers Owner Donald Sterling Fined $2.5M and Banned for Life by NBA

    Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    I don't think so. His property rights have been violated while using an illegal form of wiretapping in the state of California as a means to build the case to do so. If this **** is allowed to continue you or I might be the next victim down the road for whatever.
    Wrong again. The NBA does not have to adhere to the same burden of proof as the state. They are a private entity and they can do what they want within the confines of their mutually agreed-upon bylaws. "Rights" do not enter the equation at all.

    We might be the next victim to be ... banned for life from the NBA? Well, I can't shoot a lick anymore, so I guess that's the punishment I'll have to accept.
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  2. #282
    Resident Martian ;)
    PirateMk1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    9,922

    Re: Clippers Owner Donald Sterling Fined $2.5M and Banned for Life by NBA

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    It's pretty obvious to me that the harshness of this penalty against Sterling is not just based on this most recent incident. Call it a lifetime achievement award. Sterling was handled with kid gloves by David Stern for 30 years, and many people turned a blind eye toward or rationalized his many incidents of discriminatory behavior. And I have no doubt that Silver was in contact with Stern, his mentor, over this issue, and I'd be willing to bet Stern told Silver to throw the book at him.
    He better be ready to duck because the book might come flying back at him if Sterling fights. He seems to be the type that would fight by his history.
    Semper Fidelis, Semper Liber.
    I spit at lots of people through my computer screen. Not only does it "teach them a lesson" but it keeps the screen clean and shiny.
    Stolen fair and square from the Capt. Courtesey himself.

  3. #283
    Sage

    vesper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,850

    Re: Clippers Owner Donald Sterling Fined $2.5M and Banned for Life by NBA

    Quote Originally Posted by beefheart View Post
    He is part of a large corporation, he has to live by the rules of that corporation. The NBA saw the risk in having one of its people in a high visibility role, so they did what they had to. Business decision, capitalism. Are you anti business and anti capitalist?
    I believe in fairness for all. Capitalism has nothing to do with this. I believe the man's property rights have been violated due to a corporation or a select group of people who passed judgment on information obtained by an illegal wire tap according to California laws.

  4. #284
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,182

    Re: Clippers Owner Donald Sterling Fined $2.5M and Banned for Life by NBA

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    It's pretty obvious to me that the harshness of this penalty against Sterling is not just based on this most recent incident. Call it a lifetime achievement award. Sterling was handled with kid gloves by David Stern for 30 years, and many people turned a blind eye toward or rationalized his many incidents of discriminatory behavior. And I have no doubt that Silver was in contact with Stern, his mentor, over this issue, and I'd be willing to bet Stern told Silver to throw the book at him.
    Well, if Stern told Silver to throw the book at him after Stern did nothing, then Stern is a POS coward.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  5. #285
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,337

    Re: Clippers Owner Donald Sterling Fined $2.5M and Banned for Life by NBA

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    I'll have to start a support group - I'm sure some good liberal in government will give me a grant to get the thing started, don't you think?

    And Good Evening Lady P. - a piss-poor rainy, windy day here today and looks like we have a forecast for rain for the next week or so - those April showers are apparently going to bring May showers!
    Well, I don't know about your support group. Are there any poor old white liberal men? I don't think they exist! It's only those wretched redneck Repubs who cause problems for everyone, you know.

    Rainy and windy here today, too. It's sunny currently, but that's only till tonight when the rain returns. And do you know why the rain will return? - it's because there is a 20-foot long section of gutter at my house that apparently suffered ice damage this past Winter, and it's leaking like crazy and needs replaced now! The gutter company will be here tomorrow, I hope! Do you know if they work in the rain?

  6. #286
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    42,876

    Re: Clippers Owner Donald Sterling Fined $2.5M and Banned for Life by NBA

    Quote Originally Posted by PirateMk1 View Post
    He better be ready to duck because the book might come flying back at him if Sterling fights. He seems to be the type that would fight by his history.
    Sterling's more than welcome to fight back, but the NBA's got some pretty good lawyers and I doubt Silver would have done this if he wasn't pretty damn confident he could legally.
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  7. #287
    Bat Chain Puller
    beefheart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    The burning sands of the desert southwest.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    19,238

    Re: Clippers Owner Donald Sterling Fined $2.5M and Banned for Life by NBA

    Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    I believe in fairness for all. Capitalism has nothing to do with this. I believe the man's property rights have been violated due to a corporation or a select group of people who passed judgment on information obtained by an illegal wire tap according to California laws.
    He belongs to this corporation, he is a franchisee, he has to adhere to the standards they set. He has to agree to this to belong. I heard another former NBA owner on the radio today, these owners are vetted and they have to live up to certain morals clauses.

    Nothing unfair, you want to own a team in the NBA, you have some rules to follow.
    "Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

  8. #288
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Anagram's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St. Louis MO
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    6,174

    Re: Clippers Owner Donald Sterling Fined $2.5M and Banned for Life by NBA

    Quote Originally Posted by PirateMk1 View Post
    He better be ready to duck because the book might come flying back at him if Sterling fights. He seems to be the type that would fight by his history.
    Maybe. Although it isn't known exactly known what rights owners waive in the NBA constitution, it is known that they waive some of their rights to sue the NBA. I doubt Silver would've done it if it were going to be relatively easy for Sterling to fight back.
    There should be Instant Runoff Voting

  9. #289
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    42,876

    Re: Clippers Owner Donald Sterling Fined $2.5M and Banned for Life by NBA

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Well, if Stern told Silver to throw the book at him after Stern did nothing, then Stern is a POS coward.
    I won't argue with that.
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  10. #290
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,182

    Re: Clippers Owner Donald Sterling Fined $2.5M and Banned for Life by NBA

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    Well, I don't know about your support group. Are there any poor old white liberal men? I don't think they exist! It's only those wretched redneck Repubs who cause problems for everyone, you know.

    Rainy and windy here today, too. It's sunny currently, but that's only till tonight when the rain returns. And do you know why the rain will return? - it's because there is a 20-foot long section of gutter at my house that apparently suffered ice damage this past Winter, and it's leaking like crazy and needs replaced now! The gutter company will be here tomorrow, I hope! Do you know if they work in the rain?
    Gutters are supposed to work in the rain
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

Page 29 of 57 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •