Page 28 of 57 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 280 of 566

Thread: Clippers Owner Donald Sterling Fined $2.5M and Banned for Life by NBA[W:545]

  1. #271
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,210

    Re: Clippers Owner Donald Sterling Fined $2.5M and Banned for Life by NBA

    Quote Originally Posted by PirateMk1 View Post
    Those bylaws may not hold up in court because of the situation and how his opinions were brought to the public. That's of course Sterling gets his back up and chooses to fight. He may just take it and his money to the beach.
    As I said in a previous comment, billionaires in the 80s aren't really too interested in more money and beaches - they like their toys and for a sports fan there's no bigger toy than your own professional sports team. That's the reason a guy like him has owned the team for 30 some yrs.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  2. #272
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    Μολὼν λαβέ's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    09-29-17 @ 11:22 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,914

    Re: Clippers Owner Donald Sterling Fined $2.5M and Banned for Life by NBA

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    It's based upon surveillance law, same reason video voyeurism is a felony in many states. Taping a conversation is considered surveillance so without the appropriate license or a public domain defense expectation of privacy to the second party is considered present.
    Unless the NSA does it, of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Generalizations are stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Steel View Post
    The Second Amendment has nothing to do with guns.

  3. #273
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Clippers Owner Donald Sterling Fined $2.5M and Banned for Life by NBA

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    Soon, no one will say a word that's not required. Ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  4. #274
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,210

    Re: Clippers Owner Donald Sterling Fined $2.5M and Banned for Life by NBA

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    Well, you're wrong.
    This is what courts are for and I hope the man takes the NBA to court. I like the odd bet now and then, but I wouldn't put money on the outcome of a court case either way here.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  5. #275
    Resident Martian ;)
    PirateMk1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    9,928

    Re: Clippers Owner Donald Sterling Fined $2.5M and Banned for Life by NBA

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    As I said in a previous comment, billionaires in the 80s aren't really too interested in more money and beaches - they like their toys and for a sports fan there's no bigger toy than your own professional sports team. That's the reason a guy like him has owned the team for 30 some yrs.
    You think he's pissed and going to fight back then?
    Semper Fidelis, Semper Liber.
    I spit at lots of people through my computer screen. Not only does it "teach them a lesson" but it keeps the screen clean and shiny.
    Stolen fair and square from the Capt. Courtesey himself.

  6. #276
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Clippers Owner Donald Sterling Fined $2.5M and Banned for Life by NBA

    Quote Originally Posted by Μολὼν λαβέ View Post
    Unless the NSA does it, of course.
    Don't even get me started on that one man. The whole point of surveillance law is that one must be licensed in the state they want to conduct it in(P.I.) and even then there are limitations. For official surveillance like police or any other agencies there is supposed to be probable cause, a warrant issued, and other protections to insure that the person being watched isn't having their rights violated in the process.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  7. #277
    Sage
    soccerboy22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    A warm place
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 10:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    10,723

    Re: Clippers Owner Donald Sterling Fined $2.5M and Banned for Life by NBA

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Michael Vick killed some ****ing dogs and he was back in the NFL within 4 years. Kyle Lowry basically assaulted somebody and he's still in the NBA. Jason Kidd beat the living **** out of his wife and nothing happened to him. Alen Iverson was allowed to play in the NBA after being convicted of basically beating someone down with a chair. I didn't care about his comments and now that I've heard the punishment, I hope he sues the living **** out of the NBA. I hope he makes a ****load of noise and makes life a living hell for them. There is absolutely NO reason this should have gotten as far as it did. A fine of $100K? Sure.
    Well with a new Commissioner comes new punishments. I doubt Lowry, Kidd, or Iverson would get the same treatment by Silver as they did by previous commissioners based on how Silver has come out on issues since he got the job in February. Second, I agree with you that this issue of his in total is not that big of a deal, especially compared to what happened with his discrimination law suits. However, the issue has gotten that big, not of a fault of Silver or the League, and it had to be addressed harshly. Owners refuse to even deal with Sterling (causes the League issues), the Player Association actively boycotts the playoffs (causes the League issues), sponsor pull from the team (another League issue), former and current players boycotting (causes the League issues). Really the only team that benefits from this is the Pacers because no one cares about their collapse. However, these are legitimate problems for the League right now, and it is within Silver's right to take action. Since Sterling still owns the team (although that is now in question depending on how the Board votes) a lawsuit would really only lower his ban to a suspension because he really is not losing anything of monetary value. I also don't think the League would have a very hard case either because there are legitimate issues for the League right now.

    I am hoping that Sterling sells the team and then Silver just makes all the bans temporary. But if 75% of the Board votes to revoke Sterling's ownership, which is allowed in the NBA Constitution, then it could make Sterling's case harder. What it will do is make Sterling's case against his girlfriend easier.
    Boston: City of Champions. New England Patriots: 2001, 2003, 2004, 2014, and 2016 Boston Red Sox: 2004, 2007 and 2013 Boston Celtics: 2008 Boston Bruins: 2011 Boston University Men's Hockey: 2008



  8. #278
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,210

    Re: Clippers Owner Donald Sterling Fined $2.5M and Banned for Life by NBA

    Quote Originally Posted by PirateMk1 View Post
    You think he's pissed and going to fight back then?
    He's fought every other accusation of racism in court and I believe he's been successful each time. What else has he got to do with his time at 80? Crusty old guys don't usually give in if they feel healthy and up for the fight, and since he's got very deep pockets he can waste tens of millions on legal fees if he has to. In my view, the league has forced him into a fight. A more reasonable sanction may have been quietly accepted, but this one not so much. The NBA may have this in the news for years to come because of this decision and that's not good PR.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  9. #279
    Sage

    vesper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,903

    Re: Clippers Owner Donald Sterling Fined $2.5M and Banned for Life by NBA

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    Well, you're wrong.
    I don't think so. His property rights have been violated while using an illegal form of wiretapping in the state of California as a means to build the case to do so. If this **** is allowed to continue you or I might be the next victim down the road for whatever.

  10. #280
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    42,919

    Re: Clippers Owner Donald Sterling Fined $2.5M and Banned for Life by NBA

    It's pretty obvious to me that the harshness of this penalty against Sterling is not just based on this most recent incident. Call it a lifetime achievement award. Sterling was handled with kid gloves by David Stern for 30 years, and many people turned a blind eye toward or rationalized his many incidents of discriminatory behavior. And I have no doubt that Silver was in contact with Stern, his mentor, over this issue, and I'd be willing to bet Stern told Silver to throw the book at him.
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

Page 28 of 57 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •