Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22

Thread: Verizon Wireless sells out customers with creepy new tactic

  1. #11
    Hot Flash Mama
    Summerwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Last Seen
    01-23-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,010

    Re: Verizon Wireless sells out customers with creepy new tactic

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    I agree with the OP. It's not only creepy, it smacks of an invasion of privacy. If you pay Verizon to provide a service - phone access and/or internet access - they should stick with providing you what you pay for, and never mind assuming that you're hiring them to be your personal assistant. I know you *can* fix the problem with a cache cleaning, but why should you even have to?
    As AJiveMan mentioned above, clearing the cache may not work. That would be even creepier.
    jallman: "It's all good. At least you have a thick skin and can take being poked fun back at without crying. "

  2. #12
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,034

    Re: Verizon Wireless sells out customers with creepy new tactic

    Quote Originally Posted by Summerwind View Post
    As AJiveMan mentioned above, clearing the cache may not work. That would be even creepier.
    That's been my unfortunate experience too! It's like it follows you everywhere.

    I stayed at a hotel on business a couple of weeks ago. Now every time I open a browser, I see an ad for Marriott.

  3. #13
    Paying To Play
    AJiveMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    wisconSIN
    Last Seen
    05-15-15 @ 04:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,775

    Re: Verizon Wireless sells out customers with creepy new tactic

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    I agree with the OP. It's not only creepy, it smacks of an invasion of privacy. If you pay Verizon to provide a service - phone access and/or internet access - they should stick with providing you what you pay for, and never mind assuming that you're hiring them to be your personal assistant. I know you *can* fix the problem with a cache cleaning, but why should you even have to?
    Whenever I see or hear that phrase, I think of Mrs. Kravitz.

  4. #14
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,034

    Re: Verizon Wireless sells out customers with creepy new tactic

    Quote Originally Posted by AJiveMan View Post
    Whenever I see or hear that phrase, I think of Mrs. Kravitz.



  5. #15
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Last Seen
    10-02-17 @ 04:49 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    521

    Re: Verizon Wireless sells out customers with creepy new tactic

    Quote Originally Posted by AJiveMan View Post
    Ahum, and it's unique too I'll bet.

    I am so glad I never got out of the dumb phones me & spouse use, just text & talk, that's all we need. They, (phone providers) need to know nothing more than I want them to know.
    They can add this cookie to your home PC. Don't visit My Verizon on your home PC then either.

  6. #16
    Paying To Play
    AJiveMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    wisconSIN
    Last Seen
    05-15-15 @ 04:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,775

    Re: Verizon Wireless sells out customers with creepy new tactic

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post


    I like the one where Sammy is taking a dip in her backyard pool, and Mrs. Kravitz sees her toweling off thinking Sammy has a swimming pool out back, and when she looks over the fence, all Gladys sees is a concrete patio.

  7. #17
    Paying To Play
    AJiveMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    wisconSIN
    Last Seen
    05-15-15 @ 04:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,775

    Re: Verizon Wireless sells out customers with creepy new tactic

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    That's been my unfortunate experience too! It's like it follows you everywhere.

    I stayed at a hotel on business a couple of weeks ago. Now every time I open a browser, I see an ad for Marriott.
    Maybe I watch too many CSI programs, but before I did, I didn't know that investigators could triangulate a cell phone location just using cell tower signals. It's like our every move is being tracked, I don't like it.

  8. #18
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,034

    Re: Verizon Wireless sells out customers with creepy new tactic

    Quote Originally Posted by AJiveMan View Post
    I like the one where Sammy is taking a dip in her backyard pool, and Mrs. Kravitz sees her toweling off thinking Sammy has a swimming pool out back, and when she looks over the fence, all Gladys sees is a concrete patio.
    I don't want to go off topic, but that was a great episode! Everything that involved Gladys was great. ABNER!!!!

    Watch...now I'm going to see ads that somehow relate to Bewitched, Abner or swimming pools!

  9. #19
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,034

    Re: Verizon Wireless sells out customers with creepy new tactic

    Quote Originally Posted by AJiveMan View Post
    Maybe I watch too many CSI programs, but before I did, I didn't know that investigators could triangulate a cell phone location just using cell tower signals. It's like our every move is being tracked, I don't like it.
    It's rather Orwellian if you think about it. That, and something I heard (I also watch a lot of CSI type shows) recently that the average person is caught on some variation of video about 22 times a day or something. Talk about creepy.

  10. #20
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,077

    Re: Verizon Wireless sells out customers with creepy new tactic

    Quote Originally Posted by Summerwind View Post
    Verizon Wireless sells out customers with creepy new tactic - latimes.com

    Okay this is creepy, imo. However if the part of the article below is accurate, you should be able to simply clear your cookies after a session at Verizon and be safe. Additionally, may I again recommend NoScript and learn how to use.

    One other option that comes to mind is a Firefox private window wherein it won't keep any cookies or cache from the sites you visit while in private window mode, or so it says.
    Welcome to the future. It is annoying, but it's also going to become ubiquitous.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •