Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 209

Thread: SC House votes to cut funding to public university for homosexul literature

  1. #61
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:38 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,269

    Re: SC House votes to cut funding to public university for homosexul literature

    Quote Originally Posted by vash1012 View Post
    As in funding the program itself is discriminatory?

    No the program has nothing to do with LGBT issues. The program is a fund to buy 1 book a year for the new freshman. It's a different book every year and doesn't deal with any particular issue. Its been around for years with support from the State. It just happens that this year the book was about a lesbian with a gay father
    That is an interesting topic and rather discriminatory in its own right. Gay parents have gay children? Hmpf.

  2. #62
    Professor

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    11-18-17 @ 08:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,454

    Re: SC House votes to cut funding to public university for homosexul literature

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    That right you just defended calls for the labor of others to be provided, which makes it unconstitutional. Exactly how does children have the right to the labor of others? Exactly how does one define a good education and exactly why wouldn't another level of education that someone else came up with not have just as much merit?
    As to how one decides what is and isn't a good education, the basic need of a person to function in a job in society or to pursue higher education is how one defines a good education. Not knowing math or english prevents both of those, wouldn't you say? High school competencies are based on those needs.

    As to your point about children having a right to the labor of others, what you just said is absolute moronic nonsense. Children have a right to an education and it will be provided by the State if the parents choose not to do it so that that child doesn't become an uneducated adult. Not having uneducated adults is a compelling interest of the State which is fully provided for by the Constitution. This compelling interest allows taxation of citizens in order to provide for that interest of the State, which is ultimately manifested as public schools and basic competency for education. The labor of the individuals providing that education is compensated for through taxation. No one is being compelled to be a teacher through force of law. It is a voluntary act.

  3. #63
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,336

    Re: SC House votes to cut funding to public university for homosexul literature

    Quote Originally Posted by Carjosse View Post
    They elected to take that class, and my point still stands. They are adults I think they can handle seeing drawn breasts.
    I read that the school purchased the book for every incoming freshman. Did all the freshmen elect to take that class? I would guess not.

    My response? Try purchasing the Bible for every incoming freshman, and I would bet Carjosse would have a different opinion.

    My opinion would stay the same. School has no business in the forced agenda business.

  4. #64
    Professor

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    11-18-17 @ 08:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,454

    Re: SC House votes to cut funding to public university for homosexul literature

    Quote Originally Posted by joG View Post
    That is an interesting topic and rather discriminatory in its own right. Gay parents have gay children? Hmpf.
    Elaborate please. What are you saying is discriminatory?

  5. #65
    Professor

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    11-18-17 @ 08:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,454

    Re: SC House votes to cut funding to public university for homosexul literature

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    I read that the school purchased the book for every incoming freshman. Did all the freshmen elect to take that class? I would guess not.

    My response? Try purchasing the Bible for every incoming freshman, and I would bet Carjosse would have a different opinion.

    My opinion would stay the same. School has no business in the forced agenda business.
    This would be categorically illegal because a public university, as an extension of the government, cannot be said to be promoting one religion over another through the Establishment clause found in the First Amendment. The Bible is a religious book. A graphic novel about a lesbian is not. Two very different things legally speaking.

    Same reason a public high school can't teach creationism in certain ways.

    Also there is no need because if you come to any college campus in the south you will have 4 free Bibles by the time you get to your first class
    Last edited by vash1012; 04-23-14 at 03:05 AM.

  6. #66
    Educator
    Slyhunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    06-22-15 @ 03:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: SC House votes to cut funding to public university for homosexul literature

    Quote Originally Posted by vash1012 View Post
    This would be categorically illegal because a public university, as an extension of the government, cannot be said to be promoting one religion over another through the Establishment clause found in the First Amendment. The Bible is a religious book. A graphic novel about a lesbian is not. Two very different things legally speaking.

    Same reason a public high school can't teach creationism in certain ways.
    Ones mans religion could be another mans sex act.

    I have a problem with them being allowed to push the gay agenda on our children but not allowed to teach about religion. That is the same as saying religion is evil, and faggots are good.
    Islam is an antiquated religion and needs to either modernize with the times or be completely eradicated.
    There are two types of Muslims, terrorists, and their enablers. They need to fix that if they want to be part of civilized society.

  7. #67
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: SC House votes to cut funding to public university for homosexul literature

    Quote Originally Posted by vash1012 View Post
    As to how one decides what is and isn't a good education, the basic need of a person to function in a job in society or to pursue higher education is how one defines a good education. Not knowing math or english prevents both of those, wouldn't you say? High school competencies are based on those needs.
    That is entirely subjective. You could easily define a good education on an entirely different basis and have just as much merit to your argument.

    As to your point about children having a right to the labor of others, what you just said is absolute moronic nonsense. Children have a right to an education and it will be provided by the State if the parents choose not to do it so that that child doesn't become an uneducated adult. Not having uneducated adults is a compelling interest of the State which is fully provided for by the Constitution. This compelling interest allows taxation of citizens in order to provide for that interest of the State, which is ultimately manifested as public schools and basic competency for education. The labor of the individuals providing that education is compensated for through taxation. No one is being compelled to be a teacher through force of law. It is a voluntary act.
    Sorry, the compelling interest argument is not found anywhere in the Constitution.

    Compulsory education is in violation of the constitution as it forces parents and children to provide their labor towards the interests of the state. Mandating parents to either send their kids to school or teach their children at all is forcing them into labor, and again, is in violation of the Constitution. No one has a right to an education provided to them by other individuals, and yes, that includes children getting an education from their parents or from a school. Furthermore, no one has a right to have an education provided to them with the use of other peoples property, and therefore, forcing people to pay taxes to be educated is not a right.

  8. #68
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,336

    Re: SC House votes to cut funding to public university for homosexul literature

    Quote Originally Posted by vash1012 View Post
    This would be categorically illegal because a public university, as an extension of the government, cannot be said to be promoting one religion over another through the Establishment clause found in the First Amendment. The Bible is a religious book. A graphic novel about a lesbian is not. Two very different things legally speaking.

    Same reason a public high school can't teach creationism in certain ways.

    Also there is no need because if you come to any college campus in the south you will have 4 free Bibles by the time you get to your first class
    You probably have a point concerning the Bible running afoul of the first, so I'll rephrase. What would be the reaction if any so called right wing agenda was forced on the freshmen and paid for by the state? Say, for example, a subscription to the American Rifleman. Would that work better for you?

    I am against any agenda being forced on any captive audience and paid for with state money. That would include the Bible, the gay book, or any RW publication you care to name. In this case, I believe the state was correct in withholding funds.

  9. #69
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    01-15-15 @ 03:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,578

    Re: SC House votes to cut funding to public university for homosexul literature

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    you clearly have no concept of what censorship is. Spend a few years in Saudi Arabia or Iran, that will clear it right up.
    actually I know what it is, and it exists in the US.

  10. #70
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,046

    Re: SC House votes to cut funding to public university for homosexul literature

    Quote Originally Posted by Dezaad View Post
    College should be partly about seeing a broader world than the one your helicopter parents depicted for you. If you want a sheltered education for your kids, send them to a religious school. The rest of world want to deal with, you know, reality?
    I wouldn't send my kids to religious schools because we are not a religious family, which I've said on here repeatedly. You fail.

Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •