Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 209

Thread: SC House votes to cut funding to public university for homosexul literature

  1. #111
    Professor

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    11-18-17 @ 08:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,454

    Re: SC House votes to cut funding to public university for homosexul literature

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    Umm that is their job to set a state budget? this isn't rocket science.
    This isn't setting a State budget. That was already set. This isn't defunding a program because its a silly idea and is wasteful. This was a bill to ADJUST the already agreed upon state budget that was specifically passed with the very public reason that the state legislator did not agree with the specific book that was selected this year in a program that's been running with no issue for years. Seeing the difference between a state setting a budget for a school and a state altering a budget because a school is exposing kids to literature that has homosexual protagonists or themes is not rocket science, as you say.

  2. #112
    Professor

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    11-18-17 @ 08:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,454

    Re: SC House votes to cut funding to public university for homosexul literature

    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Mal View Post
    I highlighted 'funding decisions' and asked, "Based on what?"



    A legislator who bases funding decisions on personal prejudices is stepping outside his job description. If you've decided to fund a university, write the cheque and be done with it. If you don't like what they do with the money, stop the funding. Don't presume to tell university administrators how they should do their jobs. What's next, cutting the funding that's spent on science texts that don't teach a creation myth?
    Yes, exactly. I don't even want to call this situation a slippery slope.. This IS the slope. They are already on it and if the Senate passes this bill, we will be sliding down it full speed already.

  3. #113
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:21 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,561

    Re: SC House votes to cut funding to public university for homosexul literature

    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Mal View Post
    I highlighted 'funding decisions' and asked, "Based on what?"



    A legislator who bases funding decisions on personal prejudices is stepping outside his job description. If you've decided to fund a university, write the cheque and be done with it. If you don't like what they do with the money, stop the funding. Don't presume to tell university administrators how they should do their jobs. What's next, cutting the funding that's spent on science texts that don't teach a creation myth?
    umm funding decisions are always based on personal prejudices.
    they did stop the funding because they didn't like what they did with the money.

  4. #114
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:21 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,561

    Re: SC House votes to cut funding to public university for homosexul literature

    Quote Originally Posted by vash1012 View Post
    This isn't setting a State budget. That was already set. This isn't defunding a program because its a silly idea and is wasteful. This was a bill to ADJUST the already agreed upon state budget that was specifically passed with the very public reason that the state legislator did not agree with the specific book that was selected this year in a program that's been running with no issue for years. Seeing the difference between a state setting a budget for a school and a state altering a budget because a school is exposing kids to literature that has homosexual protagonists or themes is not rocket science, as you say.
    the state can fund the public university however they wish. if they felt that the school spent the money incorrectly then they have a right to pull that funding back or make the school pay for it.

    i consider it a waste of money and the school will be screaming for more money next year had they not bought thousands of useless books that students don't need.
    if it is for a class then only the students in the class need it not the whole school.

    if they would have handed it to me i would have thrown it in the trash and went on my businesses.

  5. #115
    Professor

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    11-18-17 @ 08:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,454

    Re: SC House votes to cut funding to public university for homosexul literature

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    the state can fund the public university however they wish.
    You keep saying that..but its not necessarily true. Cutting funding specifically to suppress the discussion of gay and lesbian topics is an infringement of the right of an institution to academic freedom which is an extension of their first amendment rights to free speech. This is an idea that has been upheld in court time and time again. Cutting funding in general is no problem had they not been so overt about their reasoning for doing so. If the State thinks buying a book for every freshman student is a waste of money, fine. If the State thinks a college should buy a book for every student (which they do since they've paid for it for years) but only has an issue when its a book that has a gay theme, that's targeting a specific topic and a specific subgroup without merit and has no basis for budgetary decisions.

    Just recently, there was a new development. The senators in from the upstate area threatened to oust the board of trustees from the college because the college was hosting a satirical gay themed play. If the first incident isn't a problem, Is that not an obvious overreach to you?

  6. #116
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:26 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,030

    Re: SC House votes to cut funding to public university for homosexul literature

    College used to be about school.

  7. #117
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: SC House votes to cut funding to public university for homosexul literature

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    College used to be about school.

    Still is.

    but as it always has been, school is also about money, access, and pushing the envelope.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #118
    Professor

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    11-18-17 @ 08:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,454

    Re: SC House votes to cut funding to public university for homosexul literature

    Republican Sens. Lee Bright, R-Roebuck, and Mike Fair, a fellow Republican from Greenville County, said in a statement last week that they voted in opposition to all candidates for reappointment to the University of South Carolina board of trustees, who were unopposed, because of recent decisions allow "left-leaning" books and performances with gay themes."

    Read more here: USC Upstate chancellor: Labeling gay-themed programs indoctrination is misinformed | Education | The State

    Refusing to support UNOPPOSED board members because of allowing "left-leaning" books on campus...

  9. #119
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:26 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,030

    Re: SC House votes to cut funding to public university for homosexul literature

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Still is.

    but as it always has been, school is also about money, access, and pushing the envelope.
    You forgot indoctrination.

  10. #120
    Professor

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    11-18-17 @ 08:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,454

    Re: SC House votes to cut funding to public university for homosexul literature

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    You forgot indoctrination.
    The people who are calling talking about homosexual issues indoctrination now are the same type of people who called talking about African American issues indoctrination and talking about women's issues indoctrination. I can't see how people still haven't learned from the recent history of civil rights issues. The people that were calling themselves "traditional" then are now the backwards racists and misogynists of today. The result will be the same for people who refuse to acknowledge that homosexuals are people and have the same right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness that you do.

Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •