Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 97

Thread: Canada's Middle Class Richest In Study of Big Nations [W:77]

  1. #71
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:30 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,071

    Re: Canada's Middle Class Richest In Study of Big Nations

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Highest middle class income on the planet is a "blob of mediocrity" :

    If they're mediocre, what are we?
    Well, about 40 percent of us are pretty exceptional. The other 60 percent are watching American Idol and staring at their smart phones.

  2. #72
    Left the building
    Fearandloathing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada Dual citizen
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    18,455

    Re: Canada's Middle Class Richest In Study of Big Nations

    Quote Originally Posted by pogomutt View Post
    Yea but the Canucks still suck worse than my Hoover.
    Thank you for that insight; it is always refreshing to find a quote notification with that level of contribution of the furtherance of the topic. I will, of course, be paying particularly close attention to future posts of such wisdom.
    ""You know, when we sell to other countries, even if they're allies -- you never know about an ally. An ally can turn."
    Donald Trump, 11/23/17

  3. #73
    Hot Flash Mama
    Summerwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Last Seen
    01-23-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,010

    Re: Canada's Middle Class Richest In Study of Big Nations

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    I am not surprised at all. We have collectively been fools, with fools for politicians, and a general populace who has become lazy and complacent.
    IIRC, US productivity per worker has soared over the past decade, so you opinion seems very unlikely to be true.
    jallman: "It's all good. At least you have a thick skin and can take being poked fun back at without crying. "

  4. #74
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Canada's Middle Class Richest In Study of Big Nations

    Quote Originally Posted by pogomutt View Post
    Yea but the Canucks still suck worse than my Hoover.
    It's all up to Montreal now!!

  5. #75
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,766

    Re: Canada's Middle Class Richest In Study of Big Nations

    Quote Originally Posted by Travis007 View Post
    do you know how to read a chart and what year Pelosi and Reid took over?... its like you dont even know how to read a chart or what variables are involved...
    Why don't you educate me, tough guy. Teach me something that isn't apparent from the chart I posted and you quoted (post #36). Show me what glaring omission I've made. Prove to me that what the chart shows is inaccurate - that wages have remained flat for nearly a decade for middle-class Americans and that their earnings have decreased since 2009.

    Prove me wrong.
    "A fair exchange ain't no robbery." Tupac Shakur w/Digital Underground

  6. #76
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,766

    Re: Canada's Middle Class Richest In Study of Big Nations

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    If you think government spending cuts would alone save the US then you are insane. As I said there are many more factors that are holding the US back, and that Canada does not have or has to a less degree.

    Take political deadlock. The US has had it for a decade... Canada, while their politics can be fun to watch, it does have the ability to get things done when needed, something the US political establishment sorely lacks.

    Or take healthcare. Yes Canada pays higher taxes (not by much on paper), but it also gets a system where the threat of economic doom is all but gone. Not so in the US for large parts of the middle class. Get sick, have the wrong insurance policy and you are screwed. And then there is the overall cost of healthcare... much higher in the US vs Canada, because in the US it is the healthcare industry that sets the prices due to lax regulation, which means the US healthcare provider can run amok price wise.

    Fact is Canada has higher taxes, more regulation and so on than the US, but preforms on average better when looking at the middle class. Why is that? Look at the income inequality numbers... that might explain some of it and then look at the lopsided tax system the US has, where the rich have a smaller burden than the middle class.

    And then of course there is the whole spending far more than you earn for decades and starting wars that are unfunded.
    The section in bold is so very true despite the argument many on the Right have concerning taxes. Yes, it's true that those at the bottom of the income scale pay little to nothing in federal income taxes, but that argument that many of us "in the middle" have put forward for quite some time now is that WE'RE THE ONES BEING SQUEEZED!

    It's our labor that continues to get punished and our earning power that continues to get marginalized. Look at it this way:

    When a multi-billion dollar company can pay $0.00 in federal income taxes because they've able to use the tax code to their advantage (bought and paid for through their corporate lobbyist) and hedge fund managers can get away with paying a mere 16% in capital gains taxes while much of the working class pays up to 25% of their earnings in federal income taxes (on top of state taxes in come cases), then it is WE who's only contribution to America's prosperity is our labor who is getting the crap end of the stick. It's a shame that so many people on the Right downplay this issue.
    "A fair exchange ain't no robbery." Tupac Shakur w/Digital Underground

  7. #77
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,989

    Re: Canada's Middle Class Richest In Study of Big Nations

    Moderator's Warning:
    Canada's Middle Class Richest In Study of Big Nations [W:77]Cut the name calling and baiting out and stick to the topic. Questions regarding peoples ability to read or belittling references to other posters are not needed to discuss the topic

  8. #78
    Student pogomutt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    colorado remote
    Last Seen
    05-04-14 @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    182

    Re: Canada's Middle Class Richest In Study of Big Nations

    Quote Originally Posted by Fearandloathing View Post
    Thank you for that insight; it is always refreshing to find a quote notification with that level of contribution of the furtherance of the topic. I will, of course, be paying particularly close attention to future posts of such wisdom.
    You're obviously not a hockey fan.

  9. #79
    Student pogomutt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    colorado remote
    Last Seen
    05-04-14 @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    182

    Re: Canada's Middle Class Richest In Study of Big Nations

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    It's all up to Montreal now!!
    Yep. The Habs could be a Stanley Cup dark horse this year.

  10. #80
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,803

    Re: Canada's Middle Class Richest In Study of Big Nations

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    Well, about 40 percent of us are pretty exceptional. The other 60 percent are watching American Idol and staring at their smart phones.
    So who do you think is going to win?
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •