Page 29 of 32 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast
Results 281 to 290 of 315

Thread: High Court Upholds Michigan Affirmative Action Ban

  1. #281
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,701

    Re: High Court Upholds Michigan Affirmative Action Ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    As few have. Point, nothing unusual, and you have no evidence.
    you are ignoring the obvious because you don't like where it is pointing



  2. #282
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,701

    Re: High Court Upholds Michigan Affirmative Action Ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    After graduating from Yale University in 1968 and Harvard Business School in 1975. . . .
    George W. Bush - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    He got into both, right? From a "B" school.
    I don't know what that has to do with Obama's affirmative action seat at Harvard.


    B School=Harvard Business School. Executive potential is a huge thing for B school admissions

    not nearly as grade oriented



  3. #283
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: High Court Upholds Michigan Affirmative Action Ban

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    you are ignoring the obvious because you don't like where it is pointing
    No, you only think it is obvious because you want to believe your narrative.

    But, more on Bush for you:

    If our President had the slightest sense of irony, he might have paused to ask himself, "Wait a minute. How did I get into Yale?" It wasn't because of any academic achievement: his high school record was ordinary. It wasn't because of his life experience--prosperous family, fancy prep school--which was all too familiar at Yale. It wasn't his SAT scores: 566 verbal and 640 math.

    They may not have had an explicit point system at Yale in 1964, but Bush clearly got in because of affirmative action. Affirmative action for the son and grandson of alumni. Affirmative action for a member of a politically influential family. Affirmative action for a boy from a fancy prep school. These forms of affirmative action still go on.

    The Wall Street Journal reported last week that Harvard accepts 40% of applicants who are children of alumni but only 11% of applicants generally. And this kind of affirmative action makes the student body less diverse, not more so. George W. Bush, in fact, may be the most spectacular affirmative-action success story of all time. Until 1994, when he was 48 years old and got elected Governor of Texas, his life was almost empty of accomplishments.
    CNN.com - How affirmative action helped George W. - Jan. 20, 2003


    Just saying . . .

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #284
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: High Court Upholds Michigan Affirmative Action Ban

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    I don't know what that has to do with Obama's affirmative action seat at Harvard.


    B School=Harvard Business School. Executive potential is a huge thing for B school admissions

    not nearly as grade oriented
    The point is you're selective. You take someone you have no evidence on, weave a narrative without support, using the weak anti evidence argument "it's obvious," but express no issue with white Affirmative Action. Like I said in the beginning with the question, I was looking for consistency of thought.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #285
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: High Court Upholds Michigan Affirmative Action Ban

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    I don't know what that has to do with Obama's affirmative action seat at Harvard.


    B School=Harvard Business School. Executive potential is a huge thing for B school admissions

    not nearly as grade oriented
    Also, this and the other post disputes what you claim to be the criteria for getting into Harvard.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #286
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,792

    Re: High Court Upholds Michigan Affirmative Action Ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    If he made high honors at Harvard, why would he have needed affirmative action help?
    Seriously, you actually ask that question? You cannot make high honors, or any honors, until you're in the school. People use affirmative action to get into the school in the first place. Or didn't you think of that?
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  7. #287
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,792

    Re: High Court Upholds Michigan Affirmative Action Ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    yet he evidently had the ability.

    and how do you know he didn't have the grades?
    If he had the grades, he would have made it into the school on them. Besides the schools publish their high-performing students and he wasn't on the list. That's how we know.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  8. #288
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,701

    Re: High Court Upholds Michigan Affirmative Action Ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Also, this and the other post disputes what you claim to be the criteria for getting into Harvard.
    what are you braying about? Law schools are extremely grade and LSAT oriented. Other than Chicago, none of the top schools interview candidates. B schools generally don't take people straight out of college Executive potential (i.e. how you are doing in the work force)is a major factor.



  9. #289
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,701

    Re: High Court Upholds Michigan Affirmative Action Ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    If he had the grades, he would have made it into the school on them. Besides the schools publish their high-performing students and he wasn't on the list. That's how we know.
    If Obama had been a 4.0 student at columbia, I guarantee he would have made that fact public



  10. #290
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: High Court Upholds Michigan Affirmative Action Ban

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    what are you braying about? Law schools are extremely grade and LSAT oriented. Other than Chicago, none of the top schools interview candidates. B schools generally don't take people straight out of college Executive potential (i.e. how you are doing in the work force)is a major factor.
    Apparently not as much as you think.


    Many of you may be asking the logical next question: If the LSAT is so determinative, how did those 24 students get admitted to BC Law? Remember that the LSAT (and GPA) review is just the first step. Based on where your numbers fall relative to the school’s target range, your application is then placed in one of three categories: presumptive admit, presumptive deny, and “everybody else.” In the second step, each application is reviewed based on the category it falls into: The presumptive admits will generally be accepted barring any serious negative information in the file. Likewise, the presumptive denies will generally be rejected unless there is some compelling information in the file—something that makes the candidate stand out as truly extraordinary and worth admitting notwithstanding the negative impact the applicant’s LSAT score will have on the school’s target LSAT range. The majority of applicants at any particular school—the “everybody else” pile— will fall somewhere in the middle of the school’s range. With these candidates, the admission committee explores the rest of the files to see what each individual might bring to the law school community and legal profession, and how s/he fits in with the rest of the incoming class. (For more on what makes a candidate “extraordinary” and on how to demonstrate what you might bring to the table, please see the pages on compiling your overall application profile.)

    Just how important is the LSAT? : LSAT (Law School Admission Test) : UMass Amherst Pre-Law Advising Office

    As I said earlier, such scores weed out, and are just the first step. It is not only conceivable, but likely that even without any race consideration someone with higher scores will lose out to someone with lower scores, even among white males.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Page 29 of 32 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •