Page 18 of 32 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 315

Thread: High Court Upholds Michigan Affirmative Action Ban

  1. #171
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,792

    Re: High Court Upholds Michigan Affirmative Action Ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Do you deny it?
    You're the one that claims it, it's up to you to present evidence. Got any?
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  2. #172
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,792

    Re: High Court Upholds Michigan Affirmative Action Ban

    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    If a marginal white student is passed over for an exceptional black kid, I think that's a good thing.
    How about a marginal black student gets a spot instead of an exceptional white kid? Do you think that's a good thing too?
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  3. #173
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,870
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: High Court Upholds Michigan Affirmative Action Ban

    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    If a marginal white student is passed over for an exceptional black kid, I think that's a good thing.
    Then this SCOTUS decision is in accord with your view.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  4. #174
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,036

    Re: High Court Upholds Michigan Affirmative Action Ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    You're the one that claims it, it's up to you to present evidence. Got any?
    You are very very VERY confused about who's saying what in this thread. Perhaps you've got me confused with someone else? My suggestion to you: read gooder.

  5. #175
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,547

    Re: High Court Upholds Michigan Affirmative Action Ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    How do you determine how many are too little? What you are talking about is a tacit quota.
    Not at all. What I'm talking about is showing that race is not used as an admission factor.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  6. #176
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,870
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: High Court Upholds Michigan Affirmative Action Ban

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    The key here is ALL admissions based only on academic merit. In the past, some people who have a particular grudge against race based admissions find elaborate ways to excuse or justify other type of preferences. If academic merit is going to be the sole ticket in - lets stick to that for everyone at all colleges.
    Universities are perfectly free to extend preferences based on any number of considerations: athletic ability, parents' affiliation with the university, place of residence, artistic ability, etc. they cannot, however, extend preference on the basis of race because that is prohibited by the Constitution.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  7. #177
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,792

    Re: High Court Upholds Michigan Affirmative Action Ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    You are very very VERY confused about who's saying what in this thread. Perhaps you've got me confused with someone else? My suggestion to you: read gooder.
    I don't know, was this not you?

    Originally Posted by Cardinal
    No one's under any obligation to be overt about their racism. So if a college picks a white student over a black student for racist reasons, and both students are equally qualified, how do you prove it?
    If you can't prove it, how do you know it's happening at all? Where is your evidence that it's happening? You're the one claiming that it's happening.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  8. #178
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: High Court Upholds Michigan Affirmative Action Ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    Yeah, uh, no. Affirmative Action prevents them from accepting on merit.

    And it creates tokens because people know who belong there and who are there by quota.
    That's not true. I remember Pat Buchanan being called on that once. He admitted that AA wasn't what you suggest, but said we had to change it because so many believed it. The truth didn't matter.

    Again, no law requires quotas, or tokens, or percentages, or anyone not qualified. Those lawsuits were able to be filed, and were won because of AA. Without AA, schools could discriminate due to race and merit, whatever that is defined as, wouldn't matter at all.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #179
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,870
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: High Court Upholds Michigan Affirmative Action Ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    That's not true. I remember Pat Buchanan being called on that once. He admitted that AA wasn't what you suggest, but said we had to change it because so many believed it. The truth didn't matter.

    Again, no law requires quotas, or tokens, or percentages, or anyone not qualified. Those lawsuits were able to be filed, and were won because of AA. Without AA, schools could discriminate due to race and merit, whatever that is defined as, wouldn't matter at all.
    Hmmm. You'll have to elaborate that point. The decision seems plain on its face to eliminate racial consideration.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  10. #180
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,351

    Re: High Court Upholds Michigan Affirmative Action Ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    That's not true. I remember Pat Buchanan being called on that once. He admitted that AA wasn't what you suggest, but said we had to change it because so many believed it. The truth didn't matter.

    Again, no law requires quotas, or tokens, or percentages, or anyone not qualified. Those lawsuits were able to be filed, and were won because of AA. Without AA, schools could discriminate due to race and merit, whatever that is defined as, wouldn't matter at all.
    So you agree that it was a fair decision?

    Greetings, Boo Radley.

Page 18 of 32 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •