Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 77

Thread: Court orders U.S. to release memo on drones, al-Awlaki killing

  1. #61
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,040

    Re: Court orders U.S. to release memo on drones, al-Awlaki killing

    Quote Originally Posted by Jango View Post
    That's not exactly true.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/29/wo...pagewanted=all
    US drone strikes target rescuers in Pakistan
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/06/wo...-rescuers.html
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/24/wo...a/24pstan.html

    There has, on several occasions, been indiscriminate killing, which is reflected by Administration/drone policy and deaths on the ground.
    Youll have to quote the relevant sections.

  2. #62
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Last Seen
    01-28-15 @ 06:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    5,587
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Court orders U.S. to release memo on drones, al-Awlaki killing

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    Youll have to quote the relevant sections.
    Why is that?

  3. #63
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,040

    Re: Court orders U.S. to release memo on drones, al-Awlaki killing

    Quote Originally Posted by Jango View Post
    Why is that?
    Because I dont want to read 5 separate articles to try and figure out what youre referencing. This is a debate forum, not a reading list.

  4. #64
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Court orders U.S. to release memo on drones, al-Awlaki killing

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    No, im suggesting that you should support droning as its in line with your opinion that we should target groups. And calling me stupid isnt an argument. You said the opinion on what is torture is universal. I disagree, which disproves your point. I know that you know that thousands of others would not agree either. So why be intentionally dishonest?
    I don't. It's still too blunt, with the real possibility of killing innocent people.

    And no, you, and I repeat this, being either misinformed or pretending in order to excuse these acts doesn't change what is universally accepted. The US itself has a history of calling these acts torture. As does the UN. There is no honest opinion to the contrary.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #65
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Last Seen
    01-28-15 @ 06:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    5,587
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Court orders U.S. to release memo on drones, al-Awlaki killing

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    Because I dont want to read 5 separate articles to try and figure out what youre referencing. This is a debate forum, not a reading list.
    Alrighty then:

    It is also because Mr. Obama embraced a disputed method for counting civilian casualties that did little to box him in. It in effect counts all military-age males in a strike zone as combatants, according to several administration officials, unless there is explicit intelligence posthumously proving them innocent.

    Counterterrorism officials insist this approach is one of simple logic: people in an area of known terrorist activity, or found with a top Qaeda operative, are probably up to no good. “Al Qaeda is an insular, paranoid organization — innocent neighbors don’t hitchhike rides in the back of trucks headed for the border with guns and bombs,” said one official, who requested anonymity to speak about what is still a classified program.

    This counting method may partly explain the official claims of extraordinarily low collateral deaths. In a speech last year Mr. Brennan, Mr. Obama’s trusted adviser, said that not a single noncombatant had been killed in a year of strikes. And in a recent interview, a senior administration official said that the number of civilians killed in drone strikes in Pakistan under Mr. Obama was in the “single digits” —and that independent counts of scores or hundreds of civilian deaths unwittingly draw on false propaganda claims by militants.

    But in interviews, three former senior intelligence officials expressed disbelief that the number could be so low. The C.I.A. accounting has so troubled some administration officials outside the agency that they have brought their concerns to the White House. One called it “guilt by association” that has led to “deceptive” estimates of civilian casualties.

    “It bothers me when they say there were seven guys, so they must all be militants,” the official said. “They count the corpses and they’re not really sure who they are.”
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/29/wo...pagewanted=all

    In 2010, when WikiLeaks published a video of the incident in which an Apache helicopter in Baghdad killed two Reuters journalists, what sparked the greatest outrage was not the initial attack, which the US army claimed was aimed at armed insurgents, but rather the follow-up attack on those who arrived at the scene to rescue the wounded.

    But attacking rescuers (and arguably worse, bombing funerals of America's drone victims) is now a tactic routinely used by the US in Pakistan. In February, the Bureau of Investigative Journalism documented that "the CIA's drone campaign in Pakistan has killed dozens of civilians who had gone to help rescue victims or were attending funerals." Specifically: "at least 50 civilians were killed in follow-up strikes when they had gone to help victims." That initial TBIJ report detailed numerous civilians killed by such follow-up strikes on rescuers, and established precisely the terror effect which the US government has long warned are sown by such attacks:

    Since that first bureau report, there have been numerous other documented cases of the use by the US of this tactic: "On [4 June], US drones attacked rescuers in Waziristan in western Pakistan minutes after an initial strike, killing 16 people in total according to the BBC. On 28 May, drones were also reported to have returned to the attack in Khassokhel near Mir Ali." Moreover, "between May 2009 and June 2011, at least 15 attacks on rescuers were reported by credible news media, including the New York Times, CNN, ABC News and Al Jazeera."
    US drone strikes target rescuers in Pakistan

    British and Pakistani journalists said Sunday that the C.I.A.’s drone strikes on suspected militants in Pakistan have repeatedly targeted rescuers who responded to the scene of a strike, as well as mourners at subsequent funerals.

    The report, by the London-based Bureau of Investigative Journalism, found that at least 50 civilians had been killed in follow-up strikes after they rushed to help those hit by a drone-fired missile. The bureau counted more than 20 other civilians killed in strikes on funerals. The findings were published on the bureau’s Web site and in The Sunday Times of London.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/06/wo...rescuers.html?

    An airstrike believed to have been carried out by a United States drone killed at least 60 people at a funeral for a Taliban fighter in South Waziristan on Tuesday, residents of the area and local news reports said.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/24/wo...a/24pstan.html

    Funerals and rescue workers have been targeted in past strikes.
    Everything you need to know about the drone debate, in one FAQ

    Based on interviews with witnesses, victims and experts, the report accuses the CIA of "double-striking" a target, moments after the initial hit, thereby killing first responders.
    Drone strikes kill, maim and traumatize too many civilians, U.S. study says - CNN.com

    Missiles fired by a U.S. drone slammed into a convoy of vehicles traveling to a wedding party in central Yemen on Thursday, killing at least 13 people, Yemeni security officials said.
    Official: U.S. drone attack in Yemen kills wedding guests - CBS News

  6. #66
    Sage


    Thoreau72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: Court orders U.S. to release memo on drones, al-Awlaki killing

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    Because I dont want to read 5 separate articles to try and figure out what youre referencing. This is a debate forum, not a reading list.
    I hope you're not suggesting that you are unable to read something and come to your own conclusion....

  7. #67
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,040

    Re: Court orders U.S. to release memo on drones, al-Awlaki killing

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I don't. It's still too blunt, with the real possibility of killing innocent people.

    And no, you, and I repeat this, being either misinformed or pretending in order to excuse these acts doesn't change what is universally accepted. The US itself has a history of calling these acts torture. As does the UN. There is no honest opinion to the contrary.
    Prove to me that whatever defintion of torture you have is accepted by every single person on the planet (except me).

  8. #68
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,040

    Re: Court orders U.S. to release memo on drones, al-Awlaki killing

    Quote Originally Posted by Henry David View Post
    I hope you're not suggesting that you are unable to read something and come to your own conclusion....
    No, im suggesting that proper debate includes original content.

  9. #69
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,040

    Re: Court orders U.S. to release memo on drones, al-Awlaki killing

    Ok, that lends credence to your argument thats its not discriminating enough, though much of the evidence is based on hearsay. And in each case, the intent by the US was to kill someone they thought to be an enemy. Rather than intentionally targeting someone they knew wasnt. Which may very well be morally wrong. Its a debate worth having.

  10. #70
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Court orders U.S. to release memo on drones, al-Awlaki killing

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    Prove to me that whatever defintion of torture you have is accepted by every single person on the planet (except me).
    Waterboarding is a form of torture, more specifically a type of water torture, in which water is poured over a cloth covering the face and breathing passages of an immobilized captive, causing the individual to experience the sensation of drowning. Waterboarding can cause extreme pain, dry drowning, damage to lungs, brain damage from oxygen deprivation, other physical injuries including broken bones due to struggling against restraints, lasting psychological damage, and death.[1]

    (Snip)

    Waterboarding is considered to be torture by a wide range of authorities, including legal experts,[1][36][37] politicians, war veterans,[38][39] intelligence officials,[40] military judges,[41] and human rights organizations.

    Waterboarding - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •