Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 77

Thread: Court orders U.S. to release memo on drones, al-Awlaki killing

  1. #51
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Court orders U.S. to release memo on drones, al-Awlaki killing

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    And I said torture as well. I simply dont consider as torture the same things as you do. But it seems you agree with droning them, since its combating individuals, not countries.
    Consider implies there is a debate. I don't think there is. I think those seeking to excuse torture make excuses and redefine to fit their agenda. But at the end of the day those things are universally considered torture.

    And no where did I say I condone drone strikes. You really should expand your view of what is possible.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #52
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Court orders U.S. to release memo on drones, al-Awlaki killing

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    Because their religion demands it
    Yeah, sure does. Why all Muslims are terrorists and attacking us.

    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  3. #53
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,033

    Re: Court orders U.S. to release memo on drones, al-Awlaki killing

    Quote Originally Posted by Henry David View Post
    I'm not insulting anybody. I am merely stating what is perhaps a minority opinion.

    Are your posts really debate? Or just disproven government talking points? Sounds like a Sunday Morning Talking Heads show to me.
    I posted my opinion, supported by quoted sources, references to facts, logic and reasoning. You posted

    "If you don't understand it 13 years in, I fear you will never understand it. "

  4. #54
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,033

    Re: Court orders U.S. to release memo on drones, al-Awlaki killing

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Yeah, sure does. Why all Muslims are terrorists and attacking us.

    Because the Koran says convert everyone or kill them.

    And kill them wherever you find them

  5. #55
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,033

    Re: Court orders U.S. to release memo on drones, al-Awlaki killing

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Consider implies there is a debate. I don't think there is. I think those seeking to excuse torture make excuses and redefine to fit their agenda. But at the end of the day those things are universally considered torture.

    And no where did I say I condone drone strikes. You really should expand your view of what is possible.
    The fact that we are having a debate confirms that there is one. You said

    I said to combat them as they are, individuals and groups, not countries.
    What is drone strikes but targeting individuals and groups? You should really expand your view of I have no idea what your talking about.

  6. #56
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Court orders U.S. to release memo on drones, al-Awlaki killing

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    Because the Koran says convert everyone or kill them.
    Yes, and as I said, all Muslims are terrorists and attacking us. Even if they aren't attacking us and instead having a civil conversation, they're still attacking us and we need to defend ourselves!

    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  7. #57
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,033

    Re: Court orders U.S. to release memo on drones, al-Awlaki killing

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Yes, and as I said, all Muslims are terrorists and attacking us. Even if they aren't attacking us and instead having a civil conversation, they're still attacking us and we need to defend ourselves!

    And as I said. No wait, I never did say all muslims are terrorists.

  8. #58
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Last Seen
    01-28-15 @ 06:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    5,587
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Court orders U.S. to release memo on drones, al-Awlaki killing

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    We arent targeting civilians though. They just happen to be nearby.
    That's not exactly true.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/29/wo...pagewanted=all
    US drone strikes target rescuers in Pakistan
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/06/wo...-rescuers.html
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/24/wo...a/24pstan.html

    There has, on several occasions, been indiscriminate killing, which is reflected by Administration/drone policy and deaths on the ground.

  9. #59
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Court orders U.S. to release memo on drones, al-Awlaki killing

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    The fact that we are having a debate confirms that there is one. You said



    What is drone strikes but targeting individuals and groups? You should really expand your view of I have no idea what your talking about.
    No, addressing someone who is either misinformed or wanting to pretend doesn't make something actually debatable. There is no real or honest debate about the fact that we did torture.

    Are you suggesting there us no other way to target individuals or groups? If so, you're wrong about that as well.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  10. #60
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,033

    Re: Court orders U.S. to release memo on drones, al-Awlaki killing

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    No, addressing someone who is either misinformed or wanting to pretend doesn't make something actually debatable. There is no real or honest debate about the fact that we did torture.

    Are you suggesting there us no other way to target individuals or groups? If so, you're wrong about that as well.
    No, im suggesting that you should support droning as its in line with your opinion that we should target groups. And calling me stupid isnt an argument. You said the opinion on what is torture is universal. I disagree, which disproves your point. I know that you know that thousands of others would not agree either. So why be intentionally dishonest?

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •