Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 56

Thread: Putin tells Edward Snowden: Russia doesn't carry out mass surveillance [W:31]

  1. #41
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Edward Snowden - Useful Idiot?u

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Like anyone believes the world's most famous authoritarian spy on the subject of secret surveillance
    What stolen NSA information did he provide that's was untrue?
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  2. #42
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,807

    Re: Edward Snowden - Useful Idiot?u

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    You conveniently leave out that much of what he revealed was global intelligence processes that are directly involved with national security. It's not just home-based information he revealed.

    What libertarians don't understand is that, while your ideology sounds really nice in some ways, your country would last a nanosecond in this evil world. Some government is unfortunately quite necessary.

    As a conservative, I can support some of what he did, but not when he runs to China and Russia, and no doubt, undoes years of intelligence work on America's part. I have no doubt that this, in conjunction with a U.S. president whom Putin finds laughable, is largely the reason Putin is so bold and unafraid right now as he Hitlers along in the Eastern bloc.
    Libertopia would be a part of the evil in the world.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  3. #43
    Sage



    Jack Fabulous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    midwest
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    10,710
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Edward Snowden - Useful Idiot?u

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Like anyone believes the world's most famous authoritarian spy on the subject of secret surveillance
    I believe him to a point only because I have spent quite a bit of time in Russia.

    I went there for the first time kind of half expecting a bunch of guys resembling Mr. Smith from the Matrix to be watching my every move. Turns out that it was just the opposite. It much closer resembles the wild west. You literally have the feeling that there are no rules at all. The reason for this is they simply don't have the money to spend on law enforcement that we do. All of those spying programs that our government takes part in cost money. LOTS of money. Russia simply doesn't have it.

    This isn't to say that Russia doesn't have a very sophisticated intelligence gathering(aka SPY) network. It just isn't on the META data gathering scale that ours is.

  4. #44
    Sage
    Geoist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    9,916

    Re: Edward Snowden - Useful Idiot?u

    Quote Originally Posted by pinqy View Post
    Well, he mostly had no avenue because he didn't discover or reveal anything illegal.
    I disagree. But that is because I believe the Constitution is (or should be) the current law of the land.
    "Men did not make the earth ... it is the value of the improvement only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property... Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds." -- Thomas Paine, Agrarian Justice
    http://www.wealthandwant.com/

  5. #45
    Sage
    Geoist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    9,916

    Re: Edward Snowden - Useful Idiot?u

    Quote Originally Posted by Beaudreaux View Post
    It should make sense if you realize that the program of domestic spying (the one that seems to only get talked about and the one I don't like) is not the only program or secrets that this guy exposed to the world.
    No need to be obscure. What secret did he reveal that put our families at jeopardy?
    "Men did not make the earth ... it is the value of the improvement only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property... Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds." -- Thomas Paine, Agrarian Justice
    http://www.wealthandwant.com/

  6. #46
    Sage
    Geoist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    9,916

    Re: Edward Snowden - Useful Idiot?u

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Libertopia would be a part of the evil in the world.
    Letting people live their lives in peace and cooperation is not evil.
    "Men did not make the earth ... it is the value of the improvement only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property... Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds." -- Thomas Paine, Agrarian Justice
    http://www.wealthandwant.com/

  7. #47
    Guru
    pinqy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    4,369

    Re: Edward Snowden - Useful Idiot?u

    Quote Originally Posted by Geoist View Post
    I disagree. But that is because I believe the Constitution is (or should be) the current law of the land.
    So do I. But I am not convinced any of the programs are unconstitutional. Obviously others disagree, and that's fine. But given the current laws, it has not been found that the NSA has been intentionally violating them, and unintentional violations have been reported. It's not like pre-Church Commission activities like Project Shamrock which was clearly illegal.
    Therefore, since the world has still/Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure/Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would,/And train for ill and not for good.

  8. #48
    Sage
    AliHajiSheik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,383

    Re: Edward Snowden - Useful Idiot?u

    Pull the other one.

  9. #49
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Last Seen
    01-28-15 @ 06:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    5,587
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Edward Snowden - Useful Idiot?u

    Quote Originally Posted by Beaudreaux View Post
    Credibility? The guy first went to China, the most egregious violator of individual rights, freedom and privacy (well, second to North Korea) then he went straight to Russia, arguably the greatest and most productive spy industry in the world (just look at any of their technology, next to a picture of the US version that came first), that is run by a former spy (KGB) Colonel. And gave them everything he had - even if they just took it without his knowledge. Credibility?

    I'm glad that we now know about "metadata gathering" and "domestic surveillance" but to say he went about it the wrong way is an understatement.
    The way I see it is that either Snowden is naive as well hypocritical for going to China & Russia or he is smart as well hypocritical for going to places U.S. assets could not rendition him without setting off an international crisis not worthy of risking.

  10. #50
    Guru
    Ben K.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,717

    Re: Edward Snowden - Useful Idiot?u

    Quote Originally Posted by Geoist View Post
    What makes you think he expected an honest response from Putin?
    I don't think that. Read the post again.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •