Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 65

Thread: Smoking cannabis just once a week can damage young brains

  1. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Last Seen
    01-28-15 @ 06:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    5,587
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Smoking cannabis just once a week can damage young brains

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    So? Minors are not allowed to smoke pot, cigarettes, or drink alcohol.

    What's your point? That parents are incompetant?
    My parents were not incompetent, they just couldn't be around me 24/7.

  2. #22
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,968

    Re: Smoking cannabis just once a week can damage young brains

    The small sample size and admittedly inconclusive results are reasons to not make a huge deal out of this or think it's definitive:

    Peter Jones, professor of psychiatry at the University of Cambridge, said the study was interesting but inconclusive. "The research is limited as it is only a small study, it is not known whether the reported changes in the brain are necessarily bad. Furthermore, as they didn't measure the brains before and after, it's possible that people with a larger accumbens are more likely to take cannabis."
    Similarly however, a small sample size doesn't INHERENTLY mean it's WRONG. It's one thing to not take it as absolute proof. It's another thing to write it off completely.

    I never personally bought the notion it was somehow 100% safe in all fashions anyways. I've seen enough information regarding the possible triggering of underlying mental health issues, for example, to really make such a claim.

    That said, nothing in that study suggests to me...even if it was correct...that it's any more (or even as) harmful as a plethora of perfectly legal substances the government doesn't disallow a person from choosing to partake in. Nothing in the article suggest to me any reason why the substance should remain illegal, promoting a nanny state big government that expends significant tax payer funds with little significant gain.

  3. #23
    free market communist
    Gardener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    09-30-17 @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,661

    Re: Smoking cannabis just once a week can damage young brains

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    a lot of your left wing polls are decided by fewer then that
    I'm a bit surprised here, Navy.

    I had you pegged for a guy who would agree that size matters.
    Last edited by Gardener; 04-16-14 at 10:49 AM.
    "you're better off on Stormfront discussing how evil brown men are taking innocent white flowers." Infinite Chaos

  4. #24
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Smoking cannabis just once a week can damage young brains

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    The small sample size and admittedly inconclusive results are reasons to not make a huge deal out of this or think it's definitive:



    Similarly however, a small sample size doesn't INHERENTLY mean it's WRONG. It's one thing to not take it as absolute proof. It's another thing to write it off completely.

    I never personally bought the notion it was somehow 100% safe in all fashions anyways. I've seen enough information regarding the possible triggering of underlying mental health issues, for example, to really make such a claim.

    That said, nothing in that study suggests to me...even if it was correct...that it's any more (or even as) harmful as a plethora of perfectly legal substances the government doesn't disallow a person from choosing to partake in. Nothing in the article suggest to me any reason why the substance should remain illegal, promoting a nanny state big government that expends significant tax payer funds with little significant gain.
    I think you're right here Zyph....The bottom line is that more needs to be studied, and more will....Meanwhile, I have about 15 years to retirement, let's hope they get it straight by then, because I plan to enjoy my retirement with some healthy sized spliffs....
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  5. #25
    free market communist
    Gardener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    09-30-17 @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,661

    Re: Smoking cannabis just once a week can damage young brains

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post

    Similarly however, a small sample size doesn't INHERENTLY mean it's WRONG. It's one thing to not take it as absolute proof. It's another thing to write it off completely.

    I never personally bought the notion it was somehow 100% safe in all fashions anyways. I've seen enough information regarding the possible triggering of underlying mental health issues, for example, to really make such a claim.

    .

    I agree.

    I smoked a lot of dope when I was a teenager, and experimented with a number of other drugs, but stopped when I was in my late teens or early twenties. It's hard to say whether I was experiencing something I would have experienced anyway or whether it affected me in the long run since there is just no way of knowing, but my pet theory is that pot affects introverts and extroverts differently. In my case, it seemed like it accentuated the introversion to such a degree that the resulting overanalization of other people and self-reflection was paralyizing me. It was never paranoia per se, as I was always rational and had no delusions that people were against me or anything, but it was more of an identity crisis sort of thing.
    "you're better off on Stormfront discussing how evil brown men are taking innocent white flowers." Infinite Chaos

  6. #26
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,685

    Re: Smoking cannabis just once a week can damage young brains

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    40 person sample. And we're done.
    Can anybody else spot the irony here?
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

  7. #27
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,567

    Re: Smoking cannabis just once a week can damage young brains

    Quote Originally Posted by Jango View Post
    What is this study supposed to prove? It is already widely held and pretty much common knowledge that brains that are not fully developed should not be exposed to marijuana, or other brain chemical altering substances.

    It's sad that the people that generally **** all over marijuana are the types of people that dope their kids up on medications prescribed by doctors who typically have no idea about the long-term affects the little white pills will have on Johnny's brain, body and health when he gets older.
    The reality is that poorly educated people like Navy Pride by their very nature have to be told what to believe by others. That's why a natural plant is an evil abomination but the same chemicals in pill form created by a corporation are proper medicine.

    I have to wonder what any of these ****s would do if their kid was diagnosed with dravet's syndrome, where the kid will seizure hundreds of times a week and the only effective cure is cannabis oil.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  8. #28
    Guru
    Binary_Digit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 04:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,539

    Re: Smoking cannabis just once a week can damage young brains

    The study was funded, in part, by the fed (NIDA). That means it has to say something negative, or else it won't get that funding, and in-fact its whole purpose was likely to come up with something negative to say about MJ.

  9. #29
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,685

    Re: Smoking cannabis just once a week can damage young brains

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    The small sample size and admittedly inconclusive results are reasons to not make a huge deal out of this or think it's definitive:



    Similarly however, a small sample size doesn't INHERENTLY mean it's WRONG. It's one thing to not take it as absolute proof. It's another thing to write it off completely.

    I never personally bought the notion it was somehow 100% safe in all fashions anyways. I've seen enough information regarding the possible triggering of underlying mental health issues, for example, to really make such a claim.

    That said, nothing in that study suggests to me...even if it was correct...that it's any more (or even as) harmful as a plethora of perfectly legal substances the government doesn't disallow a person from choosing to partake in. Nothing in the article suggest to me any reason why the substance should remain illegal, promoting a nanny state big government that expends significant tax payer funds with little significant gain.
    Worth noting that this is a followup study to an earlier one that showed the same trend in people who heavily use pot. So it's not the same as a stand-alone study of 40 people.
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

  10. #30
    White trash on dope.
    d0gbreath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Denton, TX
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,875

    Re: Smoking cannabis just once a week can damage young brains

    Ah yes.

    Reefer madness Déjà vu.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •