Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 188

Thread: Casual marijuana use linked with brain abnormalities, study finds

  1. #61
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,253

    Re: Casual marijuana use linked with brain abnormalities, study finds

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    I don't know about everyone. But since I am a PhD physicist, I happen to know quite a few scientists and engineers. You might find it hilarious, but it's better than ditch digging.
    "Ditch digging" ?

    People that smoke dope daily, are chosing to go through life with a cognitive handicap, regardless of their education or how mamt degrees they've earned.

    And sorry but I'm calling BS on your'e alledged pot smoking PHD acquaintances.

    Engineers are a pretty specific brand of individial. I know because I've worked for several Aero-Space Contractors for the last 20 years.

    They are typically, quiet, highly intelligent and some are even borderline High Functioning Autistics, who take their abilities, knowledge and intelligence very seriously.

    Too seriously to throw caution to the wind and engage in a self destructive behaviour like smoking dope.
    The New Democratic Party Slogan :

    " Return to Power By Any Means Necessary "

  2. #62
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,567

    Re: Casual marijuana use linked with brain abnormalities, study finds

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    "Ditch digging" ?

    People that smoke dope daily, are chosing to go through life with a cognitive handicap, regardless of their education or how mamt degrees they've earned.

    And sorry but I'm calling BS on your'e alledged pot smoking PHD acquaintances.

    Engineers are a pretty specific brand of individial. I know because I've worked for several Aero-Space Contractors for the last 20 years.

    They are typically, quiet, highly intelligent and some are even borderline High Functioning Autistics, who take their abilities, knowledge and intelligence very seriously.

    Too seriously to throw caution to the wind and engage in a self destructive behaviour like smoking dope.
    So you just ignore my post to you about me being an engineer and smoking weed then continue on to characterize millions of engineers into one nice little stereotype you've created? And you think my brain is the one that's damaged?

    I've met a lot of idiotic conservatives so I guess it would be safe for me to say that all the millions of conservatives in the world are all idiots.
    Last edited by RabidAlpaca; 04-16-14 at 12:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  3. #63
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,685

    Re: Casual marijuana use linked with brain abnormalities, study finds

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    How is my career in danger? Are we such degenerate addicts that we all have to light up at work?
    Do you obtain it legally? If yes, did you always obtain it legally?

    I smoke weed because it drastically helps my genetic depression and with it has dramatically improved my life and relationships.
    Was this prescribed by a doctor or psychiatrist?

    Every male in my family has chronic depression that hasn't been treatable by antidepressants. (I became bat **** crazy on the last SSRI I was prescribed ) Some of us became alcoholics (my uncle drank himself to death), and my father is miserable every day. My brother and I both smoke most evenings and we have successful careers and full families and are genuinely happy.
    I would doubt the marijuana is the cause as much as the illness is the excuse, at least on my experience. For example, I'm sure you uncle was convinced the alcohol fix his depression.

    I'm not a doctor, but I am not a fan of most anti-depressants either. Most don't actually fix the bad thoughts, they just take away the emotions tied to the bad thoughts. I'm convinced that is why suicide rates increase on many anti-depressants. The patient still thinks about killing themselves while on the drug, the drug just takes away the fear of following through.

    I saw more success with cognitive treatments for depression. In some cases a placebo helped with the cognitive changes because it gives the patient an external focus to anchor on. I always wondered if the placebo effect was what people were seeing in their attempts to self medicate. Once convinced that X is the cure, using X allows them relief from their depression.


    So my question for you is, why do you think i should just remain miserable and depressed or drink myself into a coma instead of using a medication that improves my life? What would you have me do?
    I don't think you should remain miserable the rest of your life. I am saying that I think you downplay your own efforts too much and credit the marijuana too much. Much of what you think you are getting out of the marijuana you are actually accomplishing yourself and crediting to the marijuana. While marijuana has some effect on depression when stoned (as well as axiety and other disorders), it has also been shown to worsen depression when sober.. so if you are seeing lasting relief from depression when not stoned then that is all your doing.

    While I have seen some near miracles achieved with placebo in treating depression, the biggest trick in such treatment is getting the patient to replace the reverence they develop for the placebo with a reverence for themselves. At that point they become far more self sufficient and no longer dependent on external relief.
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

  4. #64
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,567

    Re: Casual marijuana use linked with brain abnormalities, study finds

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    Do you obtain it legally? If yes, did you always obtain it legally?



    Was this prescribed by a doctor or psychiatrist?



    I would doubt the marijuana is the cause as much as the illness is the excuse, at least on my experience. For example, I'm sure you uncle was convinced the alcohol fix his depression.

    I'm not a doctor, but I am not a fan of most anti-depressants either. Most don't actually fix the bad thoughts, they just take away the emotions tied to the bad thoughts. I'm convinced that is why suicide rates increase on many anti-depressants. The patient still thinks about killing themselves while on the drug, the drug just takes away the fear of following through.

    I saw more success with cognitive treatments for depression. In some cases a placebo helped with the cognitive changes because it gives the patient an external focus to anchor on. I always wondered if the placebo effect was what people were seeing in their attempts to self medicate. Once convinced that X is the cure, using X allows them relief from their depression.




    I don't think you should remain miserable the rest of your life. I am saying that I think you downplay your own efforts too much and credit the marijuana too much. Much of what you think you are getting out of the marijuana you are actually accomplishing yourself and crediting to the marijuana. While marijuana has some effect on depression when stoned (as well as axiety and other disorders), it has also been shown to worsen depression when sober.. so if you are seeing lasting relief from depression when not stoned then that is all your doing.

    While I have seen some near miracles achieved with placebo in treating depression, the biggest trick in such treatment is getting the patient to replace the reverence they develop for the placebo with a reverence for themselves. At that point they become far more self sufficient and no longer dependent on external relief.
    You don't seem to realize that there are many types of depression, and many of which are caused by chemical imbalances in the brain caused by genetically inherited conditions.

    The men in my family, myself included, are primarily depressed with out any reason whatsoever. At many, many times in my life my entire world has been great but I would still be horribly depressed.

    Your entire argument is that my depression is bull**** and I solved it through placebo. I can't help but think that you might fall into the category of people that thinks people with depression are just weak and lack will power.

    I will however return to my original question: Considering antidepressants have horrible effects on me and my relatives, while cannabis seems to have a dramatically positive effect on us, why should we stop and what treatment would you have us do it its place?

    Are you of the opinion that cannabis has no medical benefits or do you just think its use for depression is bull****?

    Also: Yes, cannabis has been recommended to me by a fully licensed psychiatrist that saw first hand the kind of horrible effects the antidepressants have had on me. However because we were not in a medical marijuana state she could not prescribe it. Shortly thereafter I smoked for the first time and within a few weeks of regular use the relief was extremely apparent.
    Last edited by RabidAlpaca; 04-16-14 at 01:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  5. #65
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,685

    Re: Casual marijuana use linked with brain abnormalities, study finds

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    You don't seem to realize that there are many types of depression, and many of which are caused by chemical imbalances in the brain caused by genetically inherited conditions.
    I am well aware.

    The men in my family, myself included, are primarily depressed with out any reason whatsoever.
    At many, many times in my life my entire world has been great but I would still be horribly depressed. [/QUOTE]

    That is actually pretty much the definition of clinical depression. It isn't clinical depression if you have a reason to be depressed.

    Your entire argument is that my depression is bull**** and I solved it through placebo. I can't help but think that you might fall into the category of people that thinks people with depression are just weak and lack will power.
    No, I don't think they or you are weak. I think they have an emotional disorder, which they do. I also think that quick fixes like anti-depressants have only made it worse for people suffering through depression. I've never been a fan of chemical fixes to chemical imbalances because I don't think it helps develop the proper coping skills.

    Obviously you think you need marijuana to cope with depression. I am saying you are much stronger than you give yourself credit for.

    I will however return to my original question: Considering antidepressants have horrible effects on me and my relatives, while cannabis seems to have a dramatically positive effect on us, why should we stop and what treatment would you have us do it its place?
    I would argue it is the absence of anti-depressants more than the presence of cannabis. I'm not a fan of anti-depressants, either.

    The trouble with anti-depressants, as I see it, is that on the one hand patients have been taught to trust the drug to fix them, so there is a bit of a placebo effect setup before the patient even takes the drug, but then the drug effects the patients emotional and cognitive functions, masking normal healthy defense mechanisms and substituting artificial means of coping. I like to describe the difference between an anti-depressant emotion and a natural emotion as the difference between a strawberry hard candy and a fresh strawberry.

    Are you of the opinion that cannabis has no medical benefits or do you just think its use for depression is bull****?
    I think as a placebo it is likely more effective than anti-depressants because it doesn't screw directly with your brain's serotonin the way most anti-depressants do. As an actual treatment of depression I think it is, well, no better than placebo, and with more side effects.
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

  6. #66
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,787

    Re: Study finds brain changes in young marijuana users

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    I knew the apologists would show up.
    Is that how you respond to factual information?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  7. #67
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,567

    Re: Casual marijuana use linked with brain abnormalities, study finds

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    I am well aware.





    That is actually pretty much the definition of clinical depression. It isn't clinical depression if you have a reason to be depressed.



    No, I don't think they or you are weak. I think they have an emotional disorder, which they do. I also think that quick fixes like anti-depressants have only made it worse for people suffering through depression. I've never been a fan of chemical fixes to chemical imbalances because I don't think it helps develop the proper coping skills.

    Obviously you think you need marijuana to cope with depression. I am saying you are much stronger than you give yourself credit for.



    I would argue it is the absence of anti-depressants more than the presence of cannabis. I'm not a fan of anti-depressants, either.

    The trouble with anti-depressants, as I see it, is that on the one hand patients have been taught to trust the drug to fix them, so there is a bit of a placebo effect setup before the patient even takes the drug, but then the drug effects the patients emotional and cognitive functions, masking normal healthy defense mechanisms and substituting artificial means of coping. I like to describe the difference between an anti-depressant emotion and a natural emotion as the difference between a strawberry hard candy and a fresh strawberry.



    I think as a placebo it is likely more effective than anti-depressants because it doesn't screw directly with your brain's serotonin the way most anti-depressants do. As an actual treatment of depression I think it is, well, no better than placebo, and with more side effects.
    Well, I guess you know more than the medical and neuroscience communities. Depression is just something people should will themselves out of as all chemicals are just placebos.

    So clearly I'm just emotionally disturbed. Maybe I was raped as a child and I just repressed it. Thanks doc.

    The brain functions through the secretion of chemicals that must interact in certain ways in order to properly function. If you have an imbalance in certain areas of your brain, you are going to have issues, and no amount of will power will change that.

    But by all means, don't let any patient testimonies interfere with your anti-cannabis crusade. We're all a bunch of unemployed degenerates anyway, amirite?
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  8. #68
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,787

    Re: Casual marijuana use linked with brain abnormalities, study finds

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    It's so funny how that point is made every time. Yet nobody really knows these people. LOL

    Every pot smoker I've ever known, which is several, has been riddled with all sort of personal issues and a life that is a fraction of what it could have been. They become consumed with it, and it dulls every bit of their ambition and productivity.
    I know plenty in the high tech industry and the medical profession. People making lots of $$$ and using their brains.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  9. #69
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,298

    Re: Study finds brain changes in young marijuana users

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Is that how you respond to factual information?
    What factual information was presented in the post I responded to?
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  10. #70
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,787

    Re: Study finds brain changes in young marijuana users

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    What factual information was presented in the post I responded to?
    He responded with fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •