Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 188

Thread: Casual marijuana use linked with brain abnormalities, study finds

  1. #21
    Guru
    HenryChinaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Chitown
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    3,536

    Re: Casual marijuana use linked with brain abnormalities, study finds

    Quote Originally Posted by LadyMoonlight View Post
    Anyone who thinks marijuana is harmless is a fool. Alcohol and marijuana are both equally dangerous drugs. The latest thing I read concerning marijuana is that it slowly breaks down the body's immune system.
    I just read a study that it's beneficial for diabetics as it's been found to control blood sugar.

  2. #22
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Casual marijuana use linked with brain abnormalities, study finds

    Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post
    Did you 'temporally' forget how to spell?
    Live by the auto-correct, die by the auto-correct.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  3. #23
    Guru
    The Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    York, Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:05 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,730

    Casual marijuana use linked with brain abnormalities, study finds

    Quote Originally Posted by LadyMoonlight View Post
    Anyone who thinks marijuana is harmless is a fool. Alcohol and marijuana are both equally dangerous drugs. The latest thing I read concerning marijuana is that it slowly breaks down the body's immune system.
    So then you also believe alcohol should be illegal?

    Tylenol slowly rots a person's liver, and it doesn't even make you feel good in the process. :dunno:

  4. #24
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,296
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Casual marijuana use linked with brain abnormalities, study finds

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    I laugh every time I hear from pot smokers that marijuana use is completely harmless compared to alcohol.
    Like any other mind altering substance there can be negative aspects to it's consumption.

    Even Coffee can have negative consequences if consumed too much.

    I worked over night shift at hotels for 2 years in a ski resort and I can tell you first hand that I'm getting to the point where I wish alcohol would be banned and I enjoy a beer more than anyone.

    So many people, throw their dignity away, these are good people, quite reasonable in everyday life that get wasted and think they can just do whatever they want, whenever they want regardless of how negatively they affect others.

    I have had to have so many intoxicated people arrested I lost count because they became incredibly abusive and in a couple of cases violent...

    Every single society, EVERY SINGLE ONE has had a drug, or a release, a vice that blows the steam off of society, in the Western World it's alcohol for the most part... but after my experience I've always said that I wish weed would become the mainstream... because then people would just eat chips and go to bed instead of trying to fight me because I asked what their last name was.

  5. #25
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Casual marijuana use linked with brain abnormalities, study finds

    Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post
    Did you 'temporally' forget how to spell?
    It takes time
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  6. #26
    Educator LadyMoonlight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    New South Wales, Australia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    845

    Re: Casual marijuana use linked with brain abnormalities, study finds

    Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post
    So then you also believe alcohol should be illegal?

    Tylenol slowly rots a person's liver, and it doesn't even make you feel good in the process. :dunno:
    I have been a teetotaler for most of my life as I consider alcohol to be an extremely dangerous drug. Yes, there are many legal drugs that damage the body as much as illegal drugs do. I think legalising drugs condones their use, but, I also know that banning them does not work either. Neither does education; with all the drug education in schools and anti-drug ad campaigns, people are well educated and nothing stops people taking drugs.

    My son-in-law believes that all drugs should be legal, however, if someone overdoses or needs medical help because they indulged, then it should be refused. You chose to take the drug, you choose to suffer the consequences of your actions because ambulances and medical personnel are needed for accidents or illnesses and should not have their time taken up treating people who chose to do drugs. I am almost starting to think his way. Social Darwinism at work...the weak who partake in recreational drugs (not drugs proscribed by a doctor for managing pain {if that drug is heroin for pain, or marijuana for pain, then that is different}, fall by the wayside and the strong who do not take recreational drugs thrive, prosper and lead society.

    I have not had alcohol for about 40 years, and never was a drinker beforehand. I don't even like alcohol in cooking. I have never taken marijuana in my life or tried anything else because I have never needed to. I quite like myself and get along well with myself so I have never needed to alter myself with drugs. Yes, I take medically proscribed drugs..perhaps that puts me on the same level as those who take recreational drugs in the minds of some people.

    I have never tasted coffee either....I can't stand the smell of coffee and have never been game enough to drink it.

    Edited because I forgot to add the coffee comment.

  7. #27
    Guru
    The Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    York, Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:05 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,730

    Re: Casual marijuana use linked with brain abnormalities, study finds

    Quote Originally Posted by LadyMoonlight View Post
    I have been a teetotaler for most of my life as I consider alcohol to be an extremely dangerous drug. Yes, there are many legal drugs that damage the body as much as illegal drugs do. I think legalising drugs condones their use, but, I also know that banning them does not work either. Neither does education; with all the drug education in schools and anti-drug ad campaigns, people are well educated and nothing stops people taking drugs.

    My son-in-law believes that all drugs should be legal, however, if someone overdoses or needs medical help because they indulged, then it should be refused. You chose to take the drug, you choose to suffer the consequences of your actions because ambulances and medical personnel are needed for accidents or illnesses and should not have their time taken up treating people who chose to do drugs. I am almost starting to think his way. Social Darwinism at work...the weak who partake in recreational drugs (not drugs proscribed by a doctor for managing pain {if that drug is heroin for pain, or marijuana for pain, then that is different}, fall by the wayside and the strong who do not take recreational drugs thrive, prosper and lead society.

    I have not had alcohol for about 40 years, and never was a drinker beforehand. I don't even like alcohol in cooking. I have never taken marijuana in my life or tried anything else because I have never needed to. I quite like myself and get along well with myself so I have never needed to alter myself with drugs. Yes, I take medically proscribed drugs..perhaps that puts me on the same level as those who take recreational drugs in the minds of some people.

    I have never tasted coffee either....I can't stand the smell of coffee and have never been game enough to drink it.

    Edited because I forgot to add the coffee comment.
    I agree, anyone who overdoses on marijuana should be left to die.

  8. #28
    Assassin
    Verax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    9,519

    Re: Casual marijuana use linked with brain abnormalities, study finds

    Quote Originally Posted by LadyMoonlight View Post
    Anyone who thinks marijuana is harmless is a fool. Alcohol and marijuana are both equally dangerous drugs. The latest thing I read concerning marijuana is that it slowly breaks down the body's immune system.
    Oh really? Wow what a coincidence that two completely different molecules (marijuana and alcohol) with extremely different chemical action in the human body just happen to be "equally dangerous".

    You can overdose on alcohol and die, with marijuana you can't.

    Heavy alcohol abuse destroys your liver and can lead to cancer. It's terrible on the stomach and brain as well. Whether or not marijuana causes significant harm to the brain has not been proven. It also has not been proven to cause lung cancer (though one would assume it could contribute minimally).

    Some people under the influence of alcohol can become violent and aggressive and pose a serious risk. Nobody gets stoned and beats up their family or assaults a police officer.

    Heavily intoxicated drivers are extremely dangerous behind the wheel and cause thousands of accidents. Marijuana is exponentially less detrimental to driving than alcohol (though still impaired and somewhat dangerous).

    So how is it that alcohol and marijuana are equally dangerous?

  9. #29
    Educator LadyMoonlight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    New South Wales, Australia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    845

    Re: Casual marijuana use linked with brain abnormalities, study finds

    Quote Originally Posted by Verax View Post
    Oh really? Wow what a coincidence that two completely different molecules (marijuana and alcohol) with extremely different chemical action in the human body just happen to be "equally dangerous".

    You can overdose on alcohol and die, with marijuana you can't.

    Heavy alcohol abuse destroys your liver and can lead to cancer. It's terrible on the stomach and brain as well. Whether or not marijuana causes significant harm to the brain has not been proven. It also has not been proven to cause lung cancer (though one would assume it could contribute minimally).

    Some people under the influence of alcohol can become violent and aggressive and pose a serious risk. Nobody gets stoned and beats up their family or assaults a police officer.

    Heavily intoxicated drivers are extremely dangerous behind the wheel and cause thousands of accidents. Marijuana is exponentially less detrimental to driving than alcohol (though still impaired and somewhat dangerous).

    So how is it that alcohol and marijuana are equally dangerous?
    Just because those who smoke marijuana are not violent, does not mean that the drug is not causing damage.

  10. #30
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,878

    Re: Casual marijuana use linked with brain abnormalities, study finds

    "heavy cannabis use"

    So, who assumes chain smokers and alcoholics are healthy or have 'normal brains?'

    If you abuse ANY substance there will likely be health consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •