Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 35

Thread: Perry hires lawyer for inquiry into veto threat

  1. #1
    Sage
    Somerville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    On an island. Not that one!
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:28 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    9,843

    Perry hires lawyer for inquiry into veto threat

    Aww, the ultimate "good ol' boy" apparently tried to use his gubernatorial power in an unlawful manner

    Perry hires lawyer for inquiry into veto threat

    AUSTIN -- Texas Gov. Rick Perry has hired a high-profile Austin defense lawyer to represent him in an investigation into whether he illegally withheld money from the Travis County District Attorney’s office.

    KVUE News and the Austin American-Statesman confirmed Sunday evening the hiring of David L. Botsford.

    The hiring comes as a special Travis County grand jury is set to be seated Monday to hear evidence into whether Perry broke state laws concerning bribery, coercion and abuse of authority.
    “And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Govt will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.”
    ~ James Madison, letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822

  2. #2
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 11:47 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,073

    Re: Perry hires lawyer for inquiry into veto threat

    And you conveniently leave out the part of the DA's drunk driving arrest. Predictable.

    And I don't like Perry at all, so this is no defense of him.

  3. #3
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 04:30 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,569
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Perry hires lawyer for inquiry into veto threat

    This is nothing new in Texas. If budgets are cut or salary raised denied, the underlings claim it is extortion and bribery.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Perry hires lawyer for inquiry into veto threat

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    This is nothing new in Texas. If budgets are cut or salary raised denied, the underlings claim it is extortion and bribery.
    Yes but the case in hand is whether the veto was retaliatory. I don't know what the specific veto laws are for the state, but if there are laws that are against it he could be in trouble.

    It sounds like a he said she said thing so that's what needs to be proven.

  5. #5
    Sage
    Somerville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    On an island. Not that one!
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:28 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    9,843

    Re: Perry hires lawyer for inquiry into veto threat

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    And you conveniently leave out the part of the DA's drunk driving arrest. Predictable.

    And I don't like Perry at all, so this is no defense of him.

    How was the DUI charge relevant to Perry's attempt to shut down the an investigative unit in the DA's office?

    from the linked article
    When she refused, Perry in June vetoed a state budget item that would have given a $7.5 million allocation to the Public Integrity Unit in the District Attorney’s Office. The unit investigates ethics violations against public officials.
    NOW isn't this interesting? Perry refused to pay for a unit that investigates "ethics violations" Could there have been an ongoing investigation he wanted to stop and just used the stupidity of a DA to stop the investigation? Inquiring minds want to know.
    “And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Govt will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.”
    ~ James Madison, letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822

  6. #6
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 04:30 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,569
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Perry hires lawyer for inquiry into veto threat

    Veto power is just that, veto power. Unless Perry wanted something personal for himself, he can use veto power for any governmental purpose he wants. Cutting of the budget of an agency isn't bribery or corruption UNLESS there is a personal gain for Perry - for which there was not.

    Probably his logic is that if DA wouldn't hold herself to public integrity, then that DA doesn't need a Public Integrity Unit.

  7. #7
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    US, California - federalist
    Last Seen
    11-12-16 @ 10:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,485

    Re: Perry hires lawyer for inquiry into veto threat

    All of this is not good anecdotal evidence for line item veto for chief magistrates.

  8. #8
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,193

    Re: Perry hires lawyer for inquiry into veto threat

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    Veto power is just that, veto power. Unless Perry wanted something personal for himself, he can use veto power for any governmental purpose he wants. Cutting of the budget of an agency isn't bribery or corruption UNLESS there is a personal gain for Perry - for which there was not.

    Probably his logic is that if DA wouldn't hold herself to public integrity, then that DA doesn't need a Public Integrity Unit.
    There is gain for Perry if they can't investigate him.

    I don't see what the DA's DUI has to do with it. Can every defense lawyer in Austin use that in their case now?


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  9. #9
    Sage
    AliHajiSheik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,390

    Re: Perry hires lawyer for inquiry into veto threat

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    There is gain for Perry if they can't investigate him.

    I don't see what the DA's DUI has to do with it. Can every defense lawyer in Austin use that in their case now?
    The article mentions the DUI as the reason the overall bill was vetoed. I don't see how a governor vetoing a spending bill from the legislature can be illegal, but I don't live in Texas.

  10. #10
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,193

    Re: Perry hires lawyer for inquiry into veto threat

    Quote Originally Posted by AliHajiSheik View Post
    The article mentions the DUI as the reason the overall bill was vetoed. I don't see how a governor vetoing a spending bill from the legislature can be illegal, but I don't live in Texas.
    And now that it's been vetoed, there won't be any consequences for the DA either. It was probably all legal that he vetoed it, but you do wonder a little about why he did. It really doesn't make any sense to me - the DA had a DUI, therefore I'll defund their investigation unit???


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •