Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 44

Thread: Social Security, Treasury target taxpayers for their parentsí decades-old debts

  1. #31
    Guru
    Joe Steel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    St. Louis, Missouri, USA
    Last Seen
    05-11-16 @ 07:36 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    3,054

    Re: Social Security, Treasury target taxpayers for their parentsí decades-old debts

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Why are you so quick to let the government off the hook? If they cannot prove their claim, they should go forward to begin with.
    The policy does seem unfair but it wouldn't had the proper procedures been available.
    Proud to be a tax and spend leftist.

    Proud supporter of the real Second Amendment.

  2. #32
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:54 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,399

    Re: Social Security, Treasury target taxpayers for their parentsí decades-old debts

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Steel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Why are you so quick to let the government off the hook? If they cannot prove their claim, they should go forward to begin with.
    The policy does seem unfair but it wouldn't had the proper procedures been available.
    In the interest of full disclosure, I should point out that I mis-typed. I meant to say... If they cannot prove their claim, they shouldn't go forward to begin with.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  3. #33
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,013

    Re: Social Security, Treasury target taxpayers for their parentsí decades-old debts

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    Social Security, Treasury target taxpayers for their parents’ decades-old debts - The Washington Post

    "A few weeks ago, with no notice, the U.S. government intercepted Mary Grice’s tax refunds from both the IRS and the state of Maryland. Grice had no idea that Uncle Sam had seized her money until some days later, when she got a letter saying that her refund had gone to satisfy an old debt to the government — a very old debt.

    When Grice was 4, back in 1960, her father died, leaving her mother with five children to raise. Until the kids turned 18, Sadie Grice got survivor benefits from Social Security to help feed and clothe them.

    Now, Social Security claims it overpaid someone in the Grice family — it’s not sure who — in 1977. After 37 years of silence, four years after Sadie Grice died, the government is coming after her daughter. Why the feds chose to take Mary’s money, rather than her surviving siblings’, is a mystery.
    "

    I have a sneaking suspicion that this will cost the Government far more in legal fees then they actually collected....
    I wish this happened to me so I could sue the govt. I imagine some lawyer would be chomping at the bit to take this case on commission, assuming the details are as simple as the appear. Then again I cant imagine the govt paying legal fees of someone suing the them.

  4. #34
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,013

    Re: Social Security, Treasury target taxpayers for their parentsí decades-old debts

    Quote Originally Posted by Bonzi View Post
    The government made a mistake that is clear but did Mary Grice ever attempt herself to fix it. Personally I don't think they should be coming after the daughter but the blame goes both ways. I mean if an cashier gave me more change back then I was suppose to get, my own values should prompt me to return it.
    The correct metaphor is that the cashier gave someone else more change back, and then charged you extra because of it.

  5. #35
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:54 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,399

    Re: Social Security, Treasury target taxpayers for their parentsí decades-old debts

    Someone please clarify this for me...

    As I understand it, the government is going after Person B for Person A's old debt. Is that correct?

    Person B being the daughter of Person A.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  6. #36
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,438

    Re: Social Security, Treasury target taxpayers for their parentsí decades-old debts

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    Exactly. The fact that the government is trying to bill someone on incomplete information is just asking to be sued. What can they offer in discovery other than an "I have no idea"?
    But most people won't sue because they can't afford a lawyer. I am sure the IRS knows this.

  7. #37
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,438

    Re: Social Security, Treasury target taxpayers for their parentsí decades-old debts

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    I wish this happened to me so I could sue the govt. I imagine some lawyer would be chomping at the bit to take this case on commission, assuming the details are as simple as the appear. Then again I cant imagine the govt paying legal fees of someone suing the them.
    Are you sure any lawyer would want to make an enemy of the IRS?

  8. #38
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,438

    Re: Social Security, Treasury target taxpayers for their parentsí decades-old debts

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    The correct metaphor is that the cashier gave someone else more change back, and then charged you extra because of it.
    The correct metaphor is that the cashier gave someone else more change back 37 years ago, and then charged you extra because of it.

    There, fixed it for you.

  9. #39
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,732

    Re: Social Security, Treasury target taxpayers for their parentsí decades-old debts

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    I wish this happened to me so I could sue the govt. I imagine some lawyer would be chomping at the bit to take this case on commission, assuming the details are as simple as the appear. Then again I cant imagine the govt paying legal fees of someone suing the them.
    Probably not - government is very good at protecting government from lawsuit, and limiting the payouts. Add to that functionally unlimited resources aligned against you when you sue the Feds, these are tough cases to win and make money on.

  10. #40
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:54 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,399

    Re: Social Security, Treasury target taxpayers for their parentsí decades-old debts

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason66 View Post
    Are you sure any lawyer would want to make an enemy of the IRS?
    Litigation is incredibly expensive. And whether it's the feds, or the state, or a local government that is effecting questionable laws, they all know this. I have no proof, but I believe they knowingly go ahead anyway because the chances of them actually being called on it are pretty slim, odds-wise.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •