Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 44

Thread: Social Security, Treasury target taxpayers for their parentsí decades-old debts

  1. #21
    Wee Nyeff
    GottaGo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    In the now
    Last Seen
    05-23-17 @ 02:58 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,311

    Re: Social Security, Treasury target taxpayers for their parentsí decades-old debts

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Steel View Post
    You're right. If that's the law, that's the law; but we wouldn't need to worry about limitations if the government had the resources to keep good records. We'd know immediately what happened and could resolve the issue.
    So, because the government made a mistake 30-some-odd years ago, another generation should have to pony up for their mistake? It has nothing to do with 'limitations'.

    Just as with any entity, you sign off clear on a 'contract', it's a done deal, you can't go back years later and tell them to make good on it.
    Building block or stumbling block.... choose.

  2. #22
    Guru
    Joe Steel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    St. Louis, Missouri, USA
    Last Seen
    05-11-16 @ 07:36 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    3,054

    Re: Social Security, Treasury target taxpayers for their parentsí decades-old debts

    Quote Originally Posted by GottaGo View Post
    So, because the government made a mistake 30-some-odd years ago, another generation should have to pony up for their mistake? ...
    I don't know that the government made a mistake. The overpayment very well may have been consistent with the know facts at the time. Only later, when more information became available, would the overpayment have been discovered. If the government can make case for overpayment based on the agreed facts, it should present it. Then, possibly, the debtor wouldn't need to produce any records.

    As for signing-off, apparently Congress changed their mind. That's why they rescinded the 10 year limit on collections.
    Proud to be a tax and spend leftist.

    Proud supporter of the real Second Amendment.

  3. #23
    Wee Nyeff
    GottaGo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    In the now
    Last Seen
    05-23-17 @ 02:58 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,311

    Re: Social Security, Treasury target taxpayers for their parentsí decades-old debts

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Steel View Post
    I don't know that the government made a mistake. The overpayment very well may have been consistent with the know facts at the time. Only later, when more information became available, would the overpayment have been discovered. If the government can make case for overpayment based on the agreed facts, it should present it. Then, possibly, the debtor wouldn't need to produce any records.

    As for signing-off, apparently Congress changed their mind. That's why they rescinded the 10 year limit on collections.
    The debtor is DEAD. How can it possibly be legal to go after someone else for the money?
    Building block or stumbling block.... choose.

  4. #24
    User
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    1

    Re: Social Security, Treasury target taxpayers for their parentsí decades-old debts

    The government made a mistake that is clear but did Mary Grice ever attempt herself to fix it. Personally I don't think they should be coming after the daughter but the blame goes both ways. I mean if an cashier gave me more change back then I was suppose to get, my own values should prompt me to return it.

  5. #25
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 11:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,356

    Re: Social Security, Treasury target taxpayers for their parentsí decades-old debts

    Quote Originally Posted by AliHajiSheik View Post
    Aside from the amount of time that passed, this is the doozy: "itís not sure who".
    Yeah, that jumped right out there! Strange that they were absolutely certain that it was okay to take her refund, though! You can't make this stuff up!

    Greetings, AliHajiSheik.

  6. #26
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,697

    Re: Social Security, Treasury target taxpayers for their parentsí decades-old debts

    Quote Originally Posted by Bonzi View Post
    The government made a mistake that is clear but did Mary Grice ever attempt herself to fix it. Personally I don't think they should be coming after the daughter but the blame goes both ways. I mean if an cashier gave me more change back then I was suppose to get, my own values should prompt me to return it.
    How would she have any idea that the IRS over paid her mother when she was a child at the time?
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

  7. #27
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,753

    Re: Social Security, Treasury target taxpayers for their parentsí decades-old debts

    What?

    Something seems waaaaay off about this.

    How can it possibly be legal to take money from someone who had nothing to do with the original issue?
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  8. #28
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,697

    Re: Social Security, Treasury target taxpayers for their parentsí decades-old debts

    Mystery solved! The IRS used to have a 10 year statute of limitations on collecting on debts. The latest Farm bill eliminated that statute.

    Because, you know, farming....
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

  9. #29
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: Social Security, Treasury target taxpayers for their parentsí decades-old debts

    Heard on the radio this morning that the SSA will no longer go after debts older than 10 years, even if they can legally.

    Still doesn't satisfy me, though. If they cannot provide solid evidence/proof, regardless the reason, then they shouldn't even go after the person to begin with.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  10. #30
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: Social Security, Treasury target taxpayers for their parentsí decades-old debts

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Steel View Post
    You're right. If that's the law, that's the law; but we wouldn't need to worry about limitations if the government had the resources to keep good records. We'd know immediately what happened and could resolve the issue.
    Why are you so quick to let the government off the hook? If they cannot prove their claim, they should go forward to begin with.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •