Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 44

Thread: Social Security, Treasury target taxpayers for their parentsí decades-old debts

  1. #11
    Wee Nyeff
    GottaGo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    In the now
    Last Seen
    05-23-17 @ 02:58 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,311

    Re: Social Security, Treasury target taxpayers for their parentsí decades-old debts

    Quote Originally Posted by buck View Post
    Cmon, you really think he was serious? Like the spending cuts were just so big that they can spend x amount of hours to determine someone was over paid, but can't take the extra few minutes to determine who was overpaid? No one could really believe that, right? Obviously the "who was overpaid" is lost to time. He knows that, which is why he was being funny.
    Actually, I did think he was serious. I've seen some really loose screws on this board......
    Building block or stumbling block.... choose.

  2. #12
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,812

    Re: Social Security, Treasury target taxpayers for their parentsí decades-old debts

    Quote Originally Posted by GottaGo View Post
    Actually, I did think he was serious. I've seen some really loose screws on this board......
    Yeah, you're probably right. I guess it takes all kinds...

  3. #13
    Guru
    Joe Steel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    St. Louis, Missouri, USA
    Last Seen
    05-11-16 @ 07:36 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    3,054

    Re: Social Security, Treasury target taxpayers for their parentsí decades-old debts

    Quote Originally Posted by GottaGo View Post
    How about blaming it on an inept overzealous government flunky, where the blame belongs?
    This whole problem is easy to understand and easy to fix -- keep good records. If the government had the resources, that would be no problem.
    Proud to be a tax and spend leftist.

    Proud supporter of the real Second Amendment.

  4. #14
    Sage
    Lutherf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,640

    Re: Social Security, Treasury target taxpayers for their parentsí decades-old debts

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Steel View Post
    Blame this on the "austerians," the politicians and their flunkies who constantly are demanding spending cuts and lean budgets. If the government had the staff and resources to dig-out the details of over-payments, they wouldn't have to just pick someone almost at random to pay the debt.
    I suppose that the other option would be for the government to just take everything and dole out whatever they feel is appropriate.....right?

  5. #15
    Wee Nyeff
    GottaGo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    In the now
    Last Seen
    05-23-17 @ 02:58 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,311

    Re: Social Security, Treasury target taxpayers for their parentsí decades-old debts

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Steel View Post
    This whole problem is easy to understand and easy to fix -- keep good records. If the government had the resources, that would be no problem.
    Of course it's easy to fix. It's called Statutes of Limitations.

    If the government cannot produce the documentation to verify their claim, they cannot go after anyone for the supposed overpayment. They can seek recompense from the Estate of the received, but once the Estate has been filed and closed, they have no legal method of reclaiming the overpayment.

    By enacting a Statute of Limitations, it prevents travesties such as this.
    Building block or stumbling block.... choose.

  6. #16
    Guru
    Joe Steel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    St. Louis, Missouri, USA
    Last Seen
    05-11-16 @ 07:36 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    3,054

    Re: Social Security, Treasury target taxpayers for their parentsí decades-old debts

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    I suppose that the other option would be for the government to just take everything and dole out whatever they feel is appropriate.....right?
    That's a different subject. While I support high marginal tax rates, the average rate would be nowhere near taking everything.
    Proud to be a tax and spend leftist.

    Proud supporter of the real Second Amendment.

  7. #17
    Guru
    Joe Steel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    St. Louis, Missouri, USA
    Last Seen
    05-11-16 @ 07:36 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    3,054

    Re: Social Security, Treasury target taxpayers for their parentsí decades-old debts

    Quote Originally Posted by GottaGo View Post
    Of course it's easy to fix. It's called Statutes of Limitations.

    If the government cannot produce the documentation to verify their claim, they cannot go after anyone for the supposed overpayment. They can seek recompense from the Estate of the received, but once the Estate has been filed and closed, they have no legal method of reclaiming the overpayment.

    By enacting a Statute of Limitations, it prevents travesties such as this.
    You're right. If that's the law, that's the law; but we wouldn't need to worry about limitations if the government had the resources to keep good records. We'd know immediately what happened and could resolve the issue.
    Proud to be a tax and spend leftist.

    Proud supporter of the real Second Amendment.

  8. #18
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,812

    Re: Social Security, Treasury target taxpayers for their parentsí decades-old debts

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Steel View Post
    You're right. If that's the law, that's the law; but we wouldn't need to worry about limitations if the government had the resources to keep good records. We'd know immediately what happened and could resolve the issue.
    From 1977? Very unlikely that funding was the issue. I work for a large company that has been around a long time. When I first started with the company, one of my jobs was locating old paperwork in our warehouses often in response to a lawsuit. We would find a lot of them, but there were also a lot of them that could never be located no matter how long we looked. Things were done very differently back then...

  9. #19
    Guru
    Joe Steel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    St. Louis, Missouri, USA
    Last Seen
    05-11-16 @ 07:36 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    3,054

    Re: Social Security, Treasury target taxpayers for their parentsí decades-old debts

    Quote Originally Posted by buck View Post
    From 1977? Very unlikely that funding was the issue. I work for a large company that has been around a long time. When I first started with the company, one of my jobs was locating old paperwork in our warehouses often in response to a lawsuit. We would find a lot of them, but there were also a lot of them that could never be located no matter how long we looked. Things were done very differently back then...
    No one said it would be easy.
    Proud to be a tax and spend leftist.

    Proud supporter of the real Second Amendment.

  10. #20
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,812

    Re: Social Security, Treasury target taxpayers for their parentsí decades-old debts

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Steel View Post
    No one said it would be easy.
    Likely not even possible from way back then, at least in many cases. This was before wide use of computers.

    Now, you ask us to locate something, and there will be hardly any problem. It all gets scanned in and saved.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •