Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 184

Thread: Under fire, Brandeis cancels plan to honor anti-Islam feminist Ayaan Hirsi Ali

  1. #71
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:56 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,415

    Re: Brandeis University withdraws planned honorary degree for Islam critic Ayaan Hirs

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    This truly unbelievable and outrageous at the lengths the left will go through to prevent free speech. Where is NOW? where are all the Hollywood liberals..........The silence is deafening... God bless this brave woman.


    Brandeis University withdraws planned honorary degree for Islam critic Ayaan Hirsi Ali | Fox News
    I agree that Ali is a notable person and doing her the courtesy would have seemed a proper thing to do. But the University is private and free to do what they like. So outrage at the decision is not really legit. Just don't send your kids there.

  2. #72
    Educator

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Jordan
    Last Seen
    10-02-17 @ 06:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,220

    Re: Under fire, Brandeis cancels plan to honor anti-Islam feminist Ayaan Hirsi Ali

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    That actually confirms what I said, I am not sure why you link it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    That's quite true, but there isn't a Muslim majority in the US.
    A meaningless distinction.
    مثلي مثلك

  3. #73
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Under fire, Brandeis cancels plan to honor anti-Islam feminist Ayaan Hirsi Ali

    Quote Originally Posted by L0neW0lf View Post
    That actually confirms what I said, I am not sure why you link it.
    No, it does not. Read all of the link.
    A meaningless distinction.
    Again, you are wrong. Where there is a majority of Muslims in any country the women suffer to varying degrees. In the USA they don't have the numbers to enforce their religious laws so they must follow locals laws instead. Given the numbers Muslims would follow the same laws and customs against women that they use elsewhere.

  4. #74
    onomatopoeic
    mbig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-17 @ 08:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,350

    Re: Under fire, Brandeis cancels plan to honor anti-Islam feminist Ayaan Hirsi Ali

    Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf
    Islam's main source is basically a plagiarized short version of the bible. Anything that you can come up with that is horrible from Islamic teaching can probably be matched to something from the bible, I don't see why you do not therefor allow for Muslims to be hypocrites about their religions like you allow Christians and Jews to be.
    Completely Illogical in the service of the misleading.
    It's true that the Koran Plagiarized alot of the Bible.
    It is irrelevant, however, to a myriad of OTHER violent instructions and invocations against, ie, Jews.
    The Islamic/Mohammedan narrative, Unlike the Bible, includes his early struggles with the Jews: a still extant religion/people.
    And there is so Much More as well which is NOT in any way like, ie, the NT.
    Muslims today still cite these passages.

    Quote Originally Posted by LOneWolf
    American Muslims are less likely to be violent or support violence against civilians than the average American Christian or Jewish person, If they want to believe that their religion is one of peace they should be entitled to, they are hardly the only hypocrites when it comes to their religion, its no different than alll the people who claim that the Westboro Baptist Church is not a true representative of Christianity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post

    That's quite true, but there isn't a Muslim majority in the US.
    Actually it's Completely False as well as Misleading/strawman.

    Note that L0newolf has dramatically and selectively narrowed the discussion of Islam/Muslims in General to "American Muslims".
    Of course, that TINY Percent of the population/ummah is Bound by Our laws.. Here.. and is NOT a statement as to the general character of Islam that Hirsi-Ali/We WERE talking about.

    Nonetheless, app 200 Muslims have been arrested Here and 50+ Terror plots foiled (2001-2012)
    http://www.heritage.org/research/rep...r-on-terrorism

    and that's just his strawman little group.
    The fact is, and as I stated previously in this very string:
    Quote Originally Posted by mbig to soot #12
    Then again, Your "NY/NJ" area experience with Islam (and Less than .1% of it's adherents) might not be as representative as hers!
    Doncha think?
    It's certainly Tiny compared to the population of Muslims in just the countries you mention/Concede above.

    Your post is what we call the 'anecdote fallacy', be it witting or unwitting.

    Because Muslims worldwide, Favor (with mostly Large majorities down to Significant minorities), things like Sharia law, specifically including it's most Barbaric punishments. (Pew et al)

    Ayaan has also lived in Europe, being a former Dutch parliament member.
    Her opinions Not limited to just Islam's treatment of women, but it's overall character.
    and
    Quote Originally Posted by mbig #22 to sooot, unanswered
    So you admit your experience in the "NY/NJ" area, now USA overall, even West overall, is NOT representative. Yet now, and definitely aware you are Misleading, ask the strawman 'how many' in the America/West' anyway.
    Again, How many Muslims of the 1.5 Billion live in the US/EU?
    1%-2% Restricted by our laws.

    Ooops.

    And again, Sharia, is just another example of Islam's general intolerance. Islam is not just about Women, Not just about Sharia.

    What IS happening (in further demo of the "nihilistic death cult" beyond killing apostates, adulterers, gays, etc), Is the Persecution, Cleansing, and Killing of Non-Muslims and Muslims of other sects WORLDWIDE.
    Not just by 'terror' groups, but my Mainstream Muslims and their Governments from Mauritania to Mindinao.

    Many people are persecuted, cleansed, or die Every day in the Name of Islam.

    BTW, Singapore is Not a Muslim country.
    But - and thx for mentioning it - it's former leader, Lee Kuan Yew, had plenty to say on Muslim Intolerance and lack of willingness to integrate there.
    (links available)

    Bush was an apologist for Islam, as are many in government necessarily.
    They can't tell the truth, that these 'Extremist' muslims are in fact not perverting the religion at all.
    ie, for many years, bin Laden was the most popular man in the Muslim world.
    Unlike in Christianity or Judaism, Literalism is Mainstream in Islam.

    Practising Muslim reformer Irshad Manji:

    ".....The trouble with Islam today is that Literalism is Mainstream.
    Even Moderate Muslims take the Koran as the final word of God: unfiltered, unchanged and Unchangeable.
    This Supremacy complex inhibits us from asking hard questions about what happens when faith becomes dogma
    .
    Such a path can lead only to a dead end of more Violence...."
    The Australian: Irshad Manji: Denial is scourge of Islam [Aug 23, 2005]

    And like Hirsi Ali, Manji lives behind bullet-proof glass... even in Canada.
    Last edited by mbig; 04-13-14 at 07:32 PM.
    I'm personally sick of not being able to dunk a basketball because of racism.
    anon

  5. #75
    free market communist
    Gardener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    09-30-17 @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,661

    Re: Under fire, Brandeis cancels plan to honor anti-Islam feminist Ayaan Hirsi Ali

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    I see we have another example of right wingers demonstrating their failure to understand the First Amendment, and how it doesn't limit private entities.

    My goodness,how these definitions have changed. When I was a kid, those who supported preventing a woman of color from speaking out against misogyny were the right wingers.

    "you're better off on Stormfront discussing how evil brown men are taking innocent white flowers." Infinite Chaos

  6. #76
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Under fire, Brandeis cancels plan to honor anti-Islam feminist Ayaan Hirsi Ali

    Quote Originally Posted by Gardener View Post
    My goodness,how these definitions have changed. When I was a kid, those who supported preventing a woman of color from speaking out against misogyny were the right wingers.

    A good point but in fact it has always been left wingers who try to silence any opposition. This is no different than it was a century ago.

  7. #77
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Under fire, Brandeis cancels plan to honor anti-Islam feminist Ayaan Hirsi Ali

    Quote Originally Posted by Gardener View Post
    My goodness,how these definitions have changed. When I was a kid, those who supported preventing a woman of color from speaking out against misogyny were the right wingers.

    Umm, no one prevented her from speaking.

    Brandeis just refused to give her an honorary award.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  8. #78
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Under fire, Brandeis cancels plan to honor anti-Islam feminist Ayaan Hirsi Ali

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Umm, no one prevented her from speaking.

    Brandeis just refused to give her an honorary award.
    You feel she wouldn't have had a chance to speak after accepting the award?

  9. #79
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,089

    Re: Under fire, Brandeis cancels plan to honor anti-Islam feminist Ayaan Hirsi Ali

    Ali isn't just a critic of Islam. She's gone against many other religions:

    Ayaan Hirsi Ali - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Hirsi Ali supported the move by the Dutch courts to abrogate the party subsidy to a conservative Protestant Christian political party, the Political Reformed Party (SGP), which did not grant full membership rights to women and still withholds passive voting rights from female members. She stated that "any political party discriminating against women or homosexuals should be deprived of funding."[95]
    In the Netherlands about half of all education has historically been provided by sponsored religious schools, most of them Catholic or Protestant. Ayaan Hirsi Ali said in November 2003 that no religious school should receive government financing,[citation needed] which brought her into conflict with Hans Wiegel, a prominent former VVD leader.
    As for Israel's problems, Hirsi Ali says, "From my superficial impression, the country also has a problem with fundamentalists. The ultra-Orthodox will cause a demographic problem because these fanatics have more children than the secular and the regular Orthodox."
    Her attitudes are really not that different than the average run of the mill American atheist's who isn't so much against religion but in favor of a secular society. This is the same person who supports a ban on religious schools, criticizes the state of Israel as having a problem with its Ultra-Orthodox groups and wouldn't think twice about attacking the American right wing for its views on homosexuality and women's rights. Painting her an as an Anti-Islamic feminist is pretty self serving of the same crowd that infests the ME forum.
    Last edited by Hatuey; 04-14-14 at 02:23 AM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  10. #80
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,781

    Re: Brandeis University withdraws planned honorary degree for Islam critic Ayaan Hirs

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverDad View Post
    Another one who has never heard the concept of "lie of omission" nor the concept of "absence of evidence is not evidence of absence." There is enough data in the article which can be combined with general knowledge regarding liberal love of speech oppression and kowtowing to identity group grievances to support the argument that liberals caved to Muslim grievance mongers. You being a pedant is something that we have to tolerate, same with your delusions that you're actually making a valid point.
    And yet you nor anyone else has proven any evidence that liberals did anything. If you want to claim "absence of evidence is not evidence of absence" then you have to have some actual evidence, not your typical, silly, and false partisan hack suppositions, none of which have any credibility. And your comments about speech oppression demonstrate that conservatives really have no idea what the First Amendment means. This is not surprising since their general knowledge of the Constitution is practically nil.

    You want to demonstrate what a hack you are with every post you make, I can show just how silly and stupid your assertions are by making the exact same OPPOSITE assertions with the same evidence that you present... either none or inaccurate.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •