Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 184

Thread: Under fire, Brandeis cancels plan to honor anti-Islam feminist Ayaan Hirsi Ali

  1. #11
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:47 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,706

    Re: Under fire, Brandeis cancels plan to honor anti-Islam feminist Ayaan Hirsi Ali

    Quote Originally Posted by soot View Post
    No Muslim women that I know feel that Islam is a "destructive, nihilistic cult of death".

    Of course, most of the Muslim women I know live and work in the NY/NJ area.

    Ms. Ali's experience with Islam in Somalia, Saudi Arabia, and Kenya might be significantly different.

    If so, I would think that he argument with Islam might be tied to practice of the religion within Middle Eastern or African social/cultural/economic/political paradigm.

    You don't need to spend a lot of time scouring the world's information resources to find plentiful examples of women (and children) in the Middle Eastern or African world being treated like property (at best).

    Since Muslims in the West generally don't practice a "destructive, nihilistic cult of death" brand of Islam, but people in the Middle Eastern or African regardless of religion seem to have a penchant for turning darn near anything into a "destructive, nihilistic cult of death", maybe we should be looking at the regions where destructive Islam is practiced rather than at the religion itself?
    yes they don't live in the middle east. in the middle east still women are still considered property. stonings and honor kills still happen on frequent basis.
    the only reason it isn't practiced here is because we have laws against such things.

    althought that hasn't stopped it from happening. there have been stories here and there about honor killings and such in the US.

  2. #12
    onomatopoeic
    mbig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-17 @ 08:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,350

    Re: Under fire, Brandeis cancels plan to honor anti-Islam feminist Ayaan Hirsi Ali

    Quote Originally Posted by soot View Post
    No Muslim women that I know feel that Islam is a "destructive, nihilistic cult of death".
    Of course, most of the Muslim women I know live and work in the NY/NJ area.
    Ms. Ali's experience with Islam in Somalia, Saudi Arabia, and Kenya might be significantly different.


    If so, I would think that he argument with Islam might be tied to practice of the religion within Middle Eastern or African social/cultural/economic/political paradigm.

    You don't need to spend a lot of time scouring the world's information resources to find plentiful examples of women (and children) in the Middle Eastern or African world being treated like property (at best).

    Since Muslims in the West generally don't practice a "destructive, nihilistic cult of death" brand of Islam, but people in the Middle Eastern or African regardless of religion seem to have a penchant for turning darn near anything into a "destructive, nihilistic cult of death", maybe we should be looking at the regions where destructive Islam is practiced rather than at the religion itself?
    Then again, Your "NY/NJ" area experience with Islam (and Less than .1% of it's adherents) might not be as representative as hers!
    Doncha think?
    It's certainly Tiny compared to the population of Muslims in just the countries you mention/Concede above.

    Your post is what we call the 'anecdote fallacy', be it witting or unwitting.

    Because Muslims worldwide, Favor (with mostly Large majorities down to Significant minorities), things like Sharia law, specifically including it's most Barbaric punishments. (Pew et al)
    Ayaan has also lived in Europe, being a former Dutch parliament member.
    Her opinions Not limited to just Islam's treatment of women, but it's overall character.
    Last edited by mbig; 04-11-14 at 03:26 PM.
    I'm personally sick of not being able to dunk a basketball because of racism.
    anon

  3. #13
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    01-15-15 @ 03:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,578

    Re: Under fire, Brandeis cancels plan to honor anti-Islam feminist Ayaan Hirsi Ali

    Quote Originally Posted by mbig View Post
    There is no greater force for Muzzling Free speech in America than Liberal Academia.
    Brandeis, a liberal and Jewish-sponsored high end institution, has hosted Israel critics and anti-semites, but has withdrawn it's invitation to honor the Heroic Ayaan Hirsi Ali at it's commencement.

    As well as being a critic of Radical Islam, She has said some critical things about Islam in general. Yup, and all True they are too.

    The Snakes at CAIR apparently had a big hand in the withdrawal.


    Under fire, Brandeis cancels plan to honor anti-Islam feminist Ayaan Hirsi Ali
    Under fire, Brandeis cancels plan to honor anti-Islam feminist Ayaan Hirsi Ali (+video) - CSMonitor.com
    (+video)
    Ayaan Hirsi Ali, a former member of the Dutch Parliament, is known for her feminist work but also for her criticism of Islam, which she called a 'destructive, nihilistic cult of death.'
    By Elizabeth Barber, Staff Writer / April 9, 2014


    `

    Also
    Islam Critic: Brandeis Turned Honor Into a Shaming

    Islam Critic: Brandeis Turned Honor Into a Shaming - ABC News

    and many more we will hopefully get to down the string.
    This bigoted woman's free speech is intact....anyone saying differently doesn't understand the concept.

  4. #14
    onomatopoeic
    mbig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-17 @ 08:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,350

    Re: Under fire, Brandeis cancels plan to honor anti-Islam feminist Ayaan Hirsi Ali

    Quote Originally Posted by 1750Texan View Post
    Brandeis University is not the arbiter of free speech. By Brandeis choosing to have an anti-radical Islamic critic not speak at commencement in no way limits the critics ability to speak to thousands of other forums in which her words would be heard; is in no way a limit of free speech.
    For you and sangha...
    I did specifically criticize "Brandeis" and "Liberal Academia", NOT the USA re 'Free Speech', perhaps more accurately, preventing the hearing of diversity of opinion on campus.
    Partially outlined/documented by eohrnberger his post on the last page.

    I see few are willing to take up the Actual issue raised, instead going for the Strawman about the National right of such.
    Last edited by mbig; 04-11-14 at 03:39 PM.
    I'm personally sick of not being able to dunk a basketball because of racism.
    anon

  5. #15
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    01-15-15 @ 03:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,578

    Re: Under fire, Brandeis cancels plan to honor anti-Islam feminist Ayaan Hirsi Ali

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Calling Islam a destructive, nihilistic cult of death is freedom of speech and not such a great exaggeration as far as women, her main issue, is concerned.
    Yes it is an exaggeration.........most of the issues she has are pre-Islamic practices........

    If Muslims want to upgrade their image they might first do something about their infamous treatment of women, rather than attacking people who dare speak out about it.
    .

    And while this statement makes no sense in the real world it certainly does in the fictional world of people who believe that women are second class citizens in Islam. Despite the fact the women have led Muslim countries including the country with the most Muslims in world.


    Hirsa Ali is one of the bravest people in the world and under constant threat from Muslims trying to kill her. She needs 24 hour protection from them.
    Yes and that is terrible and I condemn those who want to kill her.

    Brandeis made their move out of fear from Islamists, just as the media and Comedy Central folded for the same reasons when they were threatened. The MSM stopped reporting Muslim atrocities long ago.
    No Brandeis moved to not give an honor to a bigot.

  6. #16
    Educator

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Jordan
    Last Seen
    10-02-17 @ 06:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,220

    Re: Under fire, Brandeis cancels plan to honor anti-Islam feminist Ayaan Hirsi Ali

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    yes they don't live in the middle east. in the middle east still women are still considered property.
    Really? I should go promptly inform my sisters and my mother that they are my property, it looks like they've been pulling a fast one on me.

    I wonder how I should honor kill them? decisions, decisions.
    مثلي مثلك

  7. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Under fire, Brandeis cancels plan to honor anti-Islam feminist Ayaan Hirsi Ali

    Quote Originally Posted by Sababa View Post
    Yes it is an exaggeration.........most of the issues she has are pre-Islamic practices........
    That is untrue. She was also a victim of these practices
    And while this statement makes no sense in the real world it certainly does in the fictional world of people who believe that women are second class citizens in Islam. Despite the fact the women have led Muslim countries including the country with the most Muslims in world.
    This women leadership excuse is used often to demonstrate equaliy of women, or something, and it might be quite different for women from more prosperous and educated families. But women with less status are definitely treated little better than cattle.

    Yes and that is terrible and I condemn those who want to kill her.
    Wonderful! You should condemn openly and honestly, as Hirsi Ali does, but you know you would have to remain under guard from excited Muslims 24 hours a day for the rest of your life.

    No Brandeis moved to not give an honor to a bigot.
    Hirsi Ali is a bigot??? Are you certain you understand the meaning of the world? Those who silence her and want to murder her are the obvious bigots. Muslims, as is well known, are the most numerous bigots in the world.

  8. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Seen
    06-24-16 @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,073

    Re: Under fire, Brandeis cancels plan to honor anti-Islam feminist Ayaan Hirsi Ali

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    I see we have another example of right wingers demonstrating their failure to understand the First Amendment, and how it doesn't limit private entities.
    Just wondering where the outrage is from groups like National Organization of Women? If this woman had claimed to have been abused by Baptists she would already be the poster child for the feminist left.

  9. #19
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:47 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,706

    Re: Under fire, Brandeis cancels plan to honor anti-Islam feminist Ayaan Hirsi Ali

    Quote Originally Posted by L0neW0lf View Post
    Really? I should go promptly inform my sisters and my mother that they are my property, it looks like they've been pulling a fast one on me.

    I wonder how I should honor kill them? decisions, decisions.
    You are not the father and if they lived in Iran, and saudi arbia and other areas yes they would be treated that way.

  10. #20
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,550
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Under fire, Brandeis cancels plan to honor anti-Islam feminist Ayaan Hirsi Ali

    Quote Originally Posted by Del Zeppnile View Post
    Just wondering where the outrage is from groups like National Organization of Women? If this woman had claimed to have been abused by Baptists she would already be the poster child for the feminist left.
    And here is the glaring huge hypocrisy that has taken over a large chunk of the American culture. There are the privileged who can be forgiven anything, who will have their racist, bigoted, prejudicial, sexist, hateful comments justified because of 'circumstances' or ignored as unimportant because the person is politically correct. And then there are those who can't use a twitch or facial expression in disapproval of something ordained 'good' by the left, who will have every syllable they utter scoured for something that is politically incorrect, and who can be disparaged by any means because they hold the 'wrong' attitudes or views.

    There was a time when universities invited everybody from the most zealous communist to the most strident Birchers to speak on college campuses, and the speakers were attended and treated politely and with respect by their audiences. And then the professors would engage us in our opinions, perceptions, and observations about what the speakers offered. As such we learned to think critically and objectively about what we heard and read and observed and it made us much better educated people than those who are indoctrinated with what it is proper and acceptable to believe and think.

    It is too bad that universities are now such close minded, authoritarian places that no longer educate but indoctrinate. And the fact that this is due to fear of violence by others makes it even more tragic.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •