Page 59 of 142 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169109 ... LastLast
Results 581 to 590 of 1412

Thread: Feds move in on Nevada rancher's herd over illegal grazing

  1. #581
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,410

    Re: Feds move in on Nevada rancher's herd over illegal grazing

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    And you're obviously fine with hypocrisy....
    Where is the hypocrisy in my argument? It is a shared resource. We all own public land, we all even get to weigh in on how its managed as public land management is subject to public hearing and comment. For example, I support the concept of public access to publicly owned lakes. Does that make me a hypocrite if I also believe that you should pay a yearly fishing license to fish that lake and thus contribute to the management and stocking of that lake?
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  2. #582
    Paying To Play
    AJiveMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    wisconSIN
    Last Seen
    05-15-15 @ 04:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,775

    Re: Feds move in on Nevada rancher's herd over illegal grazing

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    So ceasing payments wasn't sufficient 'faux outrage'? Are you suggesting that he isn't outraged unless he takes up arms? Seems that's more the government's position than it is Bundy's.
    I'm not suggesting anything, except that I'd read somewhere that Clyde stopped paying in 1993. I have not a clue as to his motives for not paying his bills.
    But, as I said before, if federal agents show up on someone's doorstep, or ranch to confiscate items for payment, they usually show up expecting trouble, that's a given. It angers people that their property is about to be seized, you don't need a picture to figure that out.

    Local law enforcement possibly tipped off federal officers about his attitude. Who knows what transpired during the alleged seizure.

  3. #583
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Colorado mountains
    Last Seen
    01-03-15 @ 08:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,729

    Re: Feds move in on Nevada rancher's herd over illegal grazing

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    The communist concept of the old song that you libs loved so much in the 60s of "This land is your land, this land is my land...." All bull **** depending on who's boy is in office I see.
    Really? the BLM has been in existence since 1946.

  4. #584
    Bat Chain Puller
    beefheart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    The burning sands of the desert southwest.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    19,352

    Re: Feds move in on Nevada rancher's herd over illegal grazing

    Quote Originally Posted by Federalist View Post
    Bundy? I wasn't referring to Bundy.

    I was simply making an observation about sycophantic government bootlickers and how they would have denounced the militiamen at Concord bridge as nut-jobs and a fanatic fringe element. These extremist fanatics were, after all, bringing arms to bear against government employees over a simple disagreement over public policy.
    You exhibit all the worst stereotypes of the tea party, you only operate on anger and outrage, facts be damned. The feds have won this in court a few times, he is a freeloading hypocrite.
    "Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

  5. #585
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Colorado mountains
    Last Seen
    01-03-15 @ 08:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,729

    Re: Feds move in on Nevada rancher's herd over illegal grazing

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    That song is from the 40's
    Woody Guthrie 1940

  6. #586
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    42,895

    Re: Feds move in on Nevada rancher's herd over illegal grazing

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    The communist concept of the old song that you libs loved so much in the 60s of "This land is your land, this land is my land...." All bull **** depending on who's boy is in office I see.
    Sorry, amigo, but the facts of the case simply don't bear out for this guy. He's in the wrong. You can attempt to make liberals feel guilty all you want, but it's not going to work.
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  7. #587
    Bat Chain Puller
    beefheart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    The burning sands of the desert southwest.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    19,352

    Re: Feds move in on Nevada rancher's herd over illegal grazing

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    You're new here so ... duh. Hyperbole is a way of life on DP.



    So now welfare is bad.
    Now you really have run out of arguments, your all too self important "seniority" is almost as lame as your argument.

    Your seniority does not make you a better poster, but if you need to believe that.....LOL
    "Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

  8. #588
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    01-27-15 @ 11:37 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,247

    Re: Feds move in on Nevada rancher's herd over illegal grazing

    Quote Originally Posted by beefheart View Post
    You exhibit all the worst stereotypes of the tea party, you only operate on anger and outrage, facts be damned. The feds have won this in court a few times, he is a freeloading hypocrite.
    As I said, I'm not talking about Bundy.

  9. #589
    Paying To Play
    AJiveMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    wisconSIN
    Last Seen
    05-15-15 @ 04:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,775

    Re: Feds move in on Nevada rancher's herd over illegal grazing

    Many people assume, since most of the western landscape is given over to livestock production, that ranching must be economically important. But, as economist Thomas Power points out in the opening essay of this section, the livestock industry contributes almost nothing to western economies, even at the local level.

    Despite the cowboy's image as a rugged, independent individual, a host of government subsidies keep him propped up in the saddle. The western rancher is dependent on what is, in essence, a welfare program. The much-publicized low fees paid by ranchers to graze federal lands are only the beginning. Other subsidies include taxpayer-supported research at western land grant universities and agricultural exemptions that lower property taxes paid by ranchers. There are handouts to help with nearly every problem: drought relief, low-interest agricultural loans, emergency livestock feed programs, emergency grazing on Conservation Reserve Program lands, to name a few. Even many of the fences crisscrossing the West's "open" spaces are paid for by American taxpayers.
    All of this back and forth debating is almost laughable when people begin saying it's liburuls to blame for Clyde's plight.

    But I'll just bet Clyde has applied for and received some welfare from Uncle Sam, this is just a portion of what options are open to ranchers to get them through tough times.

    I wonder how much money Clyde has accepted from the government he so dislikes?

    http://farm.ewg.org/progdetail.php?f...code=livestock

  10. #590
    Bat Chain Puller
    beefheart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    The burning sands of the desert southwest.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    19,352

    Re: Feds move in on Nevada rancher's herd over illegal grazing

    Quote Originally Posted by Federalist View Post
    As I said, I'm not talking about Bundy.
    So I am bad because I support the rule of law and respect the findings from court cases?

    You want anarchy, provided it is the anarchy you agree with.
    "Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •