Page 25 of 142 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575125 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 250 of 1412

Thread: Feds move in on Nevada rancher's herd over illegal grazing

  1. #241
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,397

    Re: Feds move in on Nevada rancher's herd over illegal grazing

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    It seems to have ended peacefully enough for now but perhaps they'll look more closely to these situations in the future, not just from a legal pov but also from a philosophical and moral one.
    Agreed. While I think he forfeited his moral high ground, I do have to say that it pleased me to see so many come to support him. If for no other reason than to show the government that we're getting sick of their tactics.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  2. #242
    Paying To Play
    AJiveMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    wisconSIN
    Last Seen
    05-15-15 @ 04:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,775

    Re: Feds move in on Nevada rancher's herd over illegal grazing

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    That is an issue also if it involves public land use.
    Public use is usually defined as BLM or Forest/Grassland, government owned. While I have never seen the BLM charge someone for camping on it, or using it for their personal pleasures of fishing, boating and camping, some forested lands and some grasslands and national monument areas do charge service fees to the public. The key to utilizing public land is knowing where you are on the map, and your map interpretation skills.

    Mining for minerals or gems on a grand scale on public lands is not considered personal use. Sometimes, people forget that.

  3. #243
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Seen
    06-24-16 @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,073

    Re: Feds move in on Nevada rancher's herd over illegal grazing

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Libertarian: The philosophy that the purpose of government is to protect our rights. I have a right to use public lands. So do you. The problem comes when your use of the land impinges on my use of the land, or vice versa. If I want to bring back the practice of hydraulic mining, for example, my use of the land just might impinge on you if you'd like to use it for hunting or fishing. When that happens, the government has to regulate the lands we all own in common so that we can all use the lands. Proper use of the land costs money for the construction of trails, roads, bridges, fences, etc. It is only right that the users of public lands pay those costs. The taxpayer shouldn't have to pay to have a parking lot paved on our local BLM lands so I can go there, park my truck, and hike around or hunt quail. It's only right that I and my fellow hunters/hikers/mountain bikers pay that cost. Same with cattle grazing. I don't really need fences to hunt quail, find them a nuisance in fact, but the cattle rancher needs them, and should pay for them.
    Bundy was paying the fees until the point where the BLM changed the rules, supposedly to protect turtles. But the BLM doesn't stop at turtles, the BLM and the Feds impose regulations to supposedly protect rocks, weeds, pine needles, insects, tadpoles and air too on Federal land. I'm not convinced that is the real reason.

  4. #244
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,505

    Re: Feds move in on Nevada rancher's herd over illegal grazing

    Quote Originally Posted by Del Zeppnile View Post
    Bundy was paying the fees until the point where the BLM changed the rules, supposedly to protect turtles. But the BLM doesn't stop at turtles, the BLM and the Feds impose regulations to supposedly protect rocks, weeds, pine needles, insects, tadpoles and air too on Federal land. I'm not convinced that is the real reason.
    I thought he quit paying the fees back in '93. Isn't that what the posts above said? The BLM decided not to allow grazing at all due to the desert tortoise, or so they said. By that time, he was already in arrears with his fees.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  5. #245
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Feds move in on Nevada rancher's herd over illegal grazing

    Quote Originally Posted by Del Zeppnile View Post
    Bundy was paying the fees until the point where the BLM changed the rules, supposedly to protect turtles. But the BLM doesn't stop at turtles, the BLM and the Feds impose regulations to supposedly protect rocks, weeds, pine needles, insects, tadpoles and air too on Federal land. I'm not convinced that is the real reason.
    It's not, especially in this case....In this case it is about Harry Reid, and his son, and ex staffer underhandedly focusing the power of the federal government on this rancher so that he can benefit his political donors....
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  6. #246
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Feds move in on Nevada rancher's herd over illegal grazing

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    I thought he quit paying the fees back in '93. Isn't that what the posts above said? The BLM decided not to allow grazing at all due to the desert tortoise, or so they said. By that time, he was already in arrears with his fees.
    How much land does the government claim to lord over in Nevada? Do you know?
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  7. #247
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Feds move in on Nevada rancher's herd over illegal grazing

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Agreed. While I think he forfeited his moral high ground, I do have to say that it pleased me to see so many come to support him. If for no other reason than to show the government that we're getting sick of their tactics.
    Part of the reason why so many people supported this rancher is that the government has been overstepping its boundaries with the political use of the IRS, misleading the people on Benghazi, Fast and Furious, the demonizing of people who offer different opinions, and the overall feeling that the government has been usurping too much power from the people, with Obamacare being a significant part of that.

    I expect this armed militaristic response to a rancher will have an effect on the upcoming elections. The USA needs new leadership, that's certain.

  8. #248
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Feds move in on Nevada rancher's herd over illegal grazing

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    How much land does the government claim to lord over in Nevada? Do you know?
    This article gives some stats for the entire west USA. UPDATE: Why the BLM is Standing Down in Cliven Bundy Dispute

  9. #249
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,505

    Re: Feds move in on Nevada rancher's herd over illegal grazing

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    How much land does the government claim to lord over in Nevada? Do you know?
    We, the people own quite a large percentage of the land in Nevada. We own quite a bit in California, as well. I'm not in favor of giving it away, though, are you?
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  10. #250
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,397

    Re: Feds move in on Nevada rancher's herd over illegal grazing

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Part of the reason why so many people supported this rancher is that the government has been overstepping its boundaries with the political use of the IRS, misleading the people on Benghazi, Fast and Furious, the demonizing of people who offer different opinions, and the overall feeling that the government has been usurping too much power from the people, with Obamacare being a significant part of that.

    I expect this armed militaristic response to a rancher will have an effect on the upcoming elections. The USA needs new leadership, that's certain.
    Agree again. I would only add that this overstepping has been increasing and building over the course of multiple decades and multiple administrations.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •