Page 35 of 49 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast
Results 341 to 350 of 487

Thread: Darrell Issa: Emails suggest Elijah Cummings prompted IRS targeting[W:130, 252, 358 ]

  1. #341
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: Issa uncovers the smoking gun int he IRS targeting of conservatives

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    And this matters because..?
    It matters I suppose because the Republicans are claiming or implying that this made money problems for them.


  2. #342
    Guru

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:16 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,670

    Re: Issa uncovers the smoking gun int he IRS targeting of conservatives

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Wrong answer, my friend...
    Donations to 501c4s

    Yes, you make a good point. However, you seem to have skipped over some important bits.
    Contributions to civic leagues or other section 501(c)(4) organizations generally are not deductible as charitable contributions for federal income tax purposes. They may be deductible as trade or business expenses, if ordinary and necessary in the conduct of the taxpayer’s business. However, see Nondeductible Lobbying and Political Expenditures for more information. Also, the organization may be required to disclose that contributions are not deductible when it solicits contributions.

    Donations to volunteer fire companies are deductible as charitable contributions on the donor’s federal income tax return, but only if made for exclusively public purposes. Similarly, contributions to certain war veterans organizations are deductible. If the contributions are deductible as charitable contributions, substantiation and disclosure requirements may apply.

    So yes, donations to 501c4s can be deducted as a valid business expense IF they're ordinary and necessary in the conduct of that business, (you left that part out), AND if the donation is not used in any way to influence elections, participate in any political campaign, attempt to influence the public with respect to elections, legislative matters, or referendums, or support communication with covered executive branch officials in an attempt to influence actions or positions.

    So your point is noted; but it's not applicable to political groups acting as 501c4s.

  3. #343
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: Issa uncovers the smoking gun int he IRS targeting of conservatives

    Quote Originally Posted by Grim17 View Post
    After the revelations I've heard in the last 2 days, not only is the IRS not "not a scandal", it is far, far worse and more corrupt then I had imagined.

    Normally I would confront those on the left and expect condemnation, which of course almost never comes... not this time though. I have come to the realization that this level of political corruption and abuse of power for political gain, won't be condemned by the Democrats in Washington, or by most liberals and progressives, because this is exactly the kind of government they actually want to have. They want this type of abuse of power to crush anyone who opposes their agenda.

    Congratulations goes out to everyone on the left... Your efforts to silence criticism by any means, reached heights that never in my life would I have ever imagined you would have, so my hat's off too you... This is what you have wanted, and you damned sure got it... Of course my condolences go out to the overwhelming majority of freedom-loving Americans who have just learned that the country is far closer to the communist dictatorship and socialist ****hole that the left has supported and pushed for, than they ever imagined it was.

    <rant off>
    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    They'll start caring about this the day after election day 2016 the same way Harry Reid's view of the filibuster will change the day after election day 2014.
    Inappropriate Criteria Were Used to Identify Tax-Exempt Applications for Review


  4. #344
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,649

    Re: Issa uncovers the smoking gun int he IRS targeting of conservatives

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    It matters I suppose because the Republicans are claiming or implying that this made money problems for them.
    Because the law was applied unevenly in favor of liberal and progressive organizations.

    It's surreal watching the left scream bloody murder about how the Citizens United SCOTUS decision ended free elections forever and then watch them try and argue that the uneven application of the very law that Citizens United expanded is no big deal.
    Last edited by jmotivator; 04-10-14 at 04:01 PM.
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

  5. #345
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: Issa uncovers the smoking gun int he IRS targeting of conservatives

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    Because the law was applied unevenly in favor of liberal and progressive organizations.
    I don't think so. There were many Tea Party, 9/12, Patriots organizations being formed after the Citizen's United decision was rendered.
    The law says the organizations must be exclusively for "social welfare" and frankly this is not what Karl Rove's organization American Crossroads GPS was meant for.


  6. #346
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,224

    Re: Issa uncovers the smoking gun int he IRS targeting of conservatives

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    I don't think so. There were many Tea Party, 9/12, Patriots organizations being formed after the Citizen's United decision was rendered.
    The law says the organizations must be exclusively for "social welfare" and frankly this is not what Karl Rove's organization American Crossroads GPS was meant for.
    Then why the lies and 5th ammendment pleas ?
    The New Democratic Party Slogan :

    " Return to Power By Any Means Necessary "

  7. #347
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,158

    Re: Issa uncovers the smoking gun int he IRS targeting of conservatives

    Actually number 3...Lerner using her personal email account to conduct business is probably the only thing that will stick. It also shows why she pleaded the 5th...because when Republicans aren't concerned with facts or the truth...they just want to bring someone down.
    “Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.” John Maynard Keynes

  8. #348
    Sage
    mak2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Last Seen
    07-08-16 @ 01:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,050

    Re: Issa uncovers the smoking gun int he IRS targeting of conservatives

    I do think they are begining to realize there is no evidence, at least at this point. I rember the day I relaized the RWers were BSing me. Ah, but that is for another thread...
    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen View Post
    Actually number 3...Lerner using her personal email account to conduct business is probably the only thing that will stick. It also shows why she pleaded the 5th...because when Republicans aren't concerned with facts or the truth...they just want to bring someone down.
    God Bless the Marine Corps.

  9. #349
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,224

    Re: Issa uncovers the smoking gun int he IRS targeting of conservatives

    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen View Post
    Actually number 3...Lerner using her personal email account to conduct business is probably the only thing that will stick. It also shows why she pleaded the 5th...because when Republicans aren't concerned with facts or the truth...they just want to bring someone down.
    Nonsense. 24 Consecutive 5th ammendment pleas over unauthorized E-mail access ?

    If this were just about her using her work E-mail account for private business it would have been settled internally.

    Nice try.

    This is about Democrats getting Busted big time ans their supporters not having the humility or in integrity to admit it
    The New Democratic Party Slogan :

    " Return to Power By Any Means Necessary "

  10. #350
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,158

    Re: Issa uncovers the smoking gun int he IRS targeting of conservatives

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    Nonsense. 24 Consecutive 5th ammendment pleas over unauthorized E-mail access ?

    If this were just about her using her work E-mail account for private business it would have been settled internally.

    Nice try.

    This is about Democrats getting Busted big time ans their supporters not having the humility or in integrity to admit it
    First of all I'm not sure how this is about "Democrats"...because everything seems to be focused primarily on Lerner and how she managed the department that handled exemptions.

    Second of all....maybe Congress should of provided some sort of guidance to the IRS on how to handle all these organizations applying as social welfare groups. They didn't...so either Lerner could just rubber stamp everyone or provide extra scrutinize to organizations that were overtly political....like Tea Party groups. I want to point out they also "targeted" groups that had overtly political names on the left.

    Progressive and Occupy where "singled" out as well. Only one political group was ever denied the status....a left leaning group.

    Your dreams of impeaching Obama and overriding the national will aren't going to happen....sorry....
    “Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.” John Maynard Keynes

Page 35 of 49 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •