Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 43

Thread: Man cleared of NYC murder after 25 years in prison

  1. #11
    Reactor Janitor
    Joby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Olympic Peninsula
    Last Seen
    10-24-17 @ 12:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    2,276

    Re: Man cleared of NYC murder after 25 years in prison

    Not to mention one of the biggest changes in the last few decades: DNA Analysis. When Texas began releasing men who had served decades in prison on false rape charges, it became apparent that eyewitness accounts were completely worthless and did nothing, usually, except flame the stokes of the jury's anger.

    Few things could be worse than doing years in a Texas Prison for rape (god forbid of a minor). Doing years in a Texas Prison for a rape you didn't commit has to be one of them.
    down for you is up

  2. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Last Seen
    08-02-17 @ 02:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,375

    Re: Man cleared of NYC murder after 25 years in prison

    real shame here... poor guy.. glad at least he can reclaim his life..

  3. #13
    Professor
    JoeTrumps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Memphis
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 09:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,570

    Re: Man cleared of NYC murder after 25 years in prison

    man runs the government. man is(and will always be) flawed. ergo government(e.i. the prison system) is(and will always be) flawed. ergo(i.e. et al) will be flawed is what I'm trying to say

  4. #14
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,080

    Re: Man cleared of NYC murder after 25 years in prison

    Quote Originally Posted by CycloneWanderer View Post
    Sounds like another case of false eyewitness identification.
    You should read the article again. The prosecutor deliberately kept information that would have exonerated the man.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  5. #15
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,432

    Re: Man cleared of NYC murder after 25 years in prison

    Quote Originally Posted by Kreton View Post
    No justice system is going to be perfect. Innocent people are going to be wrongly convicted. That being said it would be far less likely to happen should prosecutors and police be less worried about getting a conviction and more worried about getting the right person convicted justly.
    Agreed... and they would be more concerned with getting the right person if they didn't enjoy immunity.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  6. #16
    Professor

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    06-21-17 @ 12:55 PM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    1,577

    Re: Man cleared of NYC murder after 25 years in prison

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    You should read the article again. The prosecutor deliberately kept information that would have exonerated the man.
    I doubt there is a conviction by a jury if there wasn't a false identification. It's one of the most powerful pieces of evidence. If you want anyone to blame for information being withheld at trial, blame the judge. The judge is the one who decides whether or not evidence reaches trial. If a prosecutor purposefully withheld exonerating evidence they'd be disbarred or be in jail.

  7. #17
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,080

    Re: Man cleared of NYC murder after 25 years in prison

    Quote Originally Posted by CycloneWanderer View Post
    I doubt there is a conviction by a jury if there wasn't a false identification. It's one of the most powerful pieces of evidence. If you want anyone to blame for information being withheld at trial, blame the judge. The judge is the one who decides whether or not evidence reaches trial. If a prosecutor purposefully withheld exonerating evidence they'd be disbarred or be in jail.
    The eyewitness account would have been proven false by the evidence kept from the defense.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  8. #18
    Professor

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    06-21-17 @ 12:55 PM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    1,577

    Re: Man cleared of NYC murder after 25 years in prison

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    The eyewitness account would have been proven false by the evidence kept from the defense.
    What evidence was that?

  9. #19
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: Man cleared of NYC murder after 25 years in prison

    Quote Originally Posted by Travis007 View Post
    real shame here... poor guy.. glad at least he can reclaim his life..
    Can he?
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  10. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Man cleared of NYC murder after 25 years in prison

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman123 View Post
    There need to be more severe and more consistently applied penalties to prosecutors and police who deliberately withhold information and unethically pursue prosecutions.
    Agreed. Individuals need to be held personally accountable with criminal charges. Currently the government settles a lawsuit and the guilty individuals responsible for the wrongful conviction go unpunished. Too many DAs appear to care more about their conviction stats for the next election than doing what is right and just.

    There also needs to be tighter rules on police procedures used to make a case. Witness identifications can be significantly more accurate with better procedures. Also, all interrogations of suspects should be video recorded. Such measures were proposed in California and not surprisingly the police unions successfully lobbied to kill them.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •