Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 231

Thread: Anti-Tech Protesters Target VC With Vulgar Flyer

  1. #171
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Anti-Tech Protesters Target VC With Vulgar Flyer

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    How exactly did this turn into yet another discussion about how Obama is an eeeeeeeevil soshulist, anyway?
    Why do leftists so frequently feel the need to talk like hillbillies? Is it a throwback thing?

  2. #172
    Sage
    Glen Contrarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Bernie to the left of me, Hillary to the right, here I am...
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    15,538

    Re: Anti-Tech Protesters Target VC With Vulgar Flyer

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Why do leftists so frequently feel the need to talk like hillbillies? Is it a throwback thing?
    No - but some of us (like myself) grew up in the Deep South and could and did talk a bit like that. But no, the 'thing' is that to an extent he's imitating (whether knowingly nor not) the Church Lady.
    To do evil, a human being must first of all believe that what hes doing is good" - Solzhenitsyn

    "...with the terrorists, you have to take out their families." - Donald Trump

  3. #173
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:47 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,706

    Re: Anti-Tech Protesters Target VC With Vulgar Flyer

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Truth View Post
    When "prosperity" only benefits a few people it does not improve the overall quality of life for a community, it can harm it.
    It isn't benefiting a few people thousands of people work for those companies so evidently it is being a good source of income for a lot of people.
    again if the people protesting did something like i don't know get the skills to maybe work for those companies they to could enjoy the benefits.

    you cry about good wage jobs then when they come you cry about something else. there is no pleasing the leftist of this country.

  4. #174
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Anti-Tech Protesters Target VC With Vulgar Flyer

    What's especially precious about this particular protest is that it reveals that either these folks aren't from the Bay Area or they are ignorant of it's history. Long before there was a tech industry San Fran and the Bay Area was like this. A blend of feast and famine.

  5. #175
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Anti-Tech Protesters Target VC With Vulgar Flyer

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    No - but some of us (like myself) grew up in the Deep South and could and did talk a bit like that. But no, the 'thing' is that to an extent he's imitating (whether knowingly nor not) the Church Lady.
    It seemed more like a character from Deliverance.

  6. #176
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Anti-Tech Protesters Target VC With Vulgar Flyer

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    How would it harm the community? Usually when prosperity arrives neighborhoods and the infrastructure improves.
    The primary damage is from increases in prices for homes and home/apartment rentals and commercial space. This results is drastic rent and home price increases, evictions and displacement.

  7. #177
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Anti-Tech Protesters Target VC With Vulgar Flyer

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    It isn't benefiting a few people thousands of people work for those companies so evidently it is being a good source of income for a lot of people.
    again if the people protesting did something like i don't know get the skills to maybe work for those companies they to could enjoy the benefits.

    you cry about good wage jobs then when they come you cry about something else. there is no pleasing the leftist of this country.
    Not everyone is in a position to learn new job skills that are highly specialized and somewhat difficult, especially older and low income people. There is also the problem that when there is another tech bust there will be a lot of unemployed tech workers. This happened last time. The young workers could move in with their parents. The older people were screwed for the next several years.
    Last edited by Hard Truth; 04-09-14 at 04:39 PM.

  8. #178
    Sage
    Glen Contrarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Bernie to the left of me, Hillary to the right, here I am...
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    15,538

    Re: Anti-Tech Protesters Target VC With Vulgar Flyer

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    It seemed more like a character from Deliverance.
    Do you remember one of the final scenes from that movie, where the guys had finally gotten away from the hillbillies and were sharing dinner with some old ladies? They were saying how big the corn was this year, how their gardens were growing...

    ...and that was my youth in a nutshell, sitting at the table listening to my family talk about how the garden was growing, how the crops of the local farmers were doing, and so forth.
    To do evil, a human being must first of all believe that what hes doing is good" - Solzhenitsyn

    "...with the terrorists, you have to take out their families." - Donald Trump

  9. #179
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:47 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,706

    Re: Anti-Tech Protesters Target VC With Vulgar Flyer

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Truth View Post
    Not everyone is in a position to learn new job skills that are highly specialized and somewhat difficult, especially older and low income people.
    then they will have to deal with the realities of not doing anything to improve yourselves. as i said you can't have it both ways. markets adjust to the situation.
    higher paying jobs and more people mean higher prices as demand grows.

  10. #180
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Anti-Tech Protesters Target VC With Vulgar Flyer

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Truth View Post
    The primary damage is from increases in prices for homes and home/apartment rentals and commercial space. This results is drastic rent and home price increases, evictions and displacement.
    Home prices generally go up in areas which become more prosperous. Many who own homes look on this as a good thing.

    Yes, rents are higher in prosperous areas moreso than in poorer neighborhoods. If we can't afford to live in high-end areas then we are generally forced to move to areas which we can afford, though few call it 'displacement'.. That's been generally accepted everywhere.

Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •