Page 58 of 128 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068108 ... LastLast
Results 571 to 580 of 1274

Thread: Economy adds 192,000 jobs; unemployment rate holds steady at 6.7%

  1. #571
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    US, California - federalist
    Last Seen
    11-12-16 @ 10:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,485

    Re: Economy adds 192,000 jobs; unemployment rate holds steady at 6.7%

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    I don't want research, I wanted to know what the hell you were trying to say.

    See, that's the problem I'm trying to get at here - your posts aren't communicating what you're trying to say.

    And you for some reason keep misunderstanding repeated requests for clarification as (apparently) counterpoints and/or requests for entirely different information.
    You have to understand the concepts.

  2. #572
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,745

    Re: Economy adds 192,000 jobs; unemployment rate holds steady at 6.7%

    Quote Originally Posted by danielpalos View Post
    you have to understand the concepts.
    what concepts?!?
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  3. #573
    Guru
    pinqy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    4,374

    Re: Economy adds 192,000 jobs; unemployment rate holds steady at 6.7%

    Quote Originally Posted by danielpalos View Post
    What makes you say that? What is your understanding of that concept?

    Yes, the infrastructure already exists in our republic. Why do you believe you understand the issues?

    In any case, what excuse could any Person have for staying poor on an at-will basis, if they could no longer claim to in official poverty?
    At will employment is the doctrine, long held in common law, that just as an employee is free to leave employment for any reason, so too an employer can end employment for any reason. Despite your claims of "at will state/jurisdictions" all states are employment at will, though most states have exceptions…usually public policy reasons or recognize implied contracts. Obviously, all states recognize explicit contracts, usually union bargaining, and some federal laws apply, such as EEO and the ADA.

    Eligibility for unemployment insurance benefits is in no way connected to at will employment.
    Therefore, since the world has still/Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure/Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would,/And train for ill and not for good.

  4. #574
    Guru
    pinqy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    4,374

    Re: Economy adds 192,000 jobs; unemployment rate holds steady at 6.7%

    Quote Originally Posted by danielpalos View Post
    How many Ux numbers are there regarding unemployment numbers.
    Just the U-3. The others are measures of underutilization, especially the U-4 to U-6 as they include people who are not unemployed, and the U-6 includes many employed in the numerator.

    Only the U-3 is official, though all 6 are valuable for looking at different aspects of the labor market.
    Therefore, since the world has still/Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure/Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would,/And train for ill and not for good.

  5. #575
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    US, California - federalist
    Last Seen
    11-12-16 @ 10:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,485

    Re: Economy adds 192,000 jobs; unemployment rate holds steady at 6.7%

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    what concepts?!?
    The concept of employment at will and solving simple poverty.

  6. #576
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    US, California - federalist
    Last Seen
    11-12-16 @ 10:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,485

    Re: Economy adds 192,000 jobs; unemployment rate holds steady at 6.7%

    Quote Originally Posted by pinqy View Post
    Just the U-3. The others are measures of underutilization, especially the U-4 to U-6 as they include people who are not unemployed, and the U-6 includes many employed in the numerator.

    Only the U-3 is official, though all 6 are valuable for looking at different aspects of the labor market.
    Shouldn't the actual number of "unemployed" be a better metric?

  7. #577
    Guru
    pinqy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    4,374

    Re: Economy adds 192,000 jobs; unemployment rate holds steady at 6.7%

    Quote Originally Posted by danielpalos View Post
    Shouldn't the actual number of "unemployed" be a better metric?
    The level? No, because changes in population would distort that. We have far more unemployed now than during the Depression, but that's because we have a much larger population. So percent of the labor force, the U-3 is better.

    But of course the level is published every month.
    Last edited by pinqy; 04-22-14 at 01:15 AM.
    Therefore, since the world has still/Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure/Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would,/And train for ill and not for good.

  8. #578
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    US, California - federalist
    Last Seen
    11-12-16 @ 10:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,485

    Re: Economy adds 192,000 jobs; unemployment rate holds steady at 6.7%

    Why do people "drop off the rolls" and are no longer counted?

  9. #579
    Guru
    pinqy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    4,374

    Re: Economy adds 192,000 jobs; unemployment rate holds steady at 6.7%

    Quote Originally Posted by danielpalos View Post
    Why do people "drop off the rolls" and are no longer counted?
    You should learn the concepts: There are no rolls, so no one falls off them. Either someone meets the definition, or they don't. Unemployed has never been the same as not working. Most people not working are not unemployed.
    Therefore, since the world has still/Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure/Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would,/And train for ill and not for good.

  10. #580
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,745

    Re: Economy adds 192,000 jobs; unemployment rate holds steady at 6.7%

    Quote Originally Posted by danielpalos View Post
    The concept of employment at will and solving simple poverty.
    Define those concepts.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •