Page 35 of 128 FirstFirst ... 2533343536374585 ... LastLast
Results 341 to 350 of 1274

Thread: Economy adds 192,000 jobs; unemployment rate holds steady at 6.7%

  1. #341
    Sage
    Slyfox696's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    7,966

    Re: Economy adds 192,000 jobs; unemployment rate holds steady at 6.7%

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Sorry, but you are an absolute waste of time.
    I guess if you cannot dispute facts, resort to things like this.

    I do suggest a reading comprehension course because when you say I don't understand something you actually show your reading comprehension problem. Let me see if I can say it a little louder for you. SOCIAL SECURITY WAS INTENDED TO BE A SUPPLEMENT AND NOT SOLE RETIREMENT.
    Which has absolutely nothing to do with how Social Security works. You can shout all you want, but it won't change the fact your describing what you believe to be the intention, NOT the structure. I was pointing out you don't understand the basic structure of how Social Security works. You seem to think Social Security is a retirement plan. It's not. It's not a supplement retirement plan nor is it a sole retirement plan. Nobody is owed any money because their spouse died.

    This is why I'm telling you to research what Social Security is. For all your shouting, for all the years you claim to have paid into it, you still do not understand how it works. If you spent less time trying to avoid admitting your ignorance on how Social Security works, and more time learning about how it works, it would be of great help to you.

    If you simply took the money you contributed to SS and your employers, put it in a simple untouchable savings account you would be shocked at how much you would have vs what you get in a monthly annuity and that money would belong to your family.
    But since Social Security is not a savings account, nor is it even comparable to a savings account in any way, you have no point here.

    The rest of your post is nothing but garbage.
    My post was nothing but fact. The idea of facts being garbage amuses me.

    The Federal Budget runs from October to September and to claim that Bush had a 1.2 trillion dollar deficit that he was leaving Obama is
    The truth. It's the plain truth. You can attempt all the partisan games you want, but it won't change the fact it was Bush's planned spending combined with a drastic reduction from expected revenue which led to the $1.2 trillion. No matter how hard you want to believe otherwise, Obama inherited the $1.2 trillion deficit.

    And anyone interested in truth, rather than partisanship, knows it.
    Last edited by Slyfox696; 04-11-14 at 05:19 PM.

  2. #342
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,250

    Re: Economy adds 192,000 jobs; unemployment rate holds steady at 6.7%

    Quote Originally Posted by danielpalos View Post
    Yes, simply because the left understands that the power to provide for the general welfare involves income transfers. Why not actually solve our social dilemmas instead of waging wars on them?
    The Preamble doesn't say PROVIDE for the general welfare but rather PROMOTE the general welfare. Do you understand the difference? NO, you don't. It isn't the role to provide or to transfer income. Look if you want to pay more then just do it, why aren't you?

  3. #343
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,250

    Re: Economy adds 192,000 jobs; unemployment rate holds steady at 6.7%

    Quote Originally Posted by danielpalos View Post
    In this case, it is about both federal and State governments not faithfully executing our own laws.
    Then change your state govt. Yours has been under Democrat control for decades and your debt is massive. You have the entitlement mentality in your state and see how it has worked for you? Over 1.5 million Californians make California minimum wage of $8 an hour. You cannot even solve your own problems yet you want to focus on national issues. Just like the Federal govt. you are putting your nose into something you have no business getting involved in.

  4. #344
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,250

    Re: Economy adds 192,000 jobs; unemployment rate holds steady at 6.7%

    Slyfox696;1063141848]I guess if you cannot dispute facts, resort to things like this.
    Wow, again reading comprehension isn't a strong suit of yours

    Which has absolutely nothing to do with how Social Security works. You can shout all you want, but it won't change the fact your describing what you believe to be the intention, NOT the structure. I was pointing out you don't understand the basic structure of how Social Security works. You seem to think Social Security is a retirement plan. It's not. It's not a supplement retirement plan nor is it a sole retirement plan. Nobody is owed any money because their spouse died.
    Yes, SS is a supplement, you have no clue. You have no idea what you are talking about and obviously have no problem "contributing" your income to this retirement supplement with the idea that should you die that money is gone and being spent on someone else. Nor do you seem to care that LBJ put SS on budget and had the money spent on things like the Vietnam War and everything other than the original intent. Now you can continue to spout rhetoric but all you do is destroy what little credibility you think you have. That money that is being contributed is yours and mine. both of us deserve to get it back since we were forced to contribute to the fund. Since it isn't a supplement in your world, what exactly do you think it is?

    This is why I'm telling you to research what Social Security is. For all your shouting, for all the years you claim to have paid into it, you still do not understand how it works. If you spent less time trying to avoid admitting your ignorance on how Social Security works, and more time learning about how it works, it would be of great help to you.
    Then why don't you tell me what it is and how it works since you believe I am wrong?

    But since Social Security is not a savings account, nor is it even comparable to a savings account in any way, you have no point here.
    Never said it was a savings account. Please post proof of that statement or admit you are wrong?

    My post was nothing but fact. The idea of facts being garbage amuses me.
    The only fact in your statement is the fact that you made the post.

    The truth. It's the plain truth. You can attempt all the partisan games you want, but it won't change the fact it was Bush's planned spending combined with a drastic reduction from expected revenue which led to the $1.2 trillion. No matter how hard you want to believe otherwise, Obama inherited the $1.2 trillion deficit.
    You mean the shovels never go to the American people for those shovel ready jobs? Do you even know what made up that 1.2 trillion PROJECTED deficit? Try doing some research for a change and since you quoted CBO you will find the information there. 750 billion of it was the TARP program and that was a loan that wasn't even all spent and most of it was paid back, where did that payback go and why didn't it reduce the deficit?

    And anyone interested in truth, rather than partisanship, knows it.
    Yes, I can see how much support you are getting here.

  5. #345
    Sage
    Slyfox696's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    7,966

    Re: Economy adds 192,000 jobs; unemployment rate holds steady at 6.7%

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Wow, again reading comprehension isn't a strong suit of yours
    And again, you manage to quote everyone else with no problems...

    Yes, SS is a supplement, you have no clue. You have no idea what you are talking about and obviously have no problem "contributing" your income to this retirement supplement with the idea that should you die that money is gone and being spent on someone else. Nor do you seem to care that LBJ put SS on budget and had the money spent on things like the Vietnam War and everything other than the original intent. Now you can continue to spout rhetoric but all you do is destroy what little credibility you think you have. That money that is being contributed is yours and mine. both of us deserve to get it back since we were forced to contribute to the fund. Since it isn't a supplement in your world, what exactly do you think it is?
    You're talking but not saying anything. Is it really so devastating to one's ego to research when they don't know something?

    Social Security is NOT a supplemental retirement plan, no matter what you wish to believe. Social Security is socialism, almost to its purest form.

    Then why don't you tell me what it is and how it works since you believe I am wrong?
    I know you're wrong. Why don't you do the research yourself? However, I'm feeling particularly generous on this fine Friday afternoon, so I'll go ahead and help you out. Keep in mind, this is not a nuanced explanation, but a basic one.

    As I mentioned before, Social Security is socialism, almost to the hilt. It is quite literally the expression "from each according to his ability, to those according to his contribution/deed". It is little more than government mandated transference of money from a worker to a qualified non-worker, with the financial amounts dependent upon how much one earns/has earned. What one pays in payroll taxes is not stored for the individual, it is passed out immediately (for theoretical purposes, we'll say immediately) to those who receive Social Security. Let's use an example.

    Let's say I pay $2 in payroll taxes and your SS benefits grant you $2. The $2 I paid does not go into some bank, it goes directly to you. It's not stored for me to retrieve when I retire, it directly goes to you. What I pay is not, in any way, a retirement plan. If Social Security ended tomorrow, I would (theoretically) be entitled to absolutely nothing, regardless of how much I've paid in.

    Where people get confused (and I'm going to guess this is what trips you up as well) is when we start talking about the Social Security Trust Fund. People think they pay into the Trust Fund and then receive their money in return when they retire. That's not true. The Trust Fund is simply the collection of overpayments from taxes. Let's go back to our example.

    If I pay $3 in payroll taxes, but you're only granted $2 in SS benefits, then you get $2 and the other $1 goes into the Trust Fund.

    The Trust Fund keeps these overpayments so if/when the day comes where the amount garnered in taxes comes in less than the amount going out in benefits, the benefits can still be paid for a certain length of time. However, in order to prevent these funds from falling victim to inflation (after all $1 today buys more today than it will in 10 years), the government borrows money from the Trust Fund and basically writes an IOU for the amount borrowed + a certain % increase on the principal. This protects future payouts to future generations. This is also why people talking about the debt in this country are greatly exaggerating the severity of the debt, as so much of the debt is owed to ourselves and will not come due all at the same time, nor can it ever be completely paid off (at least not as long as Social Security is solvent).

    So, now that we have a basic understanding of how Social Security works, let's go back and revisit your previous statements to show how I knew you didn't understand how Social Security works:


    Quote Originally Posted by You, from earlier View Post
    How dare the Federal Govt. spend the money people contributed to SS and Medicare on issues other than Medicare and SS.
    They "dare" because if they didn't borrow from the Trust Fund, then the monies in the fund would become ravaged by inflation.
    Quote Originally Posted by You, from earlier
    How dare people like you ignore the fact that the families of those people who die before collecting SS and Medicare lose their contributions.
    They didn't "lose" anything because Social Security is neither a retirement plan nor a savings account. Social Security is simply the transfer of money from those who are working to those who can no longer work.
    Quote Originally Posted by You, from earlier
    How dare personal responsibility be something you don't understand
    Do you now understand why I laughed about you criticizing someone for not understanding so soon after showing an obvious misunderstanding of how Social Security worked?
    Quote Originally Posted by You, from earlier
    People who contributed to SS and Medicare deserve to have their investment back.
    People who contributed to Social Security were not making an investment. They were providing for those who can no longer work, with the belief when they can no longer work, someone will provide for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by You, from earlier
    LOL, I contributed to SS for 35 years and you claim I don't know how it works?
    Do you understand now why I claimed you didn't? You know, because you didn't?
    Quote Originally Posted by You, from earlier
    SS was designed as a supplement
    No, SS was designed to protect those who could no longer earn a living (such as the elderly). It was designed to allow capable individuals help those who could were not. That's what Social Security was designed to do. As I said, it's pretty much pure socialism.


    Never said it was a savings account. Please post proof of that statement or admit you are wrong?
    I never claimed you said it was a savings account, but you essentially compared it to a savings account, which makes as much sense as comparing an apple to a quarterback.

    The only fact in your statement is the fact that you made the post.
    Everything I've said has been true. Just because you didn't realize it was true doesn't make it any less so.

    You mean the shovels never go to the American people for those shovel ready jobs?
    Again, you're trying to ignore the issue in order to regurgitate useless information.

    Do you even know what made up that 1.2 trillion PROJECTED deficit?
    Irrelevant to our discussion, as our discussion is focused on the fact Obama inherited a $1.2 trillion deficit and 5 years later, it's roughly half of that.

    You're trying to distract from the issue with tons of useless information. It won't change the fact that the moment Obama stepped into office, this country was projected to have a $1.2 trillion deficit. And it won't change the fact that roughly 5 years later, it was cut in half.

    During the time of Obama's policies, we've cut the deficit in half, regained all private sector jobs lost due to the recession, had a booming stock market and growth in GDP. You can try to distract all you want, but it won't change the truth.
    Yes, I can see how much support you are getting here.
    This comment is pretty ridiculous.
    Last edited by Slyfox696; 04-11-14 at 06:18 PM.

  6. #346
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,250

    Re: Economy adds 192,000 jobs; unemployment rate holds steady at 6.7%

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    And again, you manage to quote everyone else with no problems...

    You're talking but not saying anything. Is it really so devastating to one's ego to research when they don't know something?

    Social Security is NOT a supplemental retirement plan, no matter what you wish to believe. Social Security is socialism, almost to its purest form.

    I know you're wrong. Why don't you do the research yourself? However, I'm feeling particularly generous on this fine Friday afternoon, so I'll go ahead and help you out. Keep in mind, this is not a nuanced explanation, but a basic one.

    As I mentioned before, Social Security is socialism, almost to the hilt. It is quite literally the expression "from each according to his ability, to those according to his contribution/deed". It is little more than government mandated transference of money from a worker to a qualified non-worker, with the financial amounts dependent upon how much one earns/has earned. What one pays in payroll taxes is not stored for the individual, it is passed out immediately (for theoretical purposes, we'll say immediately) to those who receive Social Security. Let's use an example.

    Let's say I pay $2 in payroll taxes and your SS benefits grant you $2. The $2 I paid does not go into some bank, it goes directly to you. It's not stored for me to retrieve when I retire, it directly goes to you. What I pay is not, in any way, a retirement plan. If Social Security ended tomorrow, I would (theoretically) be entitled to absolutely nothing, regardless of how much I've paid in.

    Where people get confused (and I'm going to guess this is what trips you up as well) is when we start talking about the Social Security Trust Fund. People think they pay into the Trust Fund and then receive their money in return when they retire. That's not true. The Trust Fund is simply the collection of overpayments from taxes. Let's go back to our example.

    If I pay $3 in payroll taxes, but you're only granted $2 in SS benefits, then you get $2 and the other $1 goes into the Trust Fund.

    The Trust Fund keeps these overpayments so if/when the day comes where the amount garnered in taxes comes in less than the amount going out in benefits, the benefits can still be paid for a certain length of time. However, in order to prevent these funds from falling victim to inflation (after all $1 today buys more today than it will in 10 years), the government borrows money from the Trust Fund and basically writes an IOU for the amount borrowed + a certain % increase on the principal. This protects future payouts to future generations. This is also why people talking about the debt in this country are greatly exaggerating the severity of the debt, as so much of the debt is owed to ourselves and will not come due all at the same time, nor can it ever be completely paid off (at least not as long as Social Security is solvent).

    So, now that we have a basic understanding of how Social Security works, let's go back and revisit your previous statements to show how I knew you didn't understand how Social Security works:


    They "dare" because if they didn't borrow from the Trust Fund, then the monies in the fund would become ravaged by inflation.
    They didn't "lose" anything because Social Security is neither a retirement plan nor a savings account. Social Security is simply the transfer of money from those who are working to those who can no longer work.
    Do you now understand why I laughed about you criticizing someone for not understanding so soon after showing an obvious misunderstanding of how Social Security worked?
    People who contributed to Social Security were not making an investment. They were providing for those who can no longer work, with the belief when they can no longer work, someone will provide for them.
    Do you understand now why I claimed you didn't? You know, because you didn't?
    No, SS was designed to protect those who could no longer earn a living (such as the elderly). It was designed to allow capable individuals help those who could were not. That's what Social Security was designed to do. As I said, it's pretty much pure socialism.


    I never claimed you said it was a savings account, but you essentially compared it to a savings account, which makes as much sense as comparing an apple to a quarterback.

    Everything I've said has been true. Just because you didn't realize it was true doesn't make it any less so.

    Again, you're trying to ignore the issue in order to regurgitate useless information.

    Irrelevant to our discussion, as our discussion is focused on the fact Obama inherited a $1.2 trillion deficit and 5 years later, it's roughly half of that.

    You're trying to distract from the issue with tons of useless information. It won't change the fact that the moment Obama stepped into office, this country was projected to have a $1.2 trillion deficit. And it won't change the fact that roughly 5 years later, it was cut in half.

    During the time of Obama's policies, we've cut the deficit in half, regained all private sector jobs lost due to the recession, had a booming stock market and growth in GDP. You can try to distract all you want, but it won't change the truth.
    This comment is pretty ridiculous.
    Sorry but you are totally and completely wrong and have no idea why SS was created and its sole purpose nor do you understand how much money you and your employer are putting into the account. SS was supposed to be put into a Trust fund but LBJ along with Congress changed that rule in the 60's as they looked for a way to pay for the Vietnam War. That worked so well that they decided to keep it there and other Administrations had fun spending the money as well. At the time when there were more workers than retirees that wasn't a problem but as is typical of the Federal Govt. they had no foresight at all and that is why we have trillions in unfunded liabilities today. What you are buying is the liberal interpretation of SS not the original intent.

    The draft bill submitted by FDR differed in many interesting respects from the final Social Security Act which emerged from Congress in August 1935. For example, FDR had proposed a three-part program of old-age security consisting of: old-age welfare pensions; compulsory contributory social insurance (what we now think of as Social Security); and a third-tier which would consist of optional annuity certificates sold by the government to workers who, upon retirement, could convert the certificates to monthly annuities which would be used as supplements to their basic Social Security retirement benefit.


    Amazing how liberal legislation gets changed and distorted over time.

    As for the projected budget surplus please a simple yes or no, was TARP included in that projection?

  7. #347
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    US, California - federalist
    Last Seen
    11-12-16 @ 10:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,485

    Re: Economy adds 192,000 jobs; unemployment rate holds steady at 6.7%

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    The Preamble doesn't say PROVIDE for the general welfare but rather PROMOTE the general welfare. Do you understand the difference? NO, you don't. It isn't the role to provide or to transfer income. Look if you want to pay more then just do it, why aren't you?
    Article 1, Section 8 says provide. Why wage wars on abstractions while claiming we only need to cut social spending for the least wealthy.

  8. #348
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,250

    Re: Economy adds 192,000 jobs; unemployment rate holds steady at 6.7%

    Quote Originally Posted by danielpalos View Post
    Article 1, Section 8 says provide. Why wage wars on abstractions while claiming we only need to cut social spending for the least wealthy.
    Article 1, Section 8 was changed by politicians who realize they could buy votes by spending money in the name of compassion and keep their jobs almost forever because of the entitlement programs they have created. That doesn't wash with the Preamble and the word Promote. Our Founders are turning over in their grave because of people like you

    You don't get it nor do you understand the role of the Federal, State, and local governments. Noticed you continue to ignore your own state and its problems which is typical liberal diversion when you don't have an answer for California's failures.

  9. #349
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    US, California - federalist
    Last Seen
    11-12-16 @ 10:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,485

    Re: Economy adds 192,000 jobs; unemployment rate holds steady at 6.7%

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Article 1, Section 8 was changed by politicians who realize they could buy votes by spending money in the name of compassion and keep their jobs almost forever because of the entitlement programs they have created. That doesn't wash with the Preamble and the word Promote. Our Founders are turning over in their grave because of people like you

    You don't get it nor do you understand the role of the Federal, State, and local governments. Noticed you continue to ignore your own state and its problems which is typical liberal diversion when you don't have an answer for California's failures.
    Promote is in the preamble, in Case their is Any question about which way it should be interpreted. Only incompetent politicians do what you claim since they are supposed to be providing for the common defense and general welfare of the United States.

    Our State was running massive State surpluses when the federal government was running massive federal surpluses.

  10. #350
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,250

    Re: Economy adds 192,000 jobs; unemployment rate holds steady at 6.7%

    Quote Originally Posted by danielpalos View Post
    Promote is in the preamble, in Case their is Any question about which way it should be interpreted. Only incompetent politicians do what you claim since they are supposed to be providing for the common defense and general welfare of the United States.

    Our State was running massive State surpluses when the federal government was running massive federal surpluses.
    Your state has no massive surpluses as your legislature continues to kick the can down the road. Your state is exactly what you want the country to become and that is a fiscal disaster with an entitlement mentality.

Page 35 of 128 FirstFirst ... 2533343536374585 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •